Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The GFA and how consent is reached and legislated for

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

'TO GIVE EFFECT'.

Cherrypicking parts of sentences now? Typically, in international agreements you are not allowed to do that anymore but nice try.

Actually, you're doing the cherrypicking.

If you're going to parse out individual phrases, the one you're looking for is "legislation to give effect" - in other words, legislation which, if enacted, would give effect.

But it's best to read the actual clause as a whole, which couldn't be clearer: it imposes a binding obligation on the government to introduce and support legislation. It imposes no binding obligation on Parliament to pass that legislation, because - I may have mentioned this before - it's legally impossible to impose such a binding obligation on Parliament.

It's my genuine belief that Bertie Ahern was flat-out wrong in his statement. Certainly there's nothing in the text of the Agreement to support his claim. Was he lying? I don't know, I can't speak to his motives, but I think it's clear from this thread alone that there are many people who have a deep-seated need to believe that Parliamentary sovereignty can be overridden.

I asked before: do you believe it's possible to create a legally-binding obligation on the Irish people to pass a referendum? You deflected, as you tend to do when faced with tricky questions, but it's key to understanding this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

oscarBravo wrote: »

If you're going to parse out individual phrases, the one you're looking for is "legislation to give effect" - in other words, legislation which, if enacted, would give effect.

But it's best to read the actual clause as a whole, which couldn't be clearer: it imposes a binding obligation on the government to introduce and support legislation. It imposes no binding obligation on Parliament to pass that legislation, because - I may have mentioned this before - it's legally impossible to impose such a binding obligation on Parliament.

It's my genuine belief that Bertie Ahern was flat-out wrong in his statement. Certainly there's nothing in the text of the Agreement to support his claim. Was he lying? I don't know, I can't speak to his motives, but I think it's clear from this thread alone that there are many people who have a deep-seated need to believe that Parliamentary sovereignty can be overridden.

I don't have a 'need' for anything. My 'need' was satisfied by the commitments given by the British in an internationally binding treaty.
    You fail time and time again to accept that parliament, by ratifying/signing this agreement have in international law bound themselves...legally.
    The only way they can renege on that agreement is to revoke it, in it's entirety and that is not the same thing as legislating for a UI. Legislating is merely a stage in giving effect to the wishes of the people. Legislation simply legalises the ceding of territory, WHICH THEY HAVE sovereignly agreed to do in the event of a vote in favour.
    There is no impingement on parliamentary sovereignty at any stage. They can fail, but they would be breaking a binding international agreement etc etc.
    They cannot, while the agreement is in place, fail to legislate for/give effect to, the will of the people.

I asked before: do you believe it's possible to create a legally-binding obligation on the Irish people to pass a referendum? You deflected, as you tend to do when faced with tricky questions, but it's key to understanding this issue.
    No it isn't possible. I said this before. And it is not required by the agreement. 'If' is the word you seem to be missing.

I don't have a 'need' for anything. My 'need' was satisfied by the commitments given by the British in an internationally binding treaty.
    The commitment given was to introduce and support legislation.
    You fail time and time again to accept that parliament, by ratifying/signing this agreement have in international law bound themselves...legally.
    No, they haven't, because they legally can't.

I see you're falling back on the tactic of repeating a falsehood in the hope of magically making it true.
    The only way they can renege on that agreement...
    There is no such agreement. You can tell there's no such agreement, because it's not in the text of the Agreement.

You've been asked to cite the text of the Agreement in support of your bizarre assertion, and the closest you were able to come was to surgically extract the words "to give effect to", as if taking them out of context would imbue them with a meaning they clearly don't have in the document itself. And then, hilariously, accused others of cherrypicking.
    Legislation simply legalises the ceding of territory, WHICH THEY HAVE sovereignly agreed to do in the event of a vote in favour.
    They have agreed to introduce and support legislation to do so. You can tell that that's what they've agreed to, because that's what's written in the Agreement.
    They can fail, but they would be breaking a binding international agreement etc etc.
    No, they wouldn't. The Agreement isn't binding on Parliament, because - I might have mentioned this before - it legally can't be.
    They cannot, while the agreement is in place, fail to legislate for/give effect to, the will of the people.
    Of course they can. If the government fails to introduce or to support the legislation, then it will be in breach of the Agreement, but if Parliament votes it down, it won't be, because the Agreement imposes no binding commitments on Parliament.
    No it isn't possible.
    Of course it's not possible. The Irish people are sovereign, and nothing written in any international treaty can compel them to vote in any particular way.

