Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing thermal monocular?

Options
  • 10-06-2017 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Anyone a bit wiser than myself.....I'm heading to the USA in august and fancyed a pulsar thermal monocular.
    Can this be brought home without hassle does anyone know?
    If it's hassle I won't bother!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

You need an export licence

"EXPORT REGULATIONS

Export of night vision equipment and optical sighting equipment is controlled by the U.S. Department of State Office of Defense Trade Controls, in accordance with International Traffic in Arms (ITAR), Title 22, Code of Federal Regulations Part 120—130 and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) U.S. Department of Commerce.

It is unlawful to export, or attempt to export or otherwise transfer or sell any hardware or technical data or furnish any service to any foreign person, whether abroad or in the United States, for which a license or written approval of the U.S. Government is required, without first obtaining the required license or written approval from the Department of the U.S. Government having jurisdiction."

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

juice1304 wrote: »
    You need an export licence

"EXPORT REGULATIONS

Export of night vision equipment and optical sighting equipment is controlled by the U.S. Department of State Office of Defense Trade Controls, in accordance with International Traffic in Arms (ITAR), Title 22, Code of Federal Regulations Part 120—130 and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) U.S. Department of Commerce.

It is unlawful to export, or attempt to export or otherwise transfer or sell any hardware or technical data or furnish any service to any foreign person, whether abroad or in the United States, for which a license or written approval of the U.S. Government is required, without first obtaining the required license or written approval from the Department of the U.S. Government having jurisdiction."
    Is it the same bringing something from the U.K.? I just booked my tickets to the Game Fair outside London this year and am considering getting a Nite Site viper if they have good deals at their stand out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

As I understand it, passive night optics in the RoI require licensing.

Bringing into the Republic sans license can cause you serious grief, it seems.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Kran wrote: »
    Is it the same bringing something from the U.K.? I just booked my tickets to the Game Fair outside London this year and am considering getting a Nite Site viper if they have good deals at their stand out there.

Nope,PROVIDED it is not weapons mountable. Monoculars,head sets,binos et al are freely ownable here in the ROI.Put them on a firearm and it becomes a different matter.But like silencers,not impossible to get a ticket for them.
    However,depending on the seller,the current moon phase,whether Picies is in the cusp of Capricorn or some other quare reasons some UK dealers will not sell to Ireland.:)
    As I understand it, passive night optics in the RoI require licensing.

Bringing into the Republic sans license can cause you serious grief, it seems.

tac

As aboove.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

@Mods
    Could we put this in an important thread? It seems to crop up pretty regulary?

As per the Webby Texas online shop 2016.. This relates to this particular shop..So if you use them PLEASE CHECK current validity of this.If you are going to use anyone else ASK if they do exports from the US under the following:
    Licsense Exception Strategic Trade Administration [STA] in paragraph 740.20 in the US admin Regulations (15 CFR 740.20) If they dont know what that is..You can be sure they wont ship. If they have never heard of the following...Ultimate Consignee Statement agreeing to the terms and conditions of the STA License Exception Dont waste your time with them.

International Orders

Webyshops.com and its niche sites ship eligible and export compliant products worldwide. We consider orders that are placed to ship outside of the United States and orders placed to ship within the United States but placed with an international payment to be an international order.

Be advised that all international orders receive a special level of scrutiny due to fraud protection concerns as well as export regulation compliance reviews. Some of the domestic policies and special programs may not apply to international orders. Due to extra review time required, international orders typically take longer to process than domestic orders. We appreciate your patience in this matter.
    Read more about the payment verification here.

Export Licensing

Certain products such as rifle scopes, optical sighting devices (red dot, holographic sights, and reflex) and laser sights destined for certain countries may require an export license from the United States Department of State or United States Department of Commerce.

Please click here to refer to the USDOC's Commerce Country Chart to determine if you will need an export license. However, for your convenience, we have listed the countries below that do not need a license or are eligible for an Strategic Trade Authorization (STA) License Exception. If you do not find the name of your country on the list, it means you would need an export license.

Canadian customers click here for country specific information.

No License Required

The countries listed below do not need an export license.
    Albania
    Greece
    Norway
    Australia
    Hungary
    Poland
    Belgium
    Iceland
    Portugal
    Bulgaria
    Italy
    Romania
    Croatia
    Japan
    Slovakia
    Czech Republic
    Latvia
    Slovenia
    Denmark
    Lithuania
    Spain
    Estonia
    Luxembourg
    Turkey
    France
    Netherlands
    United Kingdom
    Germany
    New Zealand
    Greenland

Eligible for STA License Exceptions

]In accordance to the Strategic Trade Authorization (STA) License Exception, some items going to countries that would normally require an export license are now eligible to be shipped without an export license. If you live in one of the countries listed below, you may be eligible to receive your purchase without applying for an export license. However, you must complete an Ultimate Consignee Statement agreeing to the terms and conditions of the STA License Exception.[/U]

The following countries are eligible for STA License Exceptions.
    Austria
    South Korea
    Finland
    Sweden
    Ireland
    Switzerland
    All Other Countries

If your country is not on either list above, then you will need to have an export license. The application processing time is typically 4-6 weeks but may be longer.

If you choose to apply for a license, we will complete all necessary paperwork on your behalf. However, in order to do so, we will need the following information from you.
    Your full name
    Complete address
    Phone number
    Email address
    Reason for purchase – personal or resale
    Kind of use – hunting, personal defense, competitive shooting, or other (if other, please specify)

If you chose to proceed with the license application the following guidelines apply.

If your order is under $200 there is a NONREFUNDABLE $25 processing fee that must be paid prior to us completing the applications.

If your order is over $200, we require a 25% deposit towards your purchase. Once your license is received, then we will send a request for the remaining balance.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Good info lads,so the bottom line is the us government want a export license on it.Sounds like bother!
    My understanding on the monoculars were since there not possible to mount on a gun there perfectly legal to own here??

Read my post again again above Tikka..
    They want an end consingee agreement that says you will not sell it onto a third party or country.We in Ireland are EXEMPT from export liscensing but not exempt from signing the Ultimate Consignee Statement agreeing to the terms and conditions of the STA License Exception . That is literally a one page document which you email or fax back to the company where you are buying the equipment with your sig and date on it.
    There really isnt a dark art to this at all.:) It's just finding a company that understands this procedure and has the willingness to do a CONUS export.
    [When you get to guns and parts thats a whole differnt bucket of Herrings.]

YES the monoculars,whether hand held or head mounted ,binoculars,hand held or head mounted are 100% legal to own and use here provided you do not mount them on any weapons system.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Grizzly do you know do I have to find the monocular I like then fill in the form and keep it with me for the airport?

Oh! Thought you was doing this mail order?But I'd assume it will be the same procedure.Get a double copy of the Ultimate Consignee Statement from the company,and keep it with you if TSA or whomever demands a copy. if it is a thermal monocular without weapons mount capabilities or function.You might not even need paperwork to export this.I'm going on the concept of the Leupold system that is available in the EU and US..But please CEVAT EMPTOR on that one first.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Or you could email the company supplying the monocular and ask who their European agents or stockists are. Not too much stuff that is available in America is not available over here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement