Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea water swim - blaaagh!

Options
  • 09-06-2017 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Sometimes I wonder why I'm putting myself through this triathlon stuff!
    Did my first attempt at a triathlon training sea swim this evening. I can cover the distance and breathe to both sides.
    Sea was fairly calm. Cold but bearable. But OMG, the salt water was awful. Felt like I was going to puke. Had to head back after 100m and swim with my head out of the water.
    Does everyone find it so horrible? Any tips? Or should I just stick to fresh water? Don't suppose you can do a triathlon with a snorkel?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Stick with it... or wear a nose plug if it's absolutely unbearable. It's one of lifes great freedoms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Don't be drinking it! Take your time and concentrate on form and you won't notice the difference after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Use googles goggles - they massively improved my water confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Eh, you're not supposed to DRINK it!

Kidding aside, it's not nice to get a mouthful when you're taking a breath of air but it's one more reason to get used to OW swimming before your first event. Freshwater swimming is tastier; you just have to be wary of Weil's disease...enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭griffin100

Getting in the water is half the battle, the comfort will come with practice.

You may need to rotate your head more when breathing to take account of the rougher water or modify your head position slightly. In the pool you're trying to keep the head turn to a minimum, in OW you may have to position and turn the head differently to get your mouth out of the rough water. Also get used to water entering your mouth but not swallowing it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jemm

Try wearing swim earplugs (you'll get 2 sets in Boots for a fiver)..don't know if it's placebo or not but it has helped me & I don't feel seasick anymore. Stick with it & you'll enjoy it after a few attempts!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

If you've spent your life swimming in a pool doing laps, then transitioning to open water is a bit of a learning curve.

Its a different swimming style completely. I spend a bit more effort taking breaths a little higher, competing with waves and the tide.

It's far more exhilarating and you get such a buzz! I do anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

Thanks guys, will stick with it another while. Don't think I expected it to be so salty! 🀢

Advertisement