It's utterly bizarre that you accept this without question, but dismiss out of hand the idea that Parliament is similarly sovereign where the UK is concerned. It's actually a very blatant act of doublethink on your part.

The commitment given was to introduce and support legislation. No, they haven't, because they legally can't.
    Why are you ignoring the rest of the clause...'to give effect to those wishes'??

I see you're falling back on the tactic of repeating a falsehood in the hope of magically making it true. There is no such agreement. You can tell there's no such agreement, because it's not in the text of the Agreement.

You've been asked to cite the text of the Agreement in support of your bizarre assertion, and the closest you were able to come was to surgically extract the words "to give effect to", as if taking them out of context would imbue them with a meaning they clearly don't have in the document itself. And then, hilariously, accused others of cherrypicking. They have agreed to introduce and support legislation to do so. You can tell that that's what they've agreed to, because that's what's written in the Agreement.

They have agreed to 'introduce and support legislation (because that is a necessary step) to give effect to those wishes.

It is a simple piece of housekeeping, nothing more.

No, they wouldn't. The Agreement isn't binding on Parliament, because - I might have mentioned this before - it legally can't be. Of course they can. If the government fails to introduce or to support the legislation, then it will be in breach of the Agreement, but if Parliament votes it down, it won't be, because the Agreement imposes no binding commitments on Parliament.
    This is just crazy now. They won't be voting on the 'agreement'. They will simply be legislating for the outcome of a vote.
    The agreement has already been sovereignly ratified and agreed to.
    Of course it's not possible. The Irish people are sovereign, and nothing written in any international treaty can compel them to vote in any particular way.

It's utterly bizarre that you accept this without question, but dismiss out of hand the idea that Parliament is similarly sovereign where the UK is concerned. It's actually a very blatant act of doublethink on your part.

Does the agreement state that it is between The Government of Great Britain and The People Of Ireland?

It should if we follow your ludicrous logic here.

That what it's title really means is: The Government of Great Britain (if that is ok by parliament) and The Government Of Ireland (which is really the people of Ireland)

'Government' in this context means Britain and Ireland.

Why are you ignoring the rest of the clause...'to give effect to those wishes'??
    Alright, let's look at the entire clause, in context:
    BIA wrote:
    The two Governments... affirm that, if in the future, the people of the island of Ireland exercise their right of self-determination on the basis set out in sections (i) and (ii) above to bring about a united Ireland, it will be a binding obligation on both Governments to introduce and support in their respective Parliaments legislation to give effect to that wish;

The governments affirm that they have a binding obligation to introduce and support legislation. That's it. The Agreement doesn't create a binding obligation on Parliament to support that legislation, because - guess what? - it's legally impossible to create such a binding obligation.
    They have agreed to 'introduce and support legislation (because that is a necessary step) to give effect to those wishes.

It is a simple piece of housekeeping, nothing more.
    So why isn't there a binding obligation written into the Agreement that Parliament will pass the legislation?
    This is just crazy now. They won't be voting on the 'agreement'. They will simply be legislating for the outcome of a vote.
    The agreement has already been sovereignly ratified and agreed to.
    I'm having trouble even figuring out your point here, since you seem to be replying to things I didn't say.
    Does the agreement state that it is between The Government of Great Britain and The People Of Ireland?

It should if we follow your ludicrous logic here.
    Then you're not following my logic, which is probably because you don't want to.

The Agreement is between the governments. It imposes obligations on the governments. It doesn't impose any obligation on Parliament, for the same reason it doesn't impose any obligation on the people of Ireland: because it can't.
    'Government' in this context means Britain and Ireland.
    No. 'Government' in this context means 'government'.

Let's ask a basic question here: Define Britain when it comes to international agreements. Leave the BIA aside for a moment

For the life of me, I cannot find Britain defined with the rider 'parliament may subsequently change it's mind' which, in the instance of the BIA, they would be doing it they failed to give full effect to the wishes of the people. Simple as.

