Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Men or Women, who has a harder life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

osarusan wrote: »
    It's me, I am the biggest victim of all. Nobody has it worse than me, why can't you all see that?

Get back in line buddy, I was here yesterday and I got stung by a nettle on me leg

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

pangbang wrote: »
    So what do you reckon then, one has to be worse than the other, no? Be a man about it! :P

On balance, I prefer being a man. For example, if a woman goes on a date with a man she doesn't know very well, her biggest worry is that she might get raped. If I go on a date with a woman I don't know very well, the worst thing that could happen (hypothetically) is that she somehow might not fancy me (probably a lesbian).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

I'll just leave a little pool of vomit over here. No one step in it, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭pangbang

Added a poll. This isn't a political question, or for anyone to get digs in, or for anyone to wax lyrical about idealism. Just a simple observation on life as it is today in Ireland.

In fact maybe I should have called the thread "would you prefer to be a man or woman, knowing the difficulties they face through your own experience"

.....except that would be a sh^^e title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Wibbs wrote: »
    The average Irish woman of today can expect to live longer, be better educated, be better paid(before children), have more societal safety nets, more medical research aimed at her, be less likely to be physically assaulted or murdered, less