Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 NBA Draft | June 22

Options
  • 10-06-2017 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

The 2017 NBA Draft will take place in just 12 days time in Brooklyn New York.

2017 First Round Order (Lottery Picks)

1. Celtics
    2. Lakers
    3. 76ers
    4. Suns
    5. Kings
    6. Magic
    7. T Wolves
    8. Knicks
    9. Mavericks
    10. Kings
    11. Hornets
    12. Pistons
    13. Nuggets
    14. Heat

According to draftexpress.com Projected lottery picks are as follows...

1. Market Fultz PG to Celtics
    2. Lonzo Ball PG to Lakers
    3. Josh Jackson SF to 76ers
    4. De'Arron Fox PG to Suns
    5. Jayson Tatum SF to Kings
    6. Jonathan Isaac PF to Magic
    7. Laui Markkanen PF to T Wolves
    8. Malik Monk SG to Knicks
    9. Frank Ntilikina PG to Dallas
    10. Dennis Smith PG to Kings
    11. Luke Kennard SG to Hornets
    12. Donovan Mitchell SG to Pistons
    13. Zach Collins C to Nuggets
    14 John Collins PF to Heat

My opinion. (Picks 1-10)

1. I think the Celtic will probably take Fultz, if they keep the pick, They could also trade the pick to bring in another piece who could help them win now.

2. Lakers will probably draft Lavar, Sorry! Lonzo Ball with the 2nd pick. They need a ball distributing PG and Lonzo fits the bill.

3. 76er have to decide between going for the best player on the board Josh Jackson or filling a position of need in the back court. I could see them going for De Arron Fox or possiblly Malik Monk instead.

4. If Jackson goes to Philly. I can see Phoenix going for Jayson Tatum. The Duke SF is a quality player, drawing comparisons to a young Paul Pierce.

5. Kings need a PG and If Fox is still on the board, They will probably take him, Denis Smith would be a good alternative.

6. If Tatum is gone. Orlando could go with Jonathan Isaac, But I think Malik Monk would be a better fit if he's still available.

7.If Orlando don't take Issac, Minnesota probably will. If they are going big, Lauri Markkanen could be a good choice in the front court.

8. A terrible draft lottery for New York but if they can pick up a Smith or Malik Monk here, It could be one of the steals of the draft.

9. Dallas need a PG and if Smith is off the board they will probably make the first International pick of the draft with French PG Frank Ntilikina.

10. Kings pick again at 10, And if they already have their PG. Lauri Markkanen would be a solid pick up. A good alternative would be Zach Collins from Gonzaga.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

I hope the Celtics don't over think things and just roll with fultz at #1. Not as clear cut as previous years though they all have some serious question marks.

Fultz - his effort on D and his teams
    W/L record although his team mates were very poor.

Ball - More his D abilities then effort with him, inabilities from mid range or creation of any kind off the dribble.

Jackson - off the court issues, how will his 3 ball go at the next level.

Trader Danny likes to over think things in the draft and throw a curve ball so any trade or player could be on the radar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Boston have allot of options. If they do take Fultz I can see them possiblly trading Thomas before they have to commit to him with a massive new deal. They could also trade the pick for an established NBA star or even throw a spanner in the Lakers work and take Lonzo Ball from under their noses.
    If the Lakers really do want Ball, Boston can use that leverage to force the Lakers into giving up something to them in exchange for "letting" them have Ball

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

That's what I'm hoping anyway, as good as he s been offensively the last thing I want to happen is for him to get a full max 4 year deal. Fultz all the way for me but could see any of ball, fox Tatum or DSJ all being franchise faces in the next few years

limerickfc wrote:
    That's what I'm hoping anyway, as good as he s been offensively the last thing I want to happen is for him to get a full max 4 year deal. Fultz all the way for me but could see any of ball, fox Tatum or DSJ all being franchise faces in the next few
    years

limerickfc wrote:
    That's what I'm hoping anyway, as good as he s been offensively the last thing I want to happen is for him to get a full max 4 year deal. Fultz all the way for me but could see any of ball, fox Tatum or DSJ all being franchise faces in the next few years

His trade value is as high as it's going to be. They could get Fultz, Trade Thomas for a star player and still have open cap space to add another free agent, Possiblly Gordon Hayward

The latest news from Los Angeles is that the Lakers were not impressed with Lonzo Ball's workout, which they cut short because he was too exhausted to continue, Lakers are reportedly concerned about his lack of fitness. In contrast DeAaron Fox draft stock is on the rise and the Lakers are interested, He works out for them today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

And on to the draft we go! Such a short window between end of playoffs and the draft.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

The latest news from Los Angeles is that the Lakers were not impressed with Lonzo Ball's workout, which they cut short because he was too exhausted to continue, Lakers are reportedly concerned about his lack of fitness. In contrast DeAaron Fox draft stock is on the rise and the Lakers are interested, He works out for them today.