Could you please show me where the concept of Britain is defined with that rider in international law?

I have shown you what is expected of nations in international treatys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

To be fair to Bertie Ahern, I don't think he was lying, I just think he wasn't capable of grapsing the concept.

blanch152 wrote: »
    To be fair to Bertie Ahern, I don't think he was lying, I just think he wasn't capable of grapsing the concept.

You are probably just being mischievous and getting in a petty dig, but we all know that official speeches are cleared first and probably not even written by the Taoiseach.
    This is a government point of view, I'm afraid to tell you. And it was entirely uncontested by unionists who are very sensitive to Irish government statements as we also know only too well

Let's ask a basic question here: Define Britain when it comes to international agreements. Leave the BIA aside for a moment
    Why?

We're talking specifically about the BIA here, and it's very explicit as to who entered into the Agreement (the respective governments) and on whom it creates binding obligations (the same governments).

The word "Britain" appears three times in the entire document, and in none of those instances is it remotely unclear what it means.

Why are you looking for definitions outside of the Agreement that have no bearing on the Agreement? There's nothing unclear about the Agreement, it's very explicit in what it sets out.
    For the life of me, I cannot find Britain defined with the rider 'parliament may subsequently change it's mind'...
    "Parliament can change its mind" is a truism, because there is no mechanism by which Parliament can be prevented from changing its mind, any more than there's a mechanism that can prevent the Irish electorate from voting whatever way it pleases in a referendum.

I keep bringing up that parallel for good reason. I've already explained it once in this thread: Parliament is sovereign, in the same way as the Irish people are sovereign.

Why?

We're talking specifically about the BIA here, and it's very explicit as to who entered into the Agreement (the respective governments) and on whom it creates binding obligations (the same governments).

The word "Britain" appears three times in the entire document, and in none of those instances is it remotely unclear what it means.

Why are you looking for definitions outside of the Agreement that have no bearing on the Agreement? There's nothing unclear about the Agreement, it's very explicit in what it sets out. "Parliament can change its mind" is a truism, because there is no mechanism by which Parliament can be prevented from changing its mind, any more than there's a mechanism that can prevent the Irish electorate from voting whatever way it pleases in a referendum.

I keep bringing up that parallel for good reason. I've already explained it once in this thread: Parliament is sovereign, in the same way as the Irish people are sovereign.
    So will the Irish people get a final say?
    No they won't because we, like Britain have already excercised our sovereignty and will abide by the agreement.
    To give effect to the wishes of the people legislation must be passed. Otherwise they violate the agreement.
    The only legal way now to deal with revoking the agreement is to pass another motion all the way through the houses and get Royal Assent.

• Advertisement

So will the Irish people get a final say?
    No they won't because we, like Britain have already excercised our sovereignty and will abide by the agreement.
    Of course we will. Unification can't happen without a constitutional amendment, and we'll need a referendum for that.
    To give effect to the wishes of the people legislation must be passed. Otherwise they violate the agreement.

This has been pointed out to you repeatedly, but here we go again: Parliament isn't a party to the Agreement. The British government is. The Agreement imposes no obligations on Parliament; only on the government. If the government fails to introduce and support legislation, it's in breach of the Agreement. If Parliament fails to pass that legislation, we're in uncharted territory, but Parliament can't be in breach of an agreement to which it's not a party and which in any case makes no claim to bind it.

Of course we will. Unification can't happen without a constitutional amendment, and we'll need a referendum for that.

This has been pointed out to you repeatedly, but here we go again: Parliament isn't a party to the Agreement. The British government is. The Agreement imposes no obligations on Parliament; only on the government. If the government fails to introduce and support legislation, it's in breach of the Agreement. If Parliament fails to pass that legislation, we're in uncharted territory, but Parliament can't be in breach of an agreement to which it's not a party and which in any case makes no claim to bind it.

Simple question: Why did parliament ratify and agree to it then if they are not party to it?

Parliament ratified and agreed to it on behalf of future parliaments until such time as the agreement is revoked, which can happen legally. But not by failing to pass legislation.

