Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Live 18

Options
  • 10-06-2017 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭

Just shown at EA's E3 conference, this looks absolutely class! Scan your face, create your guy and take him through Street, Pro-Am and NBA games. Trailer alone has me hyped for this.

Demo coming out in August for Xbox and ps4 where you can play The One and then carry your progress over into the main game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Just like the last few NBA Live games, it'll be absolute garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Cant be any worse then that bug ridden ****e fest that was/is NBA2K17....really hope its good and eats into the player base of the 2K game. They might respect the fans then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yupp, I'll be happy if it's good enough for me to just ignore 2K this year. 2k have gone too long running the market concentrating on new shoes instead of fixes that people are calling out for year after year.

The August demo will be enough to tell me if it's good or not anyway.

Tbh it couldn't be much worse than 2K if they use that same engine again for the 10th year.

Completely obsolete at this point.

It all comes together to make the best mode an absolute pain between being ignored(players moving off ready), skipped(full squad comes and moves up to next), guys hitting 3s from half court and the wave dribbling where they run back and forth until your guy moves too slow to stay in front of them.

I can't recall another game that plays so poor online with button delay and unresponsiveness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I used to really enjoy 2K but last year I hardly played it at all. Same can be said for NFL/Fifa though. Only sports game I enjoyed was MLB

• Advertisement

Looks like the only sports franchise making good progress is Madden but I cant get into it at all...

Demo on August 11th

The Street ball sounds good, real parks too like Rucker Park and Venice Beach. Really looking forward to giving this a go.

https://twitter.com/EASPORTSNBA/status/892460370199236612

Well you are on your own m8, will wait a good few weeks before getting this and would NEVER get the 2K basketball again.....hopefully this is really good so I can get it.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Well you are on your own m8, will wait a good few weeks before getting this and would NEVER get the 2K basketball again.....hopefully this is really good so I can get it.

Well the demo should tell me what I need to know about getting it day one anyway. I fell the same about 2k....until they release some cool career mode addition and I'll be suckered into it. Doing good so far though in deciding I'm not getting it but then again I'm weak....

I'd love if EA's version turned out good so I could ignore 2K completely.

• Advertisement

Ya DURTY old man......LMAO.

I would nearly buy this just to rub 2Ks nose in it.

It does look very good.

NBA Live Companion App now live on android and iPhone app stores. It has a face scan that will work in the demo out on Friday.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    NBA Live Companion App now live on android and iPhone app stores. It has a face scan that will work in the demo out on Friday.

Ahhh yes, the face scan app.

I remember the 2K one, grown men lying on the floor getting their wifes and kids to take multiple pictures of them in different lighting situation to TRY and get a decent pic that would not work.

Good times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Well the demo should tell me what I need to know about getting it day one anyway. I fell the same about 2k....until they release some cool career mode addition and I'll be suckered into it. Doing good so far though in deciding I'm not getting it but then again I'm weak....

I'd love if EA's version turned out good so I could ignore 2K completely.

2K career has sucked ass. Ive tried to get into it but just cant. You have way less control over the character than years ago
    The clips it shows are just not interesting as you have nothing to do with them and dont get me started on the texts from mom :mad:
    Its similar to last year where you had to force yourself through the first season

Since I'm refusing to start an NBA 2K18 thread, I said i'd post the info here as it might interest the same crowd.

2K18 'Prelude' demo releasing September 8th with full game releasing the day after. Also a dev diary is releasing shortly about how great the graphics will be this year and how they have the highest number of shoe scans ever.

Jesus 2K, the same broken things every year but they are obsessed with the shoes in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Jesus 2K, the same broken things every year but they are obsessed with the shoes in the game.

I wonder if it has anything to do with Americans and their obsession for shoes...

I hadn't played a basketball game since NBA Jam days, so when i got 2K16 free with PS+. Have to say, stupid story aside (nice to know i was the only white guy in the family!), i loved the game. The gameplay was very well done imo, but i have nothing recent to compare it to.

So i Googled and found that 2K16 was better than Live 16. Has this been a trend for a while? Are the 2K games really that bad? I haven't played a Live one, and i was tempted to get Live 17 but reviews put me off it, they said 2K17 was better but to stick to 2K16.

When ye are mentioning the problems which still aren't fixed, what exactly are ye talking about? I didn't really come across any problems in the career mode anyway, and that's all i play.

2K has been far superior to Live for a number of years, so much so that Live has skipped numerous years. 2K is a brilliant game plagued with niggly problems that carry over from game to game. Like, I'll buy it launch every year and the same issue every year with problems connecting to servers. Since the offline modes are always online, you can't play them properly if the servers go down.

Then there's cheese every year like last year, guys who instantly spend 100's of dollars, max out their 7 ft guys who can nail 3's at will even if you contest the shot. Made it very frustrating to play against. THen you ave My Park which is class online street ball.....except how hard it is to play with friends online. When you do manage to play, you ar eup against the same 99 rated guys above and you also have to deal with lag because **** EU servers right?

Now, 2K said yesterday they have changed the shooting mechanic to stop people hitting shots so easily, especially when they are contested so we'll see. But every year, there are a list of bugs/cheeses (check Operation Sports NBA 2K forum) but 2k are more interested in updating the game with the newest jerseys and shoes and selling VC.

