Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recording, proof for workplace bullying

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 crusoe

cml387 wrote: »
    The problem is I suspect the boss wouldn't act even if he had video/audio evidence I'm afraid because the workplace seems so toxic.

I'm afraid a complaint of assault to the Gardai seems to be your only way out of this if, as you say, moving jobs is not an option (though why I don't know).

It's an option to move job, but It's very hard to find one in this area, and im very bad in finding job, and interviews. A bit scared of that too. Also I find no time. I finish late every day, i sleep bad too since these things happened. (and this was not the only case I was involved in, there was other case when they complained against me /I note I believe unfairly/. Ok I know it sounds like excuses, and maybe a little bit it is... I liked this job, I liked the people (even my boss! I still like him, I still think he is a victim too in this case.. bullied by the other collegue... he was once down the floor looked like heart attack when the other collegue annoyed him so much... yet he did nothing.. (he said his hand is tied he cant do nothing) but I start believe I'm wrong and I should follow all the advices from here...

I don't see other option but find some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Crusoe you have a very strong case here. Definitely do not let this go. Have you found your copy of that letter you signed? If not ask your boss for another copy of it ASAP. If he asks why, just tell him you lost yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

crusoe wrote: »
    My quesiton is still same if anyone can answer? Can I get in trouble if I record my collegue using obscenity, calling me names, or threatening me things like that? Also what If i record it 'secretly' does it make a difference ?

You cannot get into trouble for recording him. Whether the recording would be admissable in evidence is another question. No need to worry about it until it arises.

Nobody in any circumstances can stop you from going to the Garda Siochana. If your boss has tried to tie you to that he is an utter prik. Go to the guards. If your boss continues to act the ass soul you may also need to talk to a solicitor,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

pilly wrote: »
    So after 6 years working somewhere OP should leave because some arsehole thinks it's okay to shove him around and the manager is too weak to deal with it?

That would be called constructive dismissal.

Yes, there is a time when the only option is to pack your bags - especially when your health, well being and all-round enjoyment of life is suffering greatly from the situation. No laws, regulations or statutes in the world will make up for the misery of working with toxic people; In a small working environment, unfortunately, the "health" of the workplace lies on the ability from the manager(s) to be fair and assertive.

It seems clear from the OP's explanation that his "boss" (it isn't clear, but I think he might be the owner of the business) and his colleagues more or less side with "I'll smash your face!" guy, be it for personal reasons or because they might be afraid of him themselves. I can't really see any possible escape route from that, other than moving to a new opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

crusoe wrote: »
    We are all here for 6 years. Me my boss and the colleague. And unfortunately some other colleagues who (I think fear to confront that guy too so) they almost never stand up on my side... Actually more likely they go on his side... Or saying "Thats him.. Or just joking.
    Or it wasnt serious. Or Youn overreacting it"

Then why wont you go to the Guards about it? You have hit a dead end at work, take it to the authorities. It sounds like you are just making excuses not to by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Yes, there is a time when the only option is to pack your bags - especially when your health, well being and all-round enjoyment of life is suffering greatly from the situation. No laws, regulations or statutes in the world will make up for the misery of working with toxic people; In a small working environment, unfortunately, the "health" of the workplace lies on the ability from the manager(s) to be fair and assertive.

It seems clear from the OP's explanation that his "boss" (it isn't clear, but I think he might be the owner of the business) and his colleagues more or less side with "I'll smash your face!" guy, be it for personal reasons or because they might be afraid of him themselves. I can't really see any possible escape route from that, other than moving to a new opportunity.

Wrong. Firstly you don't know how easy or difficult it will be for OP to secure alternative employment. If right is done here the ultimate solution is dismissal of Mr. "smash your face."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭mistersifter

As advised, write down detailed notes about every single detail of each incident that has occurred until now and keep doing this for any future incidents. Report all of it to the Gardai. It seems the letter they made you sign is rubbish. If everything you say is true, you'll be in the stronger position even if you are (which you're probably not) breaching some rule about not recording or reporting. Not sure what the exact nature of your business is but if your boss has a boss, go to them. Is there a head office or anything? Your boss sounds like a gormless little sh*t and should have to face up to the consequences for helping someone to bully you. Do not leave your job because of these people.

Crusoe you have a very strong case here. Definitely do not let this go. Have you found your copy of that letter you signed? If not ask your boss for another copy of it ASAP. If he asks why, just tell him you lost yours.

I asked a copy of it, and I just realized other papers r missing too, the "hand written" notes from the meating that I rememwr I signed. And also the typed version of that I dont remember signing it he gave me a copy of the unsigned version of it saying he cant find the signed one but he look next week...I also asked a copy from the "minutes" of meeting of the other guy (the guy i complained about) boss said he not sure if he can give to me so waiting for the answer from his solicitor. Basicly I asked it ca i realized that i didnt get answer of some my questions for example that the guy said he "recorded me so dont lie" and i asked my coss where is this record he said "i didn't receive any record from him".. So i dontknow how he investigated this, did he even ask him about the record... Sorry for the bad typing i use my phone...

So answer your question i got a copy of it (when i sign not to go to garda) but now im missig the hand written + printed versions of the investigation meeting. "luckily" was only 2 meeting. One with me +boss+ a colleague as my company. And one the other party.The case ia closed weeks ago. I do not hace copies of the meetings, im not sure if i signed the printed "notes". Im waiting now for a copy of that.And I definitely didn't get a copy from the other meeting as i mentioned. Sorry for repeating myself its hard to edit this on phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Anything concrete on the recording issue? Can you record someone you know is going to abuse you ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Minera

Cut out the nonsense and find yourself a solicitor they will advise you and your employer. Do not inform your employer or any other work colleagues until you have legal advice.
    You as an employee have rights to a safe work environment and your employer is ignoring his duty of care towards this right.

Minera wrote: »
    Cut out the nonsense and find yourself a solicitor they will advise you and your employer. Do not inform your employer or any other work colleagues until you have legal advice.
    You as an employee have rights to a safe work environment and your employer is ignoring his duty of care towards this right.

What do you mean by cut out the nonsense exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,237 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's so many ways to do it offically and covert that the company should support and seek both. At the end of the day I'd just move on if my concrete evidence was not accepted.

There's so many ways to do it offically and covert that the company should support and seek both. At the end of the day I'd just move on if my concrete evidence was not accepted.

It's just frustrating if you know someone is being badly bullied and the bully is getting away with it .

Advertisement