Everyone in parliament will know that if they fail to pass legislation then they will be asking the current British government, whoever that might be, to act illegally.
    But they are free to do that because (as I have said many times) parliament is sovereign.

Are you able to grasp that point. The same as the irish government made. There is no legal way to fail to honour the wishes of the people under the agreement.
    There are other legal ways, pointed out many times too.

Britain can be in breach of the agreement in many other ways too. BRITAIN parliament and all.

*Can you link to were we will get a referendum on the enabling legislation please (as opposed to a referendum on unity)? I cannot find any info on that.

Simple question: Why did parliament ratify and agree to it then if they are not party to it?
    There's no "if" about it. You know how you can tell that Parliament are not a party to the Agreement? By reading the damn Agreement. It states, clearly and unambiguously, who the parties to the Agreement are.

It's getting seriously tiresome arguing with someone who's trying to use sophistry to infer that the Agreement means something other than the actual words that are written in it, to the point of casting about for definitions of "Britain" - whatever that has to do with anything.

If you want to believe that Parliament is an implicit party to an Agreement that explicitly spells out who its parties are, you tell yourself whatever helps you to sleep at night.

There's no "if" about it. You know how you can tell that Parliament are not a party to the Agreement? By reading the damn Agreement. It states, clearly and unambiguously, who the parties to the Agreement are.

It's getting seriously tiresome arguing with someone who's trying to use sophistry to infer that the Agreement means something other than the actual words that are written in it, to the point of casting about for definitions of "Britain" - whatever that has to do with anything
    If you want to believe that Parliament is an implicit party to an Agreement that explicitly spells out who its parties are, you tell yourself whatever helps you to sleep at night.

Internationally, are Britain and it's parliament separate things?
    The government of Ireland are referenced in the agreement, why isn't the subtly that it is actually an agreement with the 'people' of Ireland mentioned? The answer is rather obvious btw.

Again I will answer for you because you avoid the obvious: because Britain...all of it, parliament included have ratified and agreed to it.
    And further, Britain (all of it) have agreed to be bound by this agreement for all time until such time as they legally revoke it.

You forgot to link to this:
    *Can you link to were we will get a referendum on the enabling legislation please (as opposed to a referendum on unity)? I cannot find any info on that.

What it means when you ratify a treaty. Note the use of the word 'state'.

The 'state' accepts the provisions of the treaty.
    Ratification

Ratification defines the international act whereby a state indicates its consent to be bound to a treaty if the parties intended to show their consent by such an act. In the case of bilateral treaties, ratification is usually accomplished by exchanging the requisite instruments, while in the case of multilateral treaties the usual procedure is for the depositary to collect the ratifications of all states, keeping all parties informed of the situation. The institution of ratification grants states the necessary time-frame to seek the required approval for the treaty on the domestic level and to enact the necessary legislation to give domestic effect to that treaty.

[Arts.2 (1) (b), 14 (1) and 16, Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties 1969]

Britain, excercising it's parliamentary sovereignty (as I said) ratified the BIA on the domestic level in 1999 and the British State is bound by it as is the Irish State.

Are you trying to make the argument that the international agreement is not binding on the Irish people (who need the Dail to pass a vote to hold a referendum to agree to unity) but is binding on the British people (who need a Parliamentary vote by those they elect to represent them to agree to unity)? Because it certainly seems that you are and that makes your argument a nonsense.

Are you trying to make the argument that the international agreement is not binding on the Irish people (who need the Dail to pass a vote to hold a referendum to agree to unity) but is binding on the British people (who need a Parliamentary vote by those they elect to represent them to agree to unity)? Because it certainly seems that you are and that makes your argument a nonsense.

The poster seemed to claim that we the Irish people will get a referendum on the enabling legislation as well as on the unity question. I was looking for a link about that.

Internationally, are Britain and it's parliament separate things?
    I don't understand the question. Why are you asking about Britain? It's an agreement between governments.
    The government of Ireland are referenced in the agreement...
    Yes. The government of Ireland is a party to the Agreement.
    ...why isn't the subtly that it is actually an agreement with the 'people' of Ireland mentioned?
    Because it's not. Read the Agreement. It says in plain English who the parties are.
    Can you link to were we will get a referendum on the enabling legislation please (as opposed to a referendum on unity)? I cannot find any info on that.
    It may well be that a referendum on unity will propose to amend the Constitution in the process, in which case we'll get our final say at that time.

