Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Live 18

Options

Comments

Played the "Prelube".

It's not a whole pile different gameplay wise... I certainly didn't notice this non animation gameplay that was touted.

Most noticeable aspects were players tipping balls back the court on rebounds.

You can get free a tad more as well, while they're still on you like an attached string you can get a little free outside of a play with general movement.

Not much else to add.

I can't play two basketball games together, so it'll come down to what Live offers during the trial.

I think that's out Tuesday so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'd that EA early thing different by region as well? Yanks playing it since Friday but I spose you only have 10 hours anyway. Yupp, no way am I getting 2 games.

I see The Game Collection added 2k18 for preorder at 45 pounds. If they add Live 18 for the same price I'll snatch it up. Sent them a message to confirm if they will be selling it. Would be strange if they don't as they are selling EA hockey and madden.

Argos have 2k added to their instore computers at 63 euro, no sign of live on their systems yet.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'd that EA early thing different by region as well? Yanks playing it since Friday but I spose you only have 10 hours anyway. Yupp, no way am I getting 2 games.

I see The Game Collection added 2k18 for preorder at 45 pounds. If they add Live 18 for the same price I'll snatch it up. Sent them a message to confirm if they will be selling it. Would be strange if they don't as they are selling EA hockey and madden.

Argos have 2k added to their instore computers at 63 euro, no sign of live on their systems yet.

Ahh ya I forgot about that, EA games coming out in the US on Tuesdays as opposed to Friday in the EU.

Changed regions and the trial is there now.

Good shout, never copped that.

If both are good, I'll get them both at some stage but from playing football games etc I know it's just too much adjusting to play two together so a choice for one is needed.

That Argos price is rubbish.

It seems game prices here have gone north again, they were atrocious, then dropped a lot this time last year and seem to be gone back to that e60+ mark again.

The Game Collection said it doesn't look like they'll be getting NBA Live 18 in stock but that might change. Sickner as I'm mad to get it Friday physical for a good price. Not fair the US get it for 30/40 dollars at launch. I really don't want to get it digitally. If anyone sees some good prices for it, please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The Game Collection said it doesn't look like they'll be getting NBA Live 18 in stock but that might change. Sickner as I'm mad to get it Friday physical for a good price. Not fair the US get it for 30/40 dollars at launch. I really don't want to get it digitally. If anyone sees some good prices for it, please let me know.

I've never seen someone so up for a game before. Do you work for them or something!?!? :D

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    I've never seen someone so up for a game before. Do you work for them or something!?!? :D

If I did, I wouldn't be on here scrounging for a good deal, I'd be playing it right now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I'm actually living in the US for the moment, so I might try to pick up Live as soon as it hits the shelves here. I didn't get a chance to try the prelude yet. I'm desperately trying to finish off MyCareer in 2k17 as soon as I can (in the playoffs at the moment).

If I buy the US version of Live, and play with my European account, will I still be able to purchase DLC? Does anyone know how matchmaking works (is it by IP, or filtered by home geo tied to your account). I'd like to avoid lagfests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Jesus I just played the prelude. Why oh why do they feel we need to watch these godawful unskippable cutscenes year after year? My eyes and ears may never recover from the dicking they just took in the last hour. Its even worse than the Spike Jonze one.

Im undecided about the game itself. Its pretty much the last few games with a new coat of paint there are no sweeping changes thats for sure.

Ive played 2k17 from release and I still give it a few hours most weeks. Completely against the grain here but I thought it was the best in the series, despite the fact that it has lots of the same old problems which I dont need to remind anybody of.

I could easily give it a miss this year and keep tipping away at 17 when I feel the urge but I know ill probably crack and buy it a week after release. My interest in Live is close to none at the moment but if I get my hands on it for a few hours my mind might be changed.

As for the 2K18 story, they have definitely lost the run of themselves. You gave up bball to become a dj but sucked so now going back to bball. What an awful way to start a story but I know there is a recording studio that opens up at a certain level so looks like you go back to making music....awesome. As for that Asian room mate/sister, how can they sign off on such awful writing. They're probably all congratulating themselves on how funny the scenes are.

Greg, did you try the Live demo yet? I'm hooked on it, still playing it every night.

As for the 2K18 story, they have definitely lost the run of themselves. You gave up bball to become a dj but sucked so now going back to bball. What an awful way to start a story but I know there is a recording studio that opens up at a certain level so looks like you go back to making music....awesome. As for that Asian room mate/sister, how can they sign off on such awful writing. They're probably all congratulating themselves on how funny the scenes are.

Greg, did you try the Live demo yet? I'm hooked on it, still playing it every night.

The story is so terrible its actually turned me off buying it to be honest. I cant bare the thought of sitting through those painful cutscenes for a few minutes before and after each game at the start of mycareer. They dont even mask a loading screen which would make it slightly less unforgivable.

Ill have a go at the Live demo tonight zero if its any less disastrous than the prelude Ill buy it over the weekend.

• Advertisement

v3ttel wrote: »
    If I buy the US version of Live, and play with my European account, will I still be able to purchase DLC? Does anyone know how matchmaking works (is it by IP, or filtered by home geo tied to your account). I'd like to avoid lagfests.

Checked on the PS Forum and looks like DLC is only locked to the account you buy a digital game with. EG. Buy Live from your US account, you can only buy DLC on that US account. Looks like Physical games are region free and you can use your euro account and buy dlc with it also. Not 100% on it though.

As for the matchmaking, I'm not sure but would imagine it depends on your physical connection and not your account settings. Might even depend on the game server setup.

Checking prices for 2K & Live is very annoying. Every year I buy 2k and it is 70-75 everywhere. This year, Argos selling it for 63 and Smyths selling it for 65. Live looks like it's going to be hard to get. GS have it for 70, feck that. Just waiting if Argos will get it and for how much.

I think it will be too dodgy to get it digitally so will hold out for a physical copy.

Hmmm, I think it's the DLC where I get'd get caught. The game itself is region free, but the DLC is not. Usually that would be no big deal, but if the DLC is virtual currency, then that's linked to your account. Otherwise for DLC you download (like extra parts of a story) and that can be played on any account.

Yupp, virtual currency can only be used on the same region account as the game. One of the lads on the PS forum said they got a physical US game but only DLC on their us account would work for it. I suppose you could always try, buy the minimum amount on the Irish account and if it doesn't work, just stick to your US account to play the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Almost half that price on CDKeys at €32.29

The Game Collection have it in stock now for PS4 - 49 GBP (54.50 euro). I've ordered it through parcel motel so hopefully will have it friday night or saturday morning.

https://www.thegamecollection.net/nba-live-18-ps4/

Feck it, took the plunge and ordered Live through the store as a pre-order for €49.50. Just waiting for it to download. Let me know if anyone is up for some games (though I will suck), or if we can get some online games going on the same team.

I might be online a bit too late during the week though....lag might be bad as I'm US west coast for the moment, but worth a shot. The games we played on myPark last year were a good laugh!

v3ttel wrote: »

I might be online a bit too late during the week though....lag might be bad as I'm US west coast for the moment, but worth a shot. The games we played on myPark last year were a good laugh!

Yeah man, gimme a shout if you see me on - sheehy83
    We might catch each other despite timezones :)

I saw on operationsports, some people saying they got 5 dollars credit back on the digital preorder because other people got the game early and some people can't play it until this afternoon when it should have unlocked midnight last night.

HA, 20 minutes into 2K18 going live last night, someone posted this pic of their first game. All guys rated 85 except 1. You start the game as a 55 and you can use VC to upgrade to 85. You need 200k VC for that and that costs 50 euro to buy. They never even bothered buying clothes to get out of the default brown shirt, grey pants. **** sake :pac:

I'm glad I went with Live this year. Now, I wouldn't mind playing 2K, the neighbourhood does look interesting but I have no problem waiting for a sale/Christmas.

Also, 'White Mike' looks like he was out for a walk and stumbled into a streetball game by accident :)

89715e8e5c34d5348554dc2a0e76ddc5.jpg

Jaysus, I hope the graphics in that pic are just to do with the phone it was taken on! :eek:

I played Live last night after it downloaded. Overall, I like it. The drills in the tutorial are good at showing you the very basics.

Post play seems a bit overpowered. I think Nurkic was something like 9 for 9 so I can only imagine the destruction the elite bigs will do.

It's a nice change from 2K, but it's not as polished in many ways. I had one or two instances where players and the ball teleported a bit, like they got stuck in an animation at the wrong place.The funniest thing is that I was played as the Blazers against the Celtics, and at the start of OT the Celtic players started to become invisible. It wasn't until the game had to re-render after a timeout that Hayward was visible again. It's weird trying to guard a seemingly alien controlled basketball.

I'm looking forward in playing online a bit, trying out The One and Ultimate team.

• Advertisement

Yeah there are some things where it's like ffs EA but all in all I finish games in a much better mood than 2k games so the little things are worth getting through for me. I was watching Chris Smoove's career videos. His vids want hype me up about 2k every year and even though watching them today has made me want to try it, there's so much **** in it. Can't preview haircuts, long cutscenes with a lot of shyte talk, no more vc modifier for playing on higher difficulties, fouls on nearly every drive he made to the basket (one of my biggest complaints about the prelude) and still turnovers galore.

It probably has more longevity than Live but I was getting frustrated just watching the 2k vids so I think I made the right choice.

Game is currently on its way to my parcel motel so will hopefully be there for the morning.

Just seen a 2k18 video of Isiah Thomas jumping up about 6 feet in the air and blocking a Robin Lopez dunk. It looks so broken.

Got the Live demo earlier and I actually like the way it plays. Going to get it during the week. Fook 2k this year id only be stressed playing it.

Not a huge basketball fan but I had a feeling Isiah Thomas was on the shorter side so I googled him and that video came up - https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/9/14/16308070/isaiah-thomas-nba-live-18-vertical-video

:pac:

So I tried a bit of Live and the online portion killed it for me.

Had a game with lag worse than 2k some ridiculous things happened that had me raging with the latency.

Just bit the bullet and bought 2k on disc(option to resell if it is played as little as 17).

The fact I'll get it for free down the line on access coupled with the higher cost were factors.

While the general gameplay is similar there are one or two positives.

I played six games of MyTeam and they were all VERY smooth.

They replaced the blacktop board game with a 5v5 rules game.
    You draft two players per pack, pick one, no subs.
    So you have to decide "Do I want this 85 SG or take the 80 PF I need to fill that exact position". There's also a manager play style thats factored into that decision.

One guy I played had Paul at C so I just kept posting him with Gasol.
    The post mismatches in that regard work better than than before, I was scoring most shots(similarly against SFs in another game).
    However the minor gripe with that is I played a guy with a 66 bronze centre and started missing those same shots.

Main addition to Career is the lack of training days.

Your calendar has games only and the practice gym can be used to work on badges.
    You pick a badge, the side bar tells you which ones the drill works towards(can be multiple) and this feeds into the totals needed(ie 12,000 for one and you'd get maybe 300 per average attempt).

Unlocking upgrades happens across the board, games, park, gym, practice gym... I got to 35% of first one after 3/4 games, 3 park games, full round of gym stations and two practice gym drills so it'll take a while to unlock those.

Lag in the Park is still as it was though and people taking the same stupid shots... I think in three games I had ONE shot, a breakaway dunk.

I tried use the Xbox gaming hub like I done for FIFA Clubs but didn't get a single message to my multiple bumped posts.
    However the thing is just being spammed with people asking others to gameshare NBA with them(absurd that anyone would give account access to a complete stranger... haha) so I guess it'll take a few days to get use from that.

I'm hoping to build up some EU players through that and not have to lone wolf the park any more.