I can see Ball falling a lot if Lakers don't take him - his fathers influence is fairly toxic. If you draft Lonzo and he's a beast it's almost guaranteed he's going to opt out at the first chance and be steered to a large market.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sam_Doyle

I believe that Boston can go very far this year. Trust me, they can go straight to the final. With this coach everything is possible. He showed us this season that he is going to be one of the best coaches in NBA.

Sam_Doyle wrote:
    I believe that Boston can go very far this year. Trust me, they can go straight to the final. With this coach everything is possible. He showed us this season that he is going to be one of the best coaches in NBA.

Boston are certainly in a good position to take over the East in a post Lebron era. The first pick this year and likely a top pick next year, A tradeble asset in Isiah Thomas and enough cap space to bring in another star piece in free agency

I can see Ball falling a lot if Lakers don't take him - his fathers influence is fairly toxic. If you draft Lonzo and he's a beast it's almost guaranteed he's going to opt out at the first chance and be steered to a large market.

Yes there could be a bit of a fall. There are allot of team in the top half of the lottery in need of a PG. But Lonzo could very well be the 3rd PG off the board. If Boston take Fultz and LA take Fox. Lonzo could end up in Sacramento.
    It will be interesting to see where Jason Tatum and Josh Jackson go in the mix of these top prospects

• Advertisement

According to reports from Los Angeles
    The Lakers had Josh Jackson back for a private work out yesterday. And Markel Flutz works out tomorrow. De'Arron Fox impressed also this week. The Lakers don't seem to be crazy about Lonzo Ball anymore after his less than impressive showing recently.

Not sure how much we should read into this but Fultz working out for The Lakers today, could mean that he doesn't have a garuntee from Boston. In the run up to the draft, the stock of Jackson and Fox seems to be on the rise, while Lonzo is slipping. If the Celtics move the pick or draft a front court guy like Jackson or Tatum, It changes the whole draft. The Lakers are then left with a chance to take Fultz or Fox, But where does that leave Lonzo?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

That's another reason why teams might prefer Fox to Ball. Fox destroyed him in that NCAA tournament game and according to BR has had the upper hand over Ball everytime they have faced off since highschool and AAU.

ESPN sources say The Celtics are strongly considering taking Josh Jackson 1st overall. This may further explain why Fultz went to LA to workout for the Lakers after previously suggesting he only had plans to workout in Boston. They must not have given him any certainty they were going to take him. This is more bad news for Lonzo Ball.

Boston Celtics agree to trade top pick to Philadelphia 76ers

David Aldridge

The Philadelphia 76ers and Boston Celtics have agreed on a deal that will send the No. 1overall pick in next Thursday's NBA Draft to Philly in exchange for the third overall pick and at least one future first-round pick.

The other pick, believed, at present to be the unprotected 2018 first-rounder the 76ers will receive next year from the Lakers (via The Suns)

Boston will thus have at least two potential lottery picks in 2018, and the Celtics already have Brooklyn's unprotected first-round pick next year along with 2019 first-rounders from the Clippers and Memphis.

It is expected that the Celtics have interest in taking Josh Jackson and feel he will still be available at 3. With Fultz going to Philadelphia and Ball or Fox going to the Lakers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Word is that its a protected 2018 LA pick, if its between 2-5 it goes to the Celtics, otherwise they get the Kings 2019 pick. Feels like the Sixers got a great deal there. Fultz, Simmons, Covington, Saric and Embid... the potential in that lineup is ludicrous. And possibly peaking right after Lebron does. :P

All the details are starting to come out about this trade. Also rumours that the Celtics don't intend to keep their stockpile of picks, But will use them in trade deals to acquire some established NBA talent. Names like Butler and George are floating around.

One of my favourite players in this draft, who doesn't seem to be getting any shine in the run up to draft night. Is Duke SF Jayson Tatum. I think he could go anywhere between 4th and 6th overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Having a hard time getting past Fultz's team ending up 9 - 22

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

That trade suits both teams, Philly get guaranteed to fulfill their greatest need by getting Fultz #1 rather than waiting to see if he's still around at #3, and assuming LA do the dumb thing by taking Ball #2, Boston get to fill a need with Jackson at #3.