I never shout at a game as much as NBA 2K (both of joy and anger), it has the potential to be absolutely brilliant but they just let me down every year.

NBA Live is actually looking good this year, demo on Friday should tell us more, but I would love if it gave 2k some stiff competition to stop taking their fans for granted.

A few other lads in here can go into WAY more detail as they have done in previous 2k threads about the issues they face every year.

Only way I would even think about another 2K game is waiting about 3mths to read the reviews and get it on a trade in.....day 1 release you would want to be off your head.

And by the sounds of things thus far, it's the same engine again for the umpteenth year so there will be very little change.

One change I did like which I read about was that a defender with his back to the play won't react as well as one facing it.

This would really only effect SP and career but it was a big issue for me that the AI would be literally stuck to you on a string and the only way you could get open off the ball was if they left you to help defence elsewhere.

If this is as advanced as it sounds it might make playing against the AI a bit better.

I'm not buying a digital copy this year for certain as I'd have shipped 17 to CEX fairly early last year if it was an option.

I'll check this AI tracking in the prelude, if its the same craic with every game feeling similar regardless of opposition and your marker stuck to you on a string then I won't bother as online is futile with the button delay and engine exploits(weaving left and right dribblers etc)

Cant see much changing with the same engine alright, BUT online could easily be fixed with dedicated european servers and a little TLC. Again the main market as always is the US and all they need to do is throw in a load of air jordans in different colours and all the "homies" just fall over themselves to buy the game.

Id say if they brought out the EXACT SAME GAME with a different cover star the yanks would be saying its the best game eva' yo!

• Advertisement

Someone is streaming the NBA Live demo at the moment.

Apparently if you creat a new zealand account for either xbox or ps4, you can download the demo now, it's 16-20GB's.

Actually looks really good. Graphics not as good as 2K and Live 18 looks slower than 2k but it looks really solid. Looking forward to giving it a lash tomorrow. Youtubers seem to be singing it's praises anyway. Watching a stream and the guy is actually playing against Chris Smoove (as in EA made an AI character of him) class!

Chris Smoove has announced he is part of a Live Event this weekend on the demo, class idea. For the amount of sales of 2k that he generates every year, 2k should have done something like this with him.

Release date is 15th September and if you preorder, it only costs 40 instead of 60. Ballsy move EA.

http://forums.operationsports.com/forums/nba-live/912825-nba-live-18-cover-athlete-james-harden-pre-order-39-99-releases-9-15-a.html

Demo is up on the psn store now.

Wow.. that looks REALLY like 2K in most ways.

The dribbling, the defenders motions, the craziness of it.

It looks like they just said we'll copy the 2K template and apply our own engine/tweeks.

Maybe they can do a better job of executing it, they do make the best sports games across the board.

The last few Lives were atrocious though, looks like they've started from scratch... wasn't the word last year that they were giving up?. Thought I read that.

Have to say I am loving the Demo, the players are much higher res then 2K17 (not sure about 2K18 as I would not even look at it lol) and the defending is brilliant. Attacking seems to be alot harder with no more easy 3s or easy 2s for that matter, and the UI and music are very good too.

Might just pre order this.......jury is out for a day or two but I will play the balls outta this demo pardon the pun.

Ya I'm loving it, feels gritty but every basket is earned, like Wonda said, no more easy buckets. I'm not liking the crate system, I just want to buy a new T-shirt but the crates have random items, most things are crap, not sure if I'm missing something.

The videos are class and the sports boys arguing is excellent. The crowds and courts are brilliant. Venice is 10 tines better than 2k's street ball. Music and sounds are excellent.

I'm a 6'2 playmaking PG, already storming past people finishing class layups.

Wonda, I'll be on late tonight if you wanna try a few games

Heading off now mate but I be on over weekend, only thing dodgy at the moment are the passes. They seem very hit and miss, hopefully its because I am a 7ft 2 BFG!

I picked a BIG MAN to lock down the paint......love it when you reject a shot.

• Advertisement

Edit: preorder is up on psn store for 47 euro. EA website disclaimer says GameStop and Argos will have the discount as well in the UK, interesting to see if Argos here will have it at that price launch day and if GS will have the preorder at discount as well.

Finished the The Rise today, got the number 1 pick to the 76ers. Really really enjoyed it, every game was close and tense. The AI is way better than 2k. Even when my guys would miss, it was mostly down to good defence by the other team.

Speaking of, the defence is class, actually feel like you are playing defence where as 2k, it was very caught in an animation of a guy blowing past you or everyone hacking on the steal button getting fouls. In this, a bad steal attempt puts you out of position and gives the other guy an easy pass. There hasn't been 1 foul in any game I've played where as 2k, nearly every position had a foul between hacking at the pg or just drawing a foul driving to the basket.

I played 2 online games. Both had 2 real players on each team, 3 CPU, we couldn't seem to get more. Some highlights below and then the end of the game to show some proper flow. I was the only playmaker and smallest in my team, other team has a very similar human player but they matched me against a taller stronger shooter. Was getting backed down and dunked on a lot but for my own back with a tasty block at the end.

The level up system is excellent, I can only level up my dribbling, passing and mid range shot so far. It's too make everyone play differently and really shows on the court. Also if you try to dribble past everyone and then take a contested shot, it's just not gonna go. A lot of glory hole action but 90% of the time it wouldn't pay off, very refreshing.

Advertisement