I don't understand the question. Why are you asking about Britain? It's an agreement between governments.
    So you are just going to ignore yet another link? That shows that once 'domestic proceedure' are cleared it is the 'State' that is oliged to the terms of a treaty.
    Yes. The government of Ireland is a party to the Agreement.
    On behalf of the 'people' And The government of Britain is party to the agreement on behalf of parliament. Kinda simple really if you take on board the link posted (and as it is a UN link, I can't see how you can still be in denial about that)
    Because it's not. Read the Agreement. It says in plain English who the parties are.
    See above.
    It may well be that a referendum on unity will propose to amend the Constitution in the process, in which case we'll get our final say at that time.
    We will get our final say on unity? We, like the British, have had our say.
    There will be no referendum on legislation, because we have already agreed that if the majority vote for it, legislation to effect that follows.

• Advertisement

The poster seemed to claim that we the Irish people will get a referendum on the enabling legislation as well as on the unity question. I was looking for a link about that.

Yes, but you accept that the Irish people get a second go at deciding through a referendum, but you don't accept that the British people get a second go at deciding through a parliamentary vote.

Yes, but you accept that the Irish people get a second go at deciding through a referendum, but you don't accept that the British people get a second go at deciding through a parliamentary vote.

Are you sure you know what you are saying here?
    The British people do not get a vote on the unity of Ireland, that is for the people of Ireland to decide without outside impediment.

The British state on behalf of it's people has agreed to give effect to that decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

The people of NI vote on any such referendum first and then if it is FOR  it, then it goes to the Irish Republic for the people in the South to vote on it.

The people of NI vote on any such referendum first and then if it is FOR  it, then it goes to the Irish Republic for the people in the South to vote on it.

Yes, but the British people as a whole have no say. They have, through their parliament already ratified an agreement to give effect to the decision of the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

Did anyone get a letter from an establishment called "A New Ireland - one Ireland for all" ? As I'm after receiving this in the post and it goes through how their going to send the British people home post BREXIT and create housing stock for the Irish. As a Irish person I feel ashamed of this sh*te coming through my letterbox and its totally against the GFA . I'm going giving this magazine to the Gardai as I find highly offensive to people in Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

paul2013 wrote: »
    Did anyone get a letter from an establishment called "A New Ireland - one Ireland for all" ? As I'm after receiving this in the post and it goes through how their going to send the British people home post BREXIT and create housing stock for the Irish. As a Irish person I feel ashamed of this sh*te coming through my letterbox and its totally against the GFA . I'm going giving this magazine to the Gardai as I find highly offensive to people in Northern Ireland.
    Do you not find it offensive to people in Ireland in general?

• Advertisement

Thankfully I haven't. I assume it is some Republican offshoot.

armaghlad wrote: »
    Do you not find it offensive to people in Ireland in general?

No matter what your nationality is I do find it very offensive to everyone who lives on the island of Ireland

It's beyond me that we have had 19 years of fragile peace and still some people think it's cool to send sh*te like this in your letter box. If they think this is going to achieve an United Ireland they are living in a different in island of Ireland

It's beyond me that we have had 19 years of fragile peace and still some people think it's cool to send sh*te like this in your letter box. If they think this is going to achieve an United Ireland they are living in a different in island of Ireland

I think the peace isn't as fragile as you think.

Yes, there are people on both sides (the homophobic unionists and the republicans who darkly mutter about the threat of violence in response to whatever latest slight they perceive, Brexit and an ILA being the latest) who are extremists, but the truth now is that the vast majority of people in Northern Ireland are happy with the status quo and are not looking for major constitutional change, ironically that is one of the reasons they voted against Brexit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Nineteen years is not fragile, two generations have come of age, there are twenty somethings that don't even remember a time where there was not peace.