That trade suits both teams, Philly get guaranteed to fulfill their greatest need by getting Fultz #1 rather than waiting to see if he's still around at #3, and assuming LA do the dumb thing by taking Ball #2, Boston get to fill a need with Jackson at #3.

The latest is that Boston won't even pick at 3. They are looking to move the pick as part of a deal to bring Jimmy Butler to Boston. But Boston did call Jayson Tatum for a private work out today. There may be a presumption that The Lakers will take Jackson and Tatum would be a good player to add since Boston are out of the PG market.

The Lakers seem to be progressively​ falling out of love with Lonzo Ball, The previously reported 'split' in the camp seems to be leaning towards Josh Jackson. They love his athleticism, his ability to play both ends of the floor and his tireless work ethic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Having a hard time getting past Fultz's team ending up 9 - 22

There was no other talent on the team and they had horrible coaching. He put up really good numbers and he won tons in HS and also was the star on the USA underage teams. Not worried about that at all. The big concern on him is the knee injury history. Its prob nothing but since its the sixers...

My Predictions ( which will probably be totally wrong, but here it goes)

1st. Philidelphia now have the first pick. I believe Markel Fultz will still be the No.1 overall and start his NBA career with the 76ers.

2nd. I'm going to say The Lakers will not draft Lonzo Ball. If they are going for a PG. I think they will take De'Arron Fox. If it's not a PG, They will take Josh Jackson

3rd. This pick now belongs to Boston. I think there is a strong possibility they don't make the pick at all, and move it as part of a trade deal to bring in a star player. But If they do pick, They would probably take Jackson, but if he's gone. I think they would take Jayson Tatum.

4th. I think Lonzo could be drafted here in Phoenix. But If Jayson Tatum is still on the board. It could be a tough decision to make

5th. This is the Lonzo Ball floor. If he is still there, The Kings need a PG and dispite Ball's falling draft stock, They have to roll the dice on his raw talent.

6th If Tatum is gone. Orlando could go with Jonathan Isaac, But I think Malik Monk would be a better fit if he's still available.

7th .If Orlando don't take Issac, Minnesota probably will. If they are going big, Lauri Markkanen could be a good choice in the front court.

8th. I had previously thought New York would be looking for a backcourt addition in Dennis Smith or Malik Monk. But Phill Jackson seems to be hellbent on destroying the Knicks from within, and he has a boner for Lauri Markkanen.

9th Dallas need a PG and if Smith is still there, he would be a nice pickup here, If not him then French PG. Frank Ntilikina

10. Kings pick again at 10, And if they already have Lonzo, Zach Collins from Gonzaga would be a good pick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

8th. I had previously thought New York would be looking for a backcourt addition in Dennis Smith or Malik Monk. But Phill Jackson seems to be hellbent on destroying the Knicks from within, and he has a boner for Lauri Markkanen.

I had read a lot that the Knicks would take Frank Ntilinkina, a PG from Belgium. He looks a decent player to me, although I would find it hard to go against Dennis Smith Jr. either. That said, you are totally correct, Phil will **** this up, take Markkanen then trade Kristaps for a 2nd round pick and release Carmelo on a free.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    There was no other talent on the team and they had horrible coaching. He put up really good numbers and he won tons in HS and also was the star on the USA underage teams. Not worried about that at all. The big concern on him is the knee injury history. Its prob nothing but since its the sixers...

I just have to think the no.1 pick in the draft should be worth more wins in a five man game. The consensus agrees with you on this so I'm likely wrong.

HigginsJ wrote:
    I had read a lot that the Knicks would take Frank Ntilinkina, a PG from Belgium. He looks a decent player to me, although I would find it hard to go against Dennis Smith Jr. either. That said, you are totally correct, Phil will **** this up, take Markkanen then trade Kristaps for a 2nd round pick and release Carmelo on a free.

Getting rid of KP is the latest in a long line of Knicks fckups. It really does seem like Jackson is trying to get himself fired, so he can collect the rest of his contact and move back to LA. There's really no other explaination. The Knicks are a disgrace to basketball right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Getting rid of KP is the latest in a long line of Knicks fckups. It really does seem like Jackson is trying to get himself fired, so he can collect the rest of his contact and move back to LA. There's really no other explaination. The Knicks are a disgrace to basketball right now.

I have seen that said in one or two places alright, how much would it take to pay Phil off?

& can someone explain (in real laymans terms) what exactly the "triangle offense" is and why we are so obsessed with it? Does it suit Melo & KP?

Advertisement