Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not showing up to an exam?

Options
  • 09-06-2017 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Just wondering if i decide not to show up to an exam will it be printed on my leaving cert as an NG or will it not appear at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

akl98 wrote: »
    Just wondering if i decide not to show up to an exam will it be printed on my leaving cert as an NG or will it not appear at all?

Why are you thinking of not showing up?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Can't answer your question, but sitting the exam is definitely a better idea than missing it.

I'd think it shows up as NG though.

I skipped biology back in 2000. It doesn't show up on my results at all. Not an NG.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭aon1998

If there was a project/oral it will still show up

• Registered Users Posts: 12 akl98

I am shocking at applied maths and think I will fail it. It won't be counted in my top 6 even if I did show up and I would rather not have to put in the work just to fail .

• Advertisement

I am shocking at applied maths and think I will fail it. It won't be counted in my top 6 even if I did show up and I would rather not have to put in the work just to fail .

Ok seems logical.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As aon1998 said, if there have been any marks submitted already, like for an oral, or practical or project, then if you do not show up for the exam you will be given the marks for the components already submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭aon1998

I don't know what the general consensus will be here, but if that's how you feel then don't go in and sit it but make sure it isn't going to be decision you'll regret in the future and most importantly talk to people about it. Your parents probably won't be amused with the idea but maybe talk to other family relations and older friends.

It would also be good to give your school a call to get in touch with your teacher, they should know best.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What did you get in your pre?

What did you get in your pre?

i got 34% but I haven't been putting in any work recently because of other subjects

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Don't you need maths to get into any course?

Is applied maths different from regular maths?

i got 34% but I haven't been putting in any work recently because of other subjects

34% is a pretty good mark.

eeguy wrote: »
    Don't you need maths to get into any course?

Is applied maths different from regular maths?

yes it's different it's an extra subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

A young man in my family dropped out of the whole LC at the very last minute because he just thought he was going to fail. Almost destroyed his parents. He has regretted it ever since - he is in his 30's now. Just thought you might like to know from a family who has gone through it. Pass or fail, he now wonders how he might have got on had he just turned up.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    A young man in my family dropped out of the whole LC at the very last minute because he just thought he was going to fail. Almost destroyed his parents. He has regretted it ever since - he is in his 30's now. Just thought you might like to know from a family who has gone through it. Pass or fail, he now wonders how he might have got on had he just turned up.

Only one exam though. not the whole leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Dropping out entirely vs skipping one exam isn't comparible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Very true, but maths helps when it comes to jobs.

Very true, but maths helps when it comes to jobs.

The poster will still turn up for maths, just not applied maths, which is a separate subject.

I am still doing the leaving cert just not one subject. I do 8 subjects so dropping my weakest one won't affect my points/college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I am still doing the leaving cert just not one subject. I do 8 subjects so dropping my weakest one won't affect my points/college.

Spending 3-4 hours studying on another subject is probably a better option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Honestly I was in the exact same position as you OP last year regarding applied maths! Failed it for my pre and didn't bother much with it after that. If it's any consolation tho I did manage to get a C2 in the end, with a bit of work in the two days I had free before the exam, so you might surprise yourself.

If it is causing you stress tho and you honestly don't think you'll need it for points or anything, drop it! No point stressing yourself out, especially not during your other exams.

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Honestly I was in the exact same position as you OP last year regarding applied maths! Failed it for my pre and didn't bother much with it after that. If it's any consolation tho I did manage to get a C2 in the end, with a bit of work in the two days I had free before the exam, so you might surprise yourself.

If it is causing you stress tho and you honestly don't think you'll need it for points or anything, drop it! No point stressing yourself out, especially not during your other exams.

Yeah I have one full day before the exam so I'll see how confident I'm feeling then as I dont really want it to affect my other subjects. Thanks for the reply!

Go and do it. You might scrape a pass. What have you got to lose?

Good luck!!!! You can do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Go and do it. You might scrape a pass. What have you got to lose?

Good luck!!!! You can do it

Or the examiner might misprint a 36 to be 86!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

OP, I think your biggest fear is failing and always having it on your results correct?
    I don't know what I'd do in your situation to be honest. The one thing I do know is once you go to college and get into your course.
    You build your CV around your course and your leaving cert almost becomes forgotten about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Also remember your mocks are marked much harder than the actual exam.
    You'll probably pass if you show up. It's only 2 hours of your time. Never know what might come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Is it just that you don't want to be able to see it on the cert? I can honestly tell you that neither you nor anyone else will ever look at that cert again after that day. Mine is gathering dust in a folder and hasn't seen the light of day in 10 years. When applying for jobs just leave it out of your cv. After college nobody even bothers putting LC results down on CV. You probably won't fail it. 34% has potential to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Back in the day the first Applied Maths exam I passed was my leaving cert, and ended up getting the best grade in the year, so don't judge too much by the pre. I've never been asked for my LC transcript for employers, not even sure where it is. IMO you'll always be wondering if you don't do it. No idea how long until the exam but it's one of the last ones and you can fit a surprising amount of work in before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

34% is a pretty good mark.
    Indeed it is. It's better than 33 other percents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I did the irish oral and never showed for the written and it never turned up on my results

Advertisement