The IRA might not have gone away but they are closer to sixty than thirty these days and the youth have other ideas. There was a time when likely young lads would knock on the door wanting to see the revolvers my grand uncle took from the RIC at ambushes during the war of independence, it has not happened in years, the interest is not there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There is nothing very unique about that! We had UKIP suggesting that they'd pay dual citizens £9,000 to leave the country only last week. And at least a couple of times a year I see similar material around the station in Zurich or Basel with some variation of the same idea. One group even suggested the police should create snatch teams the could grab these foreign looking people of the street and ship them out in the dead of night!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

send the British people home post BREXIT and create housing stock for the Irish.

I've never heard of any Republican advocate/support ethnic cleansing of Protestants/Unionists unlike the DUP.

425918.png

I've never heard of any Republican advocate/support ethnic cleansing of Protestants/Unionists unlike the DUP.

I think that link of yours is from decades ago. It has little or no relevance to a leaflet we are talking about that appears to have been dropped in the door in the last week or so.

Are you sure it isn't a spoof mag?

425918.png

Chilling stuff there Sammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I think that link of yours is from decades ago. It has little or no relevance to a leaflet we are talking about that appears to have been dropped in the door in the last week or so.

Well the leaflet was essentially about ethnic cleansing so it is relevant and underscores that actual DUP politicians considered actual ethnic cleansing as method of maintaining a Protestant/Unionist majority. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was unionists who did this leaflet drop to try to capitalise on the Fenian Fear Factor.

Moving on from the 30-year old whataboutery, there was an interesting article by Fintan O'Toole during the week:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-united-ireland-will-not-be-based-on-50-per-cent-plus-one-1.3186234

"To put it bluntly (as no one ever does) southerners have no interest in inheriting a political wreck, or becoming direct participants in a gory sequel, Troubles III: the Orange Strikes Back. They will not vote for a form of unity that merely creates an angry and alienated Protestant minority within a bitterly contested new state."

"In the context of Ireland’s future, 50 per cent + 1 is not, as Adams claims, “what democracy is about”. That kind of crude, tribal majoritarianism is precisely what the Belfast Agreement is meant to finish off. Again, the new article 3 of the Constitution is a good guide: “It is the firm will of the Irish nation, in harmony and friendship, to unite all the people who share the territory of the island of Ireland, in all the diversity of their identities and traditions. . .” Harmony, friendship, diversity, multiplicity, a unity not of territory but of people – not: “We beat you by one vote so suck it up and welcome to our nation.” "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The first problem with this is that Adams is actually wrong about the formula. It is not 50 per cent + 1 = a united Ireland. It is in fact 2x (50 per cent + 1) = a united Ireland.

Cutting analysis from Tintin there. Adams only negotiated that formula I'm sure he overlooked that salient detail in his dotage.

Moving on from the 30-year old whataboutery, there was an interesting article by Fintan O'Toole during the week:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-united-ireland-will-not-be-based-on-50-per-cent-plus-one-1.3186234

"To put it bluntly (as no one ever does) southerners have no interest in inheriting a political wreck, or becoming direct participants in a gory sequel, Troubles III: the Orange Strikes Back. They will not vote for a form of unity that merely creates an angry and alienated Protestant minority within a bitterly contested new state."

"In the context of Ireland’s future, 50 per cent + 1 is not, as Adams claims, “what democracy is about”. That kind of crude, tribal majoritarianism is precisely what the Belfast Agreement is meant to finish off. Again, the new article 3 of the Constitution is a good guide: “It is the firm will of the Irish nation, in harmony and friendship, to unite all the people who share the territory of the island of Ireland, in all the diversity of their identities and traditions. . .” Harmony, friendship, diversity, multiplicity, a unity not of territory but of people – not: “We beat you by one vote so suck it up and welcome to our nation.” "
    Fintan shouldn't ridicule Adams delusions. Let him at it.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/no-stormont-assembly-without-an-irish-language-act-gerry-adams-36084858.html

Three things to take away from this article.

(1) While the rest of the world worries about Brexit, Sinn Fein is hanging tough on an Irish Languages Act

(2) After years of saying that majority rule isn't right for Northern Ireland, the minute the numbers are in their favour, SF want it immediately.

