Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is usually included in a house sale?

Options
  • 10-06-2017 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

I know if there's anything specific it should be included in the contract. But what is generally included? What does 'fixtures and fittings' cover?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

barneyrub wrote: »
    I know if there's anything specific it should be included in the contract. But what is generally included? What does 'fixtures and fittings' cover?
    Thanks

If you want something specify it. I believe for our sale we stated all blinds, curtains and integrated kitchen appliances. The owners want to take one set of curtains with them and that was stated in the contract.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Anything that doesn't require a nailbar to remove typically.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭barneyrub

Thanks. Wondering about shelving/bathroom cabinets etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Depends on. Ask the EA, they usually know and it's also outlined in the contract. In a lot of cases fixed cabinets and kitchen appliances remain as well as light fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Really depends and you should most definitely seek claification from the E.A. and seller and have it all written into the contract so as there is no misunderstanding.
    I have seen a house where the buyer was lucky that the paint and wallpaper were left behind.
    Take nothing for granted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Typically there is no controversy about carpets and curtains. Even then it must be explicit. There can be an issue about putting them in the contract. The bank will not accept them as security and subtract the notional value from the value of the house before calculating the LTV. If you are tight on the LTV you may just have to trust the other side.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Fixtures and fittings usually covers things like flooring and light fixtures. However, my advice would be if it's not specified in the contract, plan as though it's not going to be there.

My aunt and uncle bought a house a few years ago and all the vendors were short of doing was taking the copper out of the walls! All the flooring apart from the kitchen and bathroom was removed (They had tiles) curtains and poles were gone, even the bloody light switches had been taken out. As another poster said further up, it was a wonder they didn't take the wallpaper off the walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Toots wrote: »
    Fixtures and fittings usually covers things like flooring and light fixtures. However, my advice would be if it's not specified in the contract, plan as though it's not going to be there.

My aunt and uncle bought a house a few years ago and all the vendors were short of doing was taking the copper out of the walls! All the flooring apart from the kitchen and bathroom was removed (They had tiles) curtains and poles were gone, even the bloody light switches had been taken out. As another poster said further up, it was a wonder they didn't take the wallpaper off the walls.

It is not uncommon in the US to see if a house was foreclosed were the owners stripped the place of doors, light fittings, switches, radiators, fireplaces, etc etc. Even during the recession, it was not uncommon to see stripped houses on myhome.ie

Some people have ridiculous expectations of what they will get included in the sale eg the €1500 washing machine or the €3000 fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Fixtures and fittings are routinely included in the sale. That covers anything that's fixed or fitted, and that can't be removed without diminishing the value of the property. If the vendor wants to take any of the fixtures and fittings away he can specify this in the contract, but the default is that they go with the property.

Other stuff - e.g. curtains, furnishings - does not go with the property, unless the contract says that it does.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Depends- if you expect something to be there- make sure its in the contract.
    I was commiserating with a new neighbour who discovered at the weekend that the seller had taken the fireplace, bathroom cabinets and every lightbulb in the place- but left a crap washing machine, dishwasher and fridge- all of which *were* specifically mentioned in the contract- but are going to have to be dumped.

Assume you're getting nothing- and if you specifically want something- put it in the contract. Conversely- if you specifically want rid of something- also put that in the contract- might save you hiring a skip on day 1.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Depends- if you expect something to be there- make sure its in the contract.
    I was commiserating with a new neighbour who discovered at the weekend that the seller had taken the fireplace, bathroom cabinets and every lightbulb in the place- but left a crap washing machine, dishwasher and fridge- all of which *were* specifically mentioned in the contract- but are going to have to be dumped.

Assume you're getting nothing- and if you specifically want something- put it in the contract. Conversely- if you specifically want rid of something- also put that in the contract- might save you hiring a skip on day 1.

Vacant possession means all clutter must be removed. Don't close until everything is gone. No need for the buyer to hire a skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭barneyrub

Thank you all. We're both buyers and sellers (hopefully) but wondered was I missing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

It is not uncommon in the US to see if a house was foreclosed were the owners stripped the place of doors, light fittings, switches, radiators, fireplaces, etc etc. Even during the recession, it was not uncommon to see stripped houses on myhome.ie

Some people have ridiculous expectations of what they will get included in the sale eg the €1500 washing machine or the €3000 fridge

That's pretty expensive white goods.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Our fridge was built in, so I was expecting that to be left - it was. What I was surprised to see was that the vendor also left the washing machine, which was less than a year old. I'd budgeted to have to buy a new one, so it was a pleasant surprise. They also left a crap hoover, a pair of underpants (in a kitchen cupboard for some reason) and a full set of Moet champagne glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

They also left a crap hoover, a pair of underpants (in a kitchen cupboard for some reason) and a full set of Moet champagne glasses.
    Sounds like the leftovers from a house-leaving party.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Sounds like the leftovers from a house-leaving party.

No the place was spotless other than that. Apparently the couple selling it were divorcing so I suspect the glasses were a wedding present neither of them wanted. Dunno what the craic with the undies was though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Dunno what the craic with the undies was though.

Maybe they belonged to the cause of the divorce...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

No the place was spotless other than that. Apparently the couple selling it were divorcing so I suspect the glasses were a wedding present neither of them wanted. Dunno what the craic with the undies was though.

Possibly used as a duster?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

In our case we got blinds and curtains and a few shelves that were fixed to the wall. Kitchen presses were also there, but all appliances had been removed. We were offered the furniture and appliances at the time (at a cost obviously) but we said we didn't want anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

We left a bottle of champagne in the kitchen for our buyers, maybe he just got fed up, drank the bottle, stripped naked and done a legger.

• Advertisement

We're closing soon on a house that was unoccupied for 2 years and the contracts say kitchen including appliances (the kitchen is some selfbuild lethal sh*te in a matte black colour), light fixtures, curtains, stove and everything else that's built-in. There was a bit of clutter that was tactically moved to the shed from the vendor :pac:

There is a bit of clutter, but we decided to hiring the skip (have to anyway for work that needs to be done) and negotiated with the vendor. Got the house very cheap, so I'll fork out the skip, no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Best advice our solicitor gave us was to walk the house the day before closure to check what is/isn't there and to double check that they emptied the attic. The attic was actually her own sale where they ended up taking 3 slips of the previous owners junk out of the attic when they thought the house was clear. When we walked the house they had left couches, beds etc which were not specified. Estate agents removed them the next morning before sale.

We did get some things specifically transferred as part of our bid/sale. That was the washing machine, fridge, cooker and kitchen table/chairs. The house had been rented then vacant for six months before purchase so it suited the vendors and us for them to be wrapped up in the sale.

Also had no issue with LTV from the banks for them but they were 10 years old so maybe the bank didn't care? It's worked for us as we've now had a chance to start saving a buffer again to replace them with A rated appliances rather than getting the cheapest of the cheap as we were broke moving in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

LirW wrote: »
    We're closing soon on a house that was unoccupied for 2 years and the contracts say kitchen including appliances (the kitchen is some selfbuild lethal sh*te in a matte black colour), light fixtures, curtains, stove and everything else that's built-in. There was a bit of clutter that was tactically moved to the shed from the vendor :pac:

There is a bit of clutter, but we decided to hiring the skip (have to anyway for work that needs to be done) and negotiated with the vendor. Got the house very cheap, so I'll fork out the skip, no problem.

Just a bit of advice, try putting everything up as items free on adverts for collection if you are anywhere near Dublin or a city in particular. We got rid of the kitchen chairs and a divan double bed base plus lots of miscellaneous stuff of our own that way as we moved in. Saves the cost of a skip

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is hard to get wallpaper off without tearing it. They were probably too mean to get a steamer.

Just a bit of advice, try putting everything up as items free on adverts for collection if you are anywhere near Dublin or a city in particular. We got rid of the kitchen chairs and a divan double bed base plus lots of miscellaneous stuff of our own that way as we moved in. Saves the cost of a skip

Thank you, this is the plan. Nearest towns would be Arklow and Gorey, but I'm hoping for the best :D

Advertisement