Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car age and insurance info

Options
  • 10-06-2017 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Sorry people if this has been covered.

What's the story with age? Is it ten years old, or 15? Do ins. co.s not qoute atall or just qoute more? Do all co.s do this or just some ? Is the loading graduated with age?
    Are cars older than the cut off point (if there is one ) much devalued?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

15 years seems to be the point where you will run in to problems.
    Two of the country's biggest motor insurers, Aviva and Allianz, are refusing to provide cover to new customers driving cars 15 years or older, even if they hold a valid NCT proving that their vehicles are safe to drive.

AXA Insurance said it had one of the widest acceptance criteria in the market and did not restrict vehicles but would seek a copy of the current NCT.

FBD said the age of the vehicle was a factor, but it would not result in cover being refused.

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/insurers-refuse-to-cover-older-vehicles-31397715.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I switched to Axa this year for a better price than my renewal for my 17 year old car. They did ask me how long I'd owned it.

Advertisement