Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaning tree

Options
  • 10-06-2017 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

I planted this ornamental pear tree about 5 years ago. Over time it has leaned to one side. What are my options to try and straighten it?

http://rrumpj.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not a lot, I think. It is far too established to try and straighten it. If you hauled on it enough to disturb the roots it would not be stable, even if you brought in a machine (or an elephant :D ) you would haul it out of the ground before t would straighten.

It looks as though it is in something of a wind tunnel as the tree beside t has a bit of a slant too, and it is a bit odd that it continued growing at an angle, I would have expected it would have straightened itself up over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thanks for the info. I'll just leave it alone so. There does seem to be a wind tunnel between the houses alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It also looks a bit like a tree that has been growing towards the light. Was there previously a big tree where the swings are located now?

Lets say you waited for the winter, and then cut the top two thirds off, at a point where there is a strong side branch leaning the other way. It should survive and grow back more or less vertical overall, but with a slight "kick" in it remaining at that point where it was cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Yep I see a likely candidate branch there, just slightly above and to the right of the TV aerial on your neighbour's roof.
    I'm itching to get up there with a chainsaw now.*

* No, don't pm me, I'm not really going to do it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement