Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colleague using personal number to contact me during time off

Options
  • 10-06-2017 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

Just wondering where people stand on this as I am known to be a bit sensitive sometimes...

We brought in a temp in work, who reports to the same manager as I do. Personally, they are very nice and we get on but I've a few major issues workwise.

I gave them my personal number to use once when I was on al and they needed their timesheet approved. Since then they now seem to think its ok to ring me when I'm off over stupid things they could figure out themselves. In the last two weeks I got three calls on an afternoon I had off and 1 on a full day off. They were all non urgent issues that could have waited or been figured out.

They also constantly ask the same questions while in work and just dont do things that I ask untill I get fed up waiting and do the bulk of the work anyway.

Im really annoyed, but my manager thinks they are amazing and I dont want to rock the boat for the sake of a few more weeks before they leave, but im also afraid the replacement they are due to train in is going to inherit this attitude that they dont need to use their brain because ill just answer the question 80 times or just do the work for them and that its ok to ring me on days off over silly stuff.

Do I go to my manager, say it to my colleague or just bite my tongue (not something im particularly good at...)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Reject or just don't answer the calls when you're off and if needs be just send a text saying "off today, so and so is in the office if u need to ask work related questions". Any time they ring or text, either text them saying "off today" or ignore and then when you're back in say "was off when you rang, what is it you wanted to know". You're not obliged to answer work related calls while you're off so behave as if that's the case, make no apologies for it, just be honest and say it's my time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Why dont you just not answer the phone. That is assuming you know who is ringing you. Silence the tone, let it ring out and forget about it. They will soon get the message. Keep answering and they'll keep ringing.

I have often gotten calls from work on weekends, holidays and annual leave and I have no problem letting it ring out.

I've witnessed people complaining about people calling them during time off and have seen the subsequent reaction of "they are inflexible, not a team player etc". By flagging it officially you risk this which is why I would say just let it ring out. If you are queried, simply say you leave the phone at home during your time off. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Deub

Why don't you say it to your colleagues?

Make it clear that your number is to be used for emergency only.
    If that doesn't work, stop answering the calls when you are off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Just don't answer. You're not obliged to explain yourself to your colleague, and definitely no need to involve your manager, in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

As others have said let the call ring out, if they leave a voice message and it's work delete it but I wouldn't bother complaining to your manager. They'll soon get the message.
    If I get any calls that I don't recognise the number to I don't answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Thanks for all the replys, I have had the conversation in a very informal manner, when I'm leaving saying don't call me unless the place is burning down or something to that effect. I havent approached it directly as I know a bit of history from the last job they had through a few conversations and I worry anything I say will be picked up wrongly and viewed as bullying/ picking on them.

Thats why I'm wondering do I involve my manager but to be honest they are never there, and only see the output of work, not how its achieved so think there is nothing wrong.

Its more than the calls to be honest, but they are the worst, even when working from home due to being sick I got 8 calls in a day. We dont work in rocket science either I might add, im not indispensible by any means.... I'm just getting frustrated as I feel this person is needlesly dependant on me for answers and I dont know how to even start to broach the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Negative_G

TG1 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replys, I have had the conversation in a very informal manner, when I'm leaving saying don't call me unless the place is burning down or something to that effect. I havent approached it directly as I know a bit of history from the last job they had through a few conversations and I worry anything I say will be picked up wrongly and viewed as bullying/ picking on them.

Thats why I'm wondering do I involve my manager but to be honest they are never there, and only see the output of work, not how its achieved so think there is nothing wrong.

Its more than the calls to be honest, but they are the worst, even when working from home due to being sick I got 8 calls in a day. We dont work in rocket science either I might add, im not indispensible by any means.... I'm just getting frustrated as I feel this person is needlesly dependant on me for answers and I dont know how to even start to broach the subject.

Stop answering the phone calls. They keep calling because you keep answering.

Stop answering and they will have to engage their own brain or ring somebody else.

I get that it is frustrating but it really seems to he a simple fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Frame it like 'you have been here for a while now, so you will be expected to handle x tasks independently now. I have prepared a FAQ for you, based on the various items that have come up while I have been out. If I am not here, you need to check this first, if that doesn't cover it then you have to talk to John, as I should not be getting work calls during my time off".
    (Assuming this is covered in your HR documentation, or managerial support)

I get they have history from their past role, but it is still pretty tone-deaf to call someone 8 times when they're on PTO. Have you flagged this to their manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Don't involve your manager if they are due to leave in a few weeks it isn't worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Minera

Ok op I would let this issue go as the temp is leaving in a few weeks. Just don't answer calls until then.
    With regards the temp asking questions about tasks that YOU deem they should be able to do, evaluate your answers or your teaching style as this may be the problem not the temp.

The issue you have with tasks not being completed or you completing tasks for temps set a goal time and date. E.g. "The manager needs that report by 3 today will u leave it in their office before then?" Direct instruction with a deadline usually gets the job done. If the job isn't done on time or you check in and it's not ready by 2.30 ask them what happened, this makes a person accountable for a task given.
    I advise you wait for the new temp before using this approach as a sudden change in management style can be seen as demeaning and bullying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Do you get paid to answer the phone during AL?

Is it best if you answer the phone during AL to make your next day easier?

Do you intend to progress in this company?

A combination of those answers should give you the best option.

Advertisement