Played a couple of hours this morning, absolutely love it! My demo character loaded straight up, no messing around. Started up The One and was given a chance for an insta trade to any team, straight to the Bulls (there's some mother****er wearing 23, blasphemy!!!). You are asked to customise your season or leave at default. Default is 29 games and best of 5 in playoff. That suits me down to the ground as I always struggled to get through an 80 game season in 2k.You'll get an objective each game but can choose extra ones if you talk to the coach.

The commentary is really lacking and sounds dead. 2k commentary pisses all over live. Half time show is class though showing the best plays and plenty of stats.

As for the gameplay itself, the pace is a bit slower than 2k but the game feels so much more physical, every bump and drive is a struggle, feels great. Like stated already, most of the points are in the paint, very few mid range shots. Doesn't mean everything was going in, had plenty of runs on both ends with no scores.

I jumped into Pro-Am and each court has its own tournament. Again, each game has objectives and crate rewards for winning the tournament. Each court also had specific challenges you play against the legends who used to play there. I love this mode, closest thing to NBA Street you can get.

Gave Ultimate Team (LUT) a go, I don't usually play those types a lot but this looks very speaking as there is a **** ton of single payer challenges. I'm not sure how the online part of it works and there didn't seem to be a make your own Jersey \court like 2k. Looking forward to putting in some proper time with it.

Anything I played had my character constantly levelling up, being cash, levelling up traits (badges), unlocking new crates for gear. Feels very natural to level up. You have slots for 5 different characters to make on the go as each plausible had different unlocks when you are levelling up, interested to try other types as I usually just stock with PG.

Bottom line, I enjoyed every game I've played and came away boxing wanting to get straight back in.

Pity you can't make a custom pro-am team for friends, but with the lack of interest here and on my friends list mixed with the divided between live and 2k, might be hard to get a team together anyway.

If anyone gets it on ps4, gimme an add - sheehy83

Got this class play of the game.

This... Not so much play of the game :)

https://twitter.com/Sheehy_83/status/909143732703956993

Played a couple of hours this morning, absolutely love it! My demo character loaded straight up, no messing around. Started up The One and was given a chance for an insta trade to any team, straight to the Bulls (there's some mother****er wearing 23, blasphemy!!!). You are asked to customise your season or leave at default. Default is 29 games and best of 5 in playoff. That suits me down to the ground as I always struggled to get through an 80 game season in 2k.You'll get an objective each game but can choose extra ones if you talk to the coach.

Major +1 on all of that.

Loved the fact you can instant request a trade (I was drafted to the Kings) and also loved the fact you can totally customise the season length, etc. I always struggle with 82 games, plus 7 for each round in the playoffs. Now I can play multiple seasons.

I also really like the way you can set the set the time of the quarters and simulated quarters to be the same. They seemed to remove that option for one year in 2K, and your team stats are always screwed because the CPU simmed games are 12 min quarters.

Shame there is no pro-am, but yeah, probably would have been tricky to get numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Might pick live up this week, I will see as I am bet into Destiny 2 at the minute.

Liking 2k overall but I've unearthed a ridiculous glitch that will be abused massively in the next few days when others cop it.

Not sure is it MyTeam and/or 2K camera specific but basically if a time out is called after one free throw on the resumption the camera stays pointing away from the game and you have to guess it or it'll auto miss.

I've normally used time outs to set my focuses and prefer to do it on FTs than a make/inbound... the first 2/3 times I wasn't sure if they could see the shot but I've done it to myself twice since.

Nobody calls TOs online so every time it's been my call.

Once this gets around you can basically guarantee a miss on the second FT every single time.

I'll be jumping back to Career before this becomes commonplace.

Who tests these games ffs.

• Advertisement

Liking 2k overall but I've unearthed a ridiculous glitch that will be abused massively in the next few days when others cop it.

:pac: that's a glitch from 2k17 man! Me and the lads on here would play Pro-Am, anytime we had a free throw (most drives), the other team would call a TO during the freethrows and the camera would point at us instead of the basket. Such a **** move but can't believe it still exists the 2k18. I'm sure they have the new Jordan's though :D

Advertisement