Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Live 18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gilberto, I read that on 2k, players characters are being deleted along with their VC. Devs said they are working on a patch but Xbox users should avoid my career for a while and try other modes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA2k/comments/70j9cc/psa_sept_16_update_on_missing_saves_2k_support/

=========================

Live 18, I'm hooked on the Pro-Am challenges. Still on the Philly park with just 2 challenges left, both include getting more rebounds than a park legend so my 6'2 PG is having some trouble with it. Playing so much though that i have maxed dribbling skill and breaking ankles is so satisfying. Unlocked dunks as a secondary skill and maxed it out unlocking flashy dunks and 'dunk on's' which are class.

I've read moving the sliders helps to reduce in paint points, especially contested ones, must have a look.

I'm getting the same as other complaints, CPU either drives to the paint or takes a 3, no midrange shooting.

Other than that I think the ai is excellent, posessions and reactions feel very organic.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Gilberto, I read that on 2k, players characters are being deleted along with their VC. Devs said they are working on a patch but Xbox users should avoid my career for a while and try other modes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA2k/comments/70j9cc/psa_sept_16_update_on_missing_saves_2k_support/

=========================

Live 18, I'm hooked on the Pro-Am challenges. Still on the Philly park with just 2 challenges left, both include getting more rebounds than a park legend so my 6'2 PG is having some trouble with it. Playing so much though that i have maxed dribbling skill and breaking ankles is so satisfying. Unlocked dunks as a secondary skill and maxed it out unlocking flashy dunks and 'dunk on's' which are class.

I've read moving the sliders helps to reduce in paint points, especially contested ones, must have a look.

I'm getting the same as other complaints, CPU either drives to the paint or takes a 3, no midrange shooting.

Other than that I think the ai is excellent, posessions and reactions feel very organic.

Ffs... I was just trying to get into it seeing as there's an impending issue with MyTeam coming once it's picked up on(FTs off a TO).

I just noticed watching one of Smooves video that there's a stamina bar you have to work on regularly.

Not sure how long I'd have gone without noticing though I was wondering why my player was so slow :D

It's a bit overkill tbh.

You lose about 20% a game and I think its bugged as I've got it to 100% and still missing a chunk of stamina(unless that stat needs to be maxed out to avoid that).

You have to go to the gym and do three drills to get back to 100%(33% each), you can even just leave the controller down at that point.

The annoying thing is it effects the Park too, if you go on a winning streak as I did yest you're going to have no stamina after a few games then have to head off back to the gym.

That needs to be removed or with miniscule decreases(2% a game as opposed to nearly 1/5th).

The annoying thing is it effects the Park too, if you go on a winning streak as I did yest you're going to have no stamina after a few games then have to head off back to the gym.

Ah that's ridiculous, is there still the usual wait for games and do squads still take priority and get to go on before you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I am delighted to see that the 2K devs still have a bug riddled pile of ****e.....but as was said, loads of cool shoes and stuff.

The amount of grief I got the last game not to mention lost VC that I paid for separately from the game and the smug support team could not give a ****. Never again will they get a penny from me in any shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

So I requested a trade to the Knicks as they don't have a PG rated above 75. I'm a PG and my archetype is point shooter. The problem I'm having is that they keep playing me at SF. I'm chronically undersized to play there (6'1) and I'm on giants like Gallinari (6'10). I'm not sure if this is a bug or not. I get subbed in every game after a couple of mins, stay on for the rest of the game and Carmelo sits out?

Also, even though my highest ratings are for 3 point shot and mid range, I can barely knock down a shot. Yet, I seem to be able to drive and finish in the paint like I'm Westbrook/Lillard/Harden combined.

• Advertisement

Ah that's ridiculous, is there still the usual wait for games and do squads still take priority and get to go on before you?

There's been no changes to the Park set up.

People see you're 65 and leave the ready up.

Squads rule the day in terms of games and preference.

Did read earlier there's one court that has no squad up but didn't notice it.

Haven't had any luck with the inbuilt forums which worked a treat for FIFA clubs... was getting 2/3 players in a few mins per post.
    Have refreshed my 2k thread and not had a single reply thus far.

I watched a few Smoove videos and thought I made a mistake getting live instead of 2k, looked good but looking up forums, it's just all people complaining about vc, grinding gym and drills, grinding badges, buying vc to get to straight to 85 as ive read plenty of threads about people leaving the spot if you step up and are under 85.

So glad I went with Live as I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It does have its issues and v3ttel, that sounds awful frustrating and would make me switch team buy you obviously want to play with them so hope it gets sorted out. Subs are definitely fishy though. I played a game of ultimate team and I thought auto subs were on but there wasn't one sub from mine or the other team all game. Stamina seemed to be OK so not sure what was happening there.

Completed all the challenges in Philly, got some nice rewards like a Dr. J and Iverson throwback Philly jerseys. Onto Dykman!

The worse thing though is the complete disrespect Live is getting from reviewers, they read like that's what they are expected to say on how much better 2k is. I'm just hoping it doesn't affect the future of the franchise because they have a solid base to work on for next year.

The pros still outweigh the cons massively with the season being fully customisable and the game play being a nice change from 2K. I might start getting game time at PG when my rating starts to improve, otherwise I'll just request a trade. I'm not far in, so failing all of that I'll just start again and will go for a stretch four or hybrid wing.

One more thing, does anyone else find the game play seems to struggle for frame rate a little? I'm playing on a different TV and have noticed that on FIFA, I even get a little stutter occasionally. Not sure if it's Live or the TV that's the cause.

Yeah I get the odd frame rate issue that makes gameplay look like it stutters a bit gameplay is mostly very smooth but sometimes it looks a bit jarring. I'm having a ton of fun as a 6'2 slasher. I can't shoot 3's for the life of me but I'm breaking ankles all around me and I'm addicted to pull back jumpers after I had to do one in a challenge.

For anyone on 2k, neogaf and operation sports are full of people doing this to get VC. Christ it sounds like an awful chore.

1. Start a new MyLeague
    2. Pick a team
    3. Pick Simcast
    4. Simulate untill the last minute (like final 20~40 seconds)
    5. Jump into the game
    6. Let the game end
    7. GG, easy 800 VC onto ur account

Somehow u only get 100 VC for the games after, so what I do is after simming a game, I check in MyTeam my VC balance, delete the MyLeague save file and just make a new one and u will get 800 VC for the first game again. Just made 5k in a couple of minutes lol, gonna max out my character in no time.

For Live 18, I read that missing tattoos can be caused by the face scan. Reset the head to default and then back to facescan. Tattoos still missing but now my guy put on about 70 pounds of bulk. A quick google showing a lot of other peoples body types changing as soon as they went messing with the face scan. Just a heads up in case anyone else does the same.

• Advertisement

Yeah I get the odd frame rate issue that makes gameplay look like it stutters a bit gameplay is mostly very smooth but sometimes it looks a bit jarring. I'm having a ton of fun as a 6'2 slasher. I can't shoot 3's for the life of me but I'm breaking ankles all around me and I'm addicted to pull back jumpers after I had to do one in a challenge.

For anyone on 2k, neogaf and operation sports are full of people doing this to get VC. Christ it sounds like an awful chore.

Nice, I'll give that a go when I'm home.

Since half the lads going around are already 85 I'm playing catch up... can't make a jump shot at all in the Park either(dropped way more in career on HOF).

One thing I do like a lot more this year is that I can beat people off the dribble and I'm only currently a 66(so the only way is up). In previous versions I had to use PnR to have any hope while now with a crossover or two I've been getting lots of lay ups.

Probably have more lay ups than jumpers and I'm a sharpshooting playmaker.

They also removed that stupid right stick jumper that required an up and down so if you drive left and hold it left to take a pull up once you time it right you'll make the shot.

I hated that last year as I was constantly messing up shots pulling it different directions on the fly(and didn't want to lose the boost that it was supposed to give).

I changed camera angle and I don't see to have framerate issues any more. I was using either "baseline" or "baseline low" and one of them definitely isn't working the way it should. The game looks and feels so much better now without the constant stutter.

Also, my position seems to be sorted now that I've been made a starter. They play me at PG instead of SF. Also, when I was a role player, because the quarters were so short players stamina would never get too low so all of the starters would literally play the first 2 mins of the first quarter and sit out the rest of the game, while me and the other role players we're left.

I'm much happier with the game now and I'm belting away through the 29 game season. The last remaining problem is that I find it incredibly difficult to get open for jumpers (the AI track my movements unbelievably) and even when I do, I still struggle to knock down any shots. All of my "point shooters" points are coming from drives, even in traffic.

V3ttel, you should try the step back jumper. I'm the same, it's very hard to get open. Even if I managed to take an open shot, it will most likely be a contested shot for some reason. With the step back, I usually throw a few crossovers, drive down one side of the key and then just hold the right stick down. He will jab step forward, take a step back and put up a shot. If you can get timing down, it can be very effective. So much so, I've started putting points into shooting off dribble which I would never normally do. It will help having a high dribble skill with it.

I must try changing camera as you suggested.

I find the same thing. Even when I seem to be wide open it becomes a contested shot out of nowhere.

I remember doing the step back in the practice drills and thinking that it would be super effective. It has a nice range of motion with the sort of euro hop forward and the step back. The few times I have tried it in game it didn't work for me, but by that stage I was probably already cold and nothing was going to work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

How is the Live franchise??
    I like custom drafts in 2k, more games should do it

Haven't touched franchise, can't help you there but I've read its shyte as you can't edit rosters and trades are very poor.

V3ttel, good shout about the camera. I changed mine from baseline to baseline low. Looks the exact same but plays way smoother!

Good to see the 2k microtransactions **** being brought to light. I'd have no problem if it was a free to play game but they really need to be called out on it. Saying that, 2k see what GTA online dollars are getting them so it's not a surprise.

https://kotaku.com/nba-2k18-is-riddled-with-microtransactions-1818554307

Good to see the 2k microtransactions **** being brought to light. I'd have no problem if it was a free to play game but they really need to be called out on it. Saying that, 2k see what GTA online dollars are getting them so it's not a surprise.

https://kotaku.com/nba-2k18-is-riddled-with-microtransactions-1818554307

Can you really compare a niche game to perhaps the biggest franchise ever :eek:
    I dont hate micro-transactions but really dislike that they take more away from games

irishman86 wrote: »
    Can you really compare a niche game to perhaps the biggest franchise ever :eek:
    I dont hate micro-transactions but really dislike that they take more away from games

Compared them as both are owned by the same parent company Take Two Interactive. The bigwigs have their big money meetings and see that GTA Online is making them a ton of money from microtransactions so they logically see where that can apply to their other games. People are throwing bucket loads of cash at VC for the last few years, more than ever this year going by operation sports forums, so it's not gonna stop anytime soon. It's just nice to see some kind of backlash instead of the 'well that's just the way it is'.

An EA Game Changer (official tester for EA picked from certain forums, basically someone who has great ideas and can represent the community for the game in feedback) has said an update was pushed out, one of the live updates that EA push through the servers, not through an actual patch, has changed the AI driving tendancy. You should see the AI taking more mid range shots, 3's and more missed contested drives. I did notice a good few mid ranges last night but though it was a fluke. Also much more realistic blocks.

• Advertisement

Jim Sterling ripping into 2K over the VC issue, brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Funny thing is, he is dead right and its spreading like wildfire.

Hope the series tanks like ****, and any other that rapes you for micro transactions,

I'm not opposed to micro-transactions but it does feel like they've gone about 10 steps too far. When you make things so unattainable $20 equates to 200 games, and you need VC for absolutely EVERY THING in game...... no thanks.

I'll stick with NBA Live that I paid €49 quid for and that I can blast away at for hours on end by just leveling up. Not that EA are much better (FIFA, where you can spend €20 on packs and get the square root of feck all for that in packs), but at least they're on the money with Live. I guess now that they've decent game play, they will build this crap in when they build their player base.

Compared them as both are owned by the same parent company Take Two Interactive. The bigwigs have their big money meetings and see that GTA Online is making them a ton of money from microtransactions so they logically see where that can apply to their other games. People are throwing bucket loads of cash at VC for the last few years, more than ever this year going by operation sports forums, so it's not gonna stop anytime soon. It's just nice to see some kind of backlash instead of the 'well that's just the way it is'.

I agree, i feel my comment read wrong from how i meant it :o
    I meant how can they not you think it would work, sorry :o

If I can't find anyone to play the Park with I won't be playing this game long.

I've refreshed my post on the xbox game hub about 15 times and haven't had a single reply. It was automatic for FIFA, would get 2/3 lads per refresh.

The last few game I've played in the Park were the stereotypical trash game. Had to quit out of two of the past three, getting thrashed with scrubs taking stupid shots over and over(one lad went 0:7 in one game) while my guy isn't good enough to do much to balance that.

Lads are still doing that annoying left, right, left, right **** on the perimeter too when dribbling with an 85+ that's impossible to stay with between the delay and lesser defender.
    Why they can't input a penalty for people doing that is beyond me, really ruins the experience.

I need to find people to play with soon or i'll trade it in once Career goes stale as you need online to keep you interested and I'm sick of rolling the dice and playing with chumps.

I haven't even tried online yet with Live, I really have to give it a go soon. Anytime I put it on, I'm sucked straight into pro-am offline. The tournament and challenges setup is brilliant. I thought I was upgrading very quick, getting a bit too good breaking ankles and then I'm faced off against Kyrie in the Dykman final, he had me dancing like an eejit.

One of my favourite things about Live is the defense. You can't do the zig zag 2k thing because the defender can cut off the lane and bump you. If he presses steal quick enough after a bump, there's a good chance of steal. Puts a stop to just running at people. On the flip side, as a defender, if you start trying dance left and right too much, you can fall into an attackers trap and make it easier to get your ankle broken. There's a great risk/reward system. Go for a bad steal and miss, you are giving the attacker an opening to fly past. None of the 2k keep hitting steel til you get the ball or foul. If you don't get the steal, high chance they are getting a basket.

Definite changes in the background as well. Very few paint shots going in, more mid range and more realistic blocks. Has completely changed my driving game but makes it more realistic\challenging.

Found the same, Zero-Cool....things were going well for me and then I played against the Celtics last night. Kyrie was driving and breaking ankles all over the place.

Whenever I look at my shot chart, all of my makes are from drives and all of my misses are from jumpers. I'm glad that they are changing the balance a little bit. It's a bit unbalanced where scoring in the paint is too easy, and scoring jumpers is too difficult. My highest rating are 3 point shots and mid range, so my driving game should be pretty weak.

I haven't tried pro-am at all. Must give that a go, but I'm just enjoying "The One" too much to try anything else at the moment. I want to try get a season complete before FIFA comes out.

It's mad how we are both playing the One and doing complete opposite. I've only played 2 NBA games so far :) I keep saying I'll mix it up and still just keep at pro-am. Good story going on in the background as well building your status with fans and your friend trying to get you to get him into the nba.

I've put all my points so far into layup and dunk but now with the changes, will be focused on shot of the dribble. I would build up mid range except contested shots seem a bit broken as in its extremely hard to take a non contested shot so it might be wasted. Hopefully I can get a good step back jumper going.

New update on ps4 for live. Fixes minor bugs apparently, not much details on exactly what yet though.

• Advertisement

Advertisement