Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which MacBook Pro and where would you buy it - at Apple or Compu B?

• 10-06-2017 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I know, I know that the prices are the same, but from time to time CompuB has promotions (10% off on all) wheres at Apple Store there haven't been any promotions on Macs since Black Friday 2014.
    Besides, when you get your laptop or iPhone from Compu B you would get 2 additional years of warranty for free.

I would like to finally replace my 2010 17" MBP but I don't know which model to choose - I would like something that will be fast and snappy for at least +5 years (small 13" with only integrated graphic cards are out of option, I guess).

I was looking at MBP 15" 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor but it has only 256GB of storage! I would like to get my Mac from Compu B, but I'm not sure whether they can get it for me with customized specs (say, if I wanted the model I have mentioned, but with 500GB of storage instead of 256)?

What's your experiences with Compu B anyway? Are they reliable service? Can I get customized MBP from them? What is the best option for someone that wants to have a relaible, fast computer that will last at least 5 years?

Thanks 😊

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Cant fault CompuB on the service side of things. Very well looked after a couple of times. Haven't bought anything from them, but am planning to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

There is a dedicated Mac forum here: Mac where you may get more advice, as it is for Mac Hardware. This forum is for iPhones, iPad etc.

CompuB are official resellers, so they should be good to deal with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Compub offers one additional year of warranty, not two. Their 2 year warranty runs concurrently with Apple's 1 year warranty. And under Irish consumer law Compub is required to cover faults for up to 5 years anyway, so they aren't doing you any favours, merely admitting their liability albeit only for the first 2 years.

If you are looking for a discount, Apple offer a education discount. You can get it in Compub as well, but its significantly less. But your best bet would be a refurb from Apple's site. Savings can be 10-20 percent and the machines are usually as good as new. Stock updates most days, so it's worth waiting for what you want.

And I'm open to correction, but afaik Compub don't offer custom configurations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Definitely check out the refurb store.
    https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15

You still get a warranty, and CompuB will actually repair it for you if you ever need it!

I'm typing this on my MBP with 500GB that I would not have paid for at retail prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Compub offers one additional year of warranty, not two. Their 2 year warranty runs concurrently with Apple's 1 year warranty. And under Irish consumer law Compub is required to cover faults for up to 5 years anyway, so they aren't doing you any favours, merely admitting their liability albeit only for the first 2 years.

If you are looking for a discount, Apple offer a education discount. You can get it in Compub as well, but its significantly less. But your best bet would be a refurb from Apple's site. Savings can be 10-20 percent and the machines are usually as good as new. Stock updates most days, so it's worth waiting for what you want.

And I'm open to correction, but afaik Compub don't offer custom configurations.

They do. They simply order it directly from Apple.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    Definitely check out the refurb store.
    https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15

You still get a warranty, and CompuB will actually repair it for you if you ever need it!

I'm typing this on my MBP with 500GB that I would not have paid for at retail prices.

Word of warning on refurbs. They're excluded form the EU 6 year warranty thing for certain parts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

OU812 wrote: »
    Word of warning on refurbs. They're excluded form the EU 6 year warranty thing for certain parts.

Really, what parts? I've never heard of this before.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Really, what parts? I've never heard of this before.

I had a logic board issue & they told me that it was covered under EU legislation. Would be €25 to fix. Unfortunately when they found out it was a refurb I had, that went out the window & it was a full cost repair. Apple don't do EU on refurb.

sugarman wrote: »
    EU warranty is 2 years, Irish is 6. You are still covered.

Its not either/or. Ireland didn't enact the 2 year warranty because of the better protection afforded by our Sale of Goods Act.
    I would not accept that the refurb isn't covered though, Apple themselves tell you it is the equivalent of a new unit.

I tried to argue it, but they weren't having any of it. They apparently don't have to on second hand (refurb) units.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

I tried to argue it, but they weren't having any of it. They apparently don't have to on second hand (refurb) units.

Your rights under the Act also apply to goods purchased at sale prices. They must be of merchantable quality, fit for their particular purpose and as described. If goods are being sold as seconds or shop-soiled, however, you cannot expect the same standard.

So: you can't expect it to be as new cosmetically but you can expect it to perform and last as long as a new item.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Second hand items including refurbs are definitely covered under Irish consumer law except for issues that are present (i.e. specifically pointed out to you) at time of purchase. I assume the EU directive is the same, but even if it isn't it's irrelevant if the product was purchased in Ireland.

Was this Apple or Compub, OU812? I assume it was purchased from Apple and was outside the 1 year manufacturer's warranty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

I had a logic board issue & they told me that it was covered under EU legislation. Would be ?25 to fix. Unfortunately when they found out it was a refurb I had, that went out the window & it was a full cost repair. Apple don't do EU on refurb.

Don't tell them it's a refurb. How would they know unless you told them.

Passenger wrote: »
    Don't tell them it's a refurb. How would they know unless you told them.

They check the serial number against Apple's sales database

minikin wrote: »
    Your rights under the Act also apply to goods purchased at sale prices. They must be of merchantable quality, fit for their particular purpose and as described. If goods are being sold as seconds or shop-soiled, however, you cannot expect the same standard.

So: you can't expect it to be as new cosmetically but you can expect it to perform and last as long as a new item.

Second hand items including refurbs are definitely covered under Irish consumer law except for issues that are present (i.e. specifically pointed out to you) at time of purchase. I assume the EU directive is the same, but even if it isn't it's irrelevant if the product was purchased in Ireland.

Was this Apple or Compub, OU812? I assume it was purchased from Apple and was outside the 1 year manufacturer's warranty?

It was bought from Apple & Serviced through CompuB. They were the ones who told me about the EU thing, it was only when they ran the serial number they said it wasn't covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

They check the serial number against Apple's sales database

Bummer.

It was bought from Apple & Serviced through CompuB. They were the ones who told me about the EU thing, it was only when they ran the serial number they said it wasn't covered.

Whatever arrangement Compub have with Apple for processing consumer law claims obviously doesn't cover refurbs then, but legally Apple is still obliged to deal with them and I'd imagine if you had contacted Apple or made a small claims application they would have done so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

If you're travelling through Dublin Airport soon then check out Dixons Travel. Here's a picture of their MBP price list from three weeks ago (before the spec bump announced at WWDC).

Advertisement