(3) The most sensible solution remains that "there have been suggestions that a broader piece of legislation which includes provisions for Ulster Scots speakers could achieve cross-community backing."

• Advertisement

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/no-stormont-assembly-without-an-irish-language-act-gerry-adams-36084858.html

(1) While the rest of the world worries about Brexit, Sinn Fein is hanging tough on an Irish Languages Act

(2) After years of saying that majority rule isn't right for Northern Ireland, the minute the numbers are in their favour, SF want it immediately.

(3) The most sensible solution remains that "there have been suggestions that a broader piece of legislation which includes provisions for Ulster Scots speakers could achieve cross-community backing."

Should all political parties just throw their principles out the window so Unionists can feel comfortable in the remnants of their failed state?

Because that is what you want here and the northern electorate that voted in ever bigger numbers for SF clearly do NOT want them to do.

*Brexit happened anyway, despite what that same party and it's voters wanted. So I don't know what your point is there.

It's more important to them than health or the economy. But they won't be getting it anyway.

Should all political parties just throw their principles out the window so Unionists can feel comfortable in the remnants of their failed state?

Because that is what you want here and the northern electorate that voted in ever bigger numbers for SF clearly do NOT want them to do.

*Brexit happened anyway, despite what that same party and it's voters wanted. So I don't know what your point is there.

No, I want those who claim to be leading the peace process to demonstrate their cross-community principles rather than pandering to their sectarian followers.

And, by the way, that applies to both the DUP and SF across a large range of issues. In this particular case - Irish Language Act - it is up to Sinn Fein to demonstrate magnaminity and statesmanlike behaviour. As expected, it is beyond them.

No, I want those who claim to be leading the peace process to demonstrate their cross-community principles rather than pandering to their sectarian followers.

And, by the way, that applies to both the DUP and SF across a large range of issues. In this particular case - Irish Language Act - it is up to Sinn Fein to demonstrate magnaminity and statesmanlike behaviour. As expected, it is beyond them.

Wanting the same language rights as every where else on these islands is sectarian?? Good man blanch, just how far into ridiculousness will you go to make it republicans/nationalists fault while pretending to equally blame the party that is blocking a myriad of normal rights?
    If you think that the sticking point is sectarian based you haven't a clue about what has gone on since the GFA. Which is par for the course with those who stupidly thought it was a final solution. It wasnt , it was always meant to a process which would include the recognition of the Irish Language in a standalone act.
    Everyone knew that. The DUP simply welched on it.
    *Arlene is buckling under anyway so your worries might soon be over. Or Arlene is kicking to touch so she can get comfy with Theresa.

The DUP is being kinder on the issue than I would be. I'd just say no it isn't happening and frankly don't care if the assembly isn't ever back. Keep it down, it was useless anyway and was the worst form of government in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

This didn't get much publicity in this part of Ireland:

Lord Kilclooney says nationalists 'are not equal' to unionists

https://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/08/31/news/lord-kilclooney-says-nationalists-are-not-equal-to-unionists-1124541/

The DUP is being kinder on the issue than I would be. I'd just say no it isn't happening and frankly don't care if the assembly isn't ever back. Keep it down, it was useless anyway and was the worst form of government in Europe.

The DUP are climbing down. Remains to be seen if they have accepted that they cannot be culturally suprematist or religiously bigoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

The DUP kind! Thats a good one. There is a reason why Stormont is set up the way it is and in fairness, it has meant mostly peace in NI.

The DUP are climbing down. Remains to be seen if they have accepted that they cannot be culturally suprematist or religiously bigoted.
    The DUP hasn't climbed down, I didn't see any such climb down in her speech. The former Mayor of Belfast from Sinn Fein was saying the argument has been won within broader Unionist opinion for an Irish language act. I don't know how he has come to that conclusion or who he has spoken to, but it is most certainly bollocks.

I don't know why Sinn Fein think Unionist people are idiots to think we believe such tripe.

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »

The DUP kind! Thats a good one. There is a reason why Stormont is set up the way it is and in fairness, it has meant mostly peace in NI.
    The irony being that if the horrific petition of concern didn't exist gay marriage would be implemented and a language act would probably stand a better chance.

Advertisement