Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Settling baby in crèche

Options
  • 10-06-2017 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Am dreading settling my 7 month old in crèche in the next two months before I go back to work as she's very attached to me. Any tips to make the transition easier for her?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Maybe leave her in there for small amounts of time and then longer and longer in the lead up to your start at work?

By the time you go back, she'll be used to her new surroundings and the people there?

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Does she have a special teddy? If not get one now and make sure it smells like you. My eldest used to sleep with a top of mine in crèche for the first little while and her own grobag. Left them in one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

We dropped our daughter off last month, she was also very attached. For the first week one of us would sit in the room with her for a few hours allowing her to get used to the surroundings, new people and other children, gradually building up the time over the week and introducing her to the breakfast routine. The second week, step out for 15 mins and gradually building up the time out of the room. Also introduced to someone else changing her nappy. Third week was introduction to lunch and taking a nap there. By the fourth week she was settled in and we would drop her off for the day, and she was no longer crying when dropped off in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

I have two girls in creche and had no problem settling either of them in. The second was especially attached to her mammy but we had no problems at all. First day was an hour spent playing in the room with us nearby. Second day was the same but with us setting out for half an hour to see how she got on. Third day was between 2 and 3 hours and it continued like that. By Friday she was in for most of the day, ate several means and even had a nap with the other babies. There were some tears when we came to collect them at home time but they were fine going in (new toys seemed to be a big draw!). They were both 9-10 months starting which probably made it a little bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

jester77 wrote: »
    We dropped our daughter off last month, she was also very attached. For the first week one of us would sit in the room with her for a few hours allowing her to get used to the surroundings, new people and other children, gradually building up the time over the week and introducing her to the breakfast routine. The second week, step out for 15 mins and gradually building up the time out of the room. Also introduced to someone else changing her nappy. Third week was introduction to lunch and taking a nap there. By the fourth week she was settled in and we would drop her off for the day, and she was no longer crying when dropped off in the morning.

Thats a good long settling in period. I'm sure mine is only a week I must suss them out again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

bp wrote: »
    Does she have a special teddy? If not get one now and make sure it smells like you. My eldest used to sleep with a top of mine in crèche for the first little while and her own grobag. Left them in one

I like that idea of the teddy thanks! I'm nearly getting teary now thinking about it but I'm sure it'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

If you're crafty, you could cut down one of your t-shirts (unwashed) and fit it to teddy, or maybe make a small cushion from it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Tears are ok.
    I was the one in a state-both my kids were fine. I didn't let them see that though!And time makes it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

Back to work next week full time so we're currently in the middle of this! He's 7mths next week but the longest I'd been away from him since he was born was 4hrs and was still exclusively breastfeeding so was convinced it'd be a nightmare. Our creche does a 2 week settling in period so he's been going for progressively longer stays the past ten days & is in today for 8 (!!) hours. Fingers crossed but managed to switch to formula ok & so far no real issues with creche, minor wobbly lip/crying the odd time when he sees me leaving but he loves having lots of different people to play with & other babies. He chats away like mad afterwards, almost like he's trying to tell you about his day. It's us that find it tough! Agree with all the advice so far, make sure they have a few toys/soother/blanket etc that's familiar to them. They are used to the parents needing reassurance as much as the baby so hopefully they'll support you as well through the transition. Best of luck, you'll both be fine :)

Advertisement