Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of building a new house limerick

Options
  • 10-06-2017 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey everyone, before I start I know the answer to this question can vary to a large degree but I'm just looking for ballpark figures. I'm in west limerick and I own land, approximately how much would it cost to build a story and a half home, say about 2,300-2,500sq/ft.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

300/400k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

110ft/2 is what my work colleague aimed for in Glin

Builders finish, no fancy materials etc

He went up to 140ft/2 in the end for a good finish on 2100ft/2, you only do it once, really nice house now

Your looking at guts of 350k imo

Labour is going up and up he was finding

Started in early 2015 finished summer 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 treatyboy77

Really....350k, that seems very high. Been speaking to plenty builders and they don't think it would cost near that amount

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Why did you ask the question here then?!

• Advertisement

I was only speaking to the builders since I asked on here. Good contribution to the thread though Ustari well done. Why does anyone ask a question here when they have the internet at their disposal??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

ustari wrote: »
    Why did you ask the question here then?!

Yup "why ask a question if you already know the answer?"- would tend to agree with that ustari.

Good man Damien you clearly can't read English, I said I didn't talk to the builders until after I asked. God

Good man Damien you clearly can't read English, I said I didn't talk to the builders until after I asked. God

hey you asked a question then got a couple of answers and you didn't like them not my fault!

Never once said I didn't like the answers.

• Advertisement

well then re-read them they are reasonable answers imo.

So asking me why I asked the question on here is a reasonable answer to my original query?? And bare in mind before you piped up I had explained how I only asked around after my original post

Look at the time line - there was 3 mins between the posts - I didn't see your post before I posted my comment.
    So yeah I can see how that would be annoying if I had not read your response.
    Now that I have, I see what you mean, but I still think the first couple of answers you got were spot on.
    300k probably the cheapest end of the scale - 400k the upper end of the scale.

Hey everyone, before I start I know the answer to this question can vary to a large degree but I'm just looking for ballpark figures. I'm in west limerick and I own land, approximately how much would it cost to build a story and a half home, say about 2,300-2,500sq/ft.

Is this 'builder finish' or 'turn key'

There's potentially in excess of 100k in the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Got three quotes in county Limerick recently. To builders finish, 238k, 243k and 253k. By the time its finished with kitchen, some furniture and a few rooms finished you are probably talking around 290-300k, a lot will come down to standard of furnishings etc.... No landscaping.

House is 2,444sqft. Storey and a half.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Got three quotes in county Limerick recently. To builders finish, 238k, 243k and 253k. By the time its finished with kitchen, some furniture and a few rooms finished you are probably talking around 290-300k, a lot will come down to standard of furnishings etc.... No landscaping.

House is 2,444sqft. Storey and a half.
    that's a great price considering you hadn't picked heating system a month ago.

Should we add 50k for a small bit of contingency?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭johntune

€140 per square foot in Munster is the the price I have received from a few builders.

BryanF wrote: »
    Is this 'builder finish' or 'turn key
    It would be great if posters would acknowledge the difference as new visitors may not be familiar with the various pie in the sky m2 rates we know and love..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭Jofspring

BryanF wrote: »
    that's a great price considering you hadn't picked heating system a month ago.

The Quotes included a pc sum of €18,500 for Heating system not including MHRV because at the time I didn't know if I was going for it. Quotes since have come in at €22,000 for A2W, UFH and MHRV. Which I am very happy with. There was a zinc finish on a section of the house included in the quotes too which is coming off saving approx €5,000 meaning it kind of balances out there.

Quotes are based off a BOQ so I think a contingency of €50,000 would be extremely high. Ive already added approx 50k for finishes, furnishing etc.. bringing it up to the 290-300k mark. House will not be completely furnished or every room finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dcmb1984

Jofspring wrote:
    Quotes are based off a BOQ so I think a contingency of €50,000 would be extremely high. Ive already added approx 50k for finishes, furnishing etc.. bringing it up to the 290-300k mark. House will not be completely furnished or every room finished.

BryanF wrote:

50k contingency is indeed high. Cant beat the professional's for their sky high figures. Its a wonder he didnt say 100k. I wonder is it because these professionals get a % of the ( their ) build costs. Everybody elses wants your money when you go building. Remeber its your money and double question everyone who asks you for some of it.

• Advertisement

Dcmb1984 wrote: »
    50k contingency is indeed high. Cant beat the professional's for their sky high figures. Its a wonder he didnt say 100k. I wonder is it because these professionals get a % of the ( their ) build costs. Everybody elses wants your money when you go building. Remeber its your money and double question everyone who asks you for some of it.

Previous poster discussed 300k build

A contingency is for a project that hasn't started yet.

A professional gets paid to study the project and provide costing..

Is ~15% contingency unreasonable at 'design stage'?

Did you pay for service based on final project cost?

What % did you pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dcmb1984

BryanF wrote:
    Did you pay for service based on final project cost?

BryanF wrote:
    Is ~15% contingency unreasonable at 'design stage'?

BryanF wrote:
    What % did you pay?

I kept as my "professionals" out of my project as possible. One professional tells you that you need another and so on. Suddenly you have 3 or 4 professionals on your books that all want a few thousand each for their services. I kept them all outside the gate looking in. These professionals are scratching each others backs. Did the research myself and made my own decisions.
    I won't say what ive paid as I know from previous post in various groups you'll say its cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

100-110 euro a square foot is the going rate in the mid-west now

Advertisement