Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Modern sporing rifle/Ar 15 platform Variations

• 10-06-2017 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi All,

I am on the lookout for a Modern Sporting Rifle/AR platform rifle. I have looked at Remington R15 in 223 - but not in love with it.

Could I apply for any Modern Sporting Rifle Make. I know it's a restricted firearm and I already have the security needed and member of an authorised range.

For instance I like the HK and Daniel Defence Variations.

I know on here people have the R15, but does anybody else have a different Manufacturer?

Surely it shouldn't make a difference if they are the same calibre?

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The reason you see the R15 moreso than most other types is the "idon'tlikethelookofthat" rule.

The R15 was specifically designed to comply with not only laws in American states, but happily laws here regarding looks. While a completely idiotic law the SI states if a rifle resembles one that functions in a manner not allowed then it too can be refused simply on how it looks. Regardless of the mechanism.

Some have AKM (i think, so many variants), Steyr, SLR, etc. A couple of friends i shoot with have other brands such an Oberland and H&K. Both exceptional rifles. Both had them for years and years so no import or "new" licensing. Most lads with them won't sell, and to import would test your grit.

Remember that there are only 167 (at last count) centrefire semi auto rifles in the country. Not all are the "AR" variant with some using the Garand, and some using hunting orientated rifles like the Benelli R1.

Now having said all that if you're prepared to go the distance then yes you absolutely can apply for one and you already know the process (chief super, restricted, etc) so you're pretty much set on that front.

have you any idea what you'd like to go for?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fielder90

Cheers Cass,

Thanks for the reply!!! Oh great, so its not a point blank NO. I think I will go for the R15 ( but I cant stand the camo and front hand guard - I could get it dipped so maybe flat Earth). I am a late 80's baby so rightly/Wrongly I do favour the tacticool look for my sins.

I would love an m14 style rifle, or AR variant - heard the HK mr223 is illegal ..but cant see what the different is between that and the r15 apart from Aesthetics

i do like the OA-15 ​​DMR .223Rem. Oberland as you say it - do you know any dealers?

I wont lie, I am fairly ignorant to the semi auto rifles styles that don't come into the "idontlikethelookofthat" bracket. I am genuinely looking to get into a few competitions for it and maybe even compete abroad. Would chance my Arm with the 223 for hunting too if possible. Not fussed on Calibre really.

Would there be any fairly straightforward centre fires to license, or is it totally due to local AGS?

Really appreciate all the help and sorry for the questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Fielder90 wrote: »

Would there be any fairly straightforward centre fires to license, or is it totally due to local AGS?

Anything bolt action/single shot under .308. Any centrefire semi-auto and chances are you will be heading to court to get your cert.

Thanks Gunny,

Has anybody got some good tips for if it goes to court? Just looking to get as many ducks in a row.

Prob give my FO a call tomorrow and see what he says/Recommends.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Thanks for the reply!!! Oh great, so its not a point blank NO. I think I will go for the R15 ( but I cant stand the camo and front hand guard -
    I'm not trying to push you towards the R15, but dealers do get them in for ease of sale. If such a thing exists for semi autos.
    I would love an m14 style rifle, or AR variant - heard the HK mr223 is illegal ..but cant see what the different is between that and the r15 apart from Aesthetics
    As long as it's only semi auto and not full auto, then it's legal.

I had an RFD tell me recently that semi autos are illegal. This is someone ins the firearms trade and they don't know they are still legal. So take what you're told with a pinch of salt.
    i do like the OA-15 ​​DMR .223Rem. Oberland as you say it - do you know any dealers?
    Not in Ireland.
    I wont lie, I am fairly ignorant to the semi auto rifles styles that don't come into the "idontlikethelookofthat" bracket.
    Anything that is AR variant is basically the same thing. Doesn't matter about the brand, name, style, etc they all have the same basic functions.
    I am genuinely looking to get into a few competitions for it and maybe even compete abroad.
    The Bullseye 360 on this sAturday in the Modlands might be worth a visit. Few lads there shooting a few different types. no guarantee they'll all be there on Saturday but worth a looksee.
    Would chance my Arm with the 223 for hunting too if possible. Not fussed on Calibre really.
    It can be got for hunting, just another reason for your "good reason" in the application. As for calibre i've seen everything from 223 up to 308. So they are out there.
    As gunny123 said any bolt action would be "easier" but then again so would most firearms.

If you mean what semi auto then the R15 ticks the boxes again. Camo so for hunting, no "tacticool" stuff stuck on, not black, and not military looking.

I remember the Chief Super asking me "does it have any of that sh*t where you stick lights and lasers onto it"? He meant quad rail, etc. Once i told him no he was much happier. Having said that 95% of AR parts are interchangeable so you can take of the stock and foreguard and replace, then get it dipped and customise as you wish. nothing illegal about it.
    Ask away, the lads will help out when and where they can. Myself too.
    Has anybody got some good tips for if it goes to court? Just looking to get as many ducks in a row.
    Get any refusal in writing within 30 days or else an appeal cannot be lodged. Having said that don' even look down that route just yet.

Have a look around, go to a few ranges and check them out. See what you like and while it's hard try get over the "fun factor" of them. they have drawbacks. Not as accurate as bolt actions, ammo fussy at times, and they will chew through ammo at such a rate you'll consider selling a child to finance your shooting.
    Prob give my FO a call tomorrow and see what he says/Recommends.
    I wouldn't.

You are not a the "talk to the FO" point just yet. no point in giving a heads up and time to try and deter you before you apply. Best bet is to go look, if you find something put a small deposit on it, fill out the FCA1, get security, etc sorted, and then hand in the application.

Any questions your FO has, s/he can contact you to ask them.

Just how i would do it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

Well if I was going for a semi-auto centerfire rifle this is what I would get.
    But the money and time are not for it

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/m1a-socom-16/

AA9620ComingSoon_1200x3062.png

Hi clive!! Whats the cost of that?? Its a beauty!! Exactly what i would be looking for!!!

clivej wrote: »
    Well if I was going for a semi-auto centerfire rifle this is what I would get.
    But the money and time are not for it

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/m1a-socom-16/

AA9620ComingSoon_1200x3062.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

Hi clive!! Whats the cost of that?? Its a beauty!! Exactly what i would be looking for!!!

Id hazard a guess at north of €3.5k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

Springfield SOCOM 16 M14 still being made new AFAIK.

$1800 still in use today on sale in the US in loads of dealers, plenty of great reviews on that rifle. Also comes in a 'Tactical' version, but I like the one as shown.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SPRINGFIELD-MIA-SOCOM-CENTERFIRE-RIFLE/1954905.uts

Has a M1 Garand like action with 10 round box mag or top fed. Just read some reviews and start drooling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

You might get the Springfield a bit cheaper now they are being boycotted in America.

• Advertisement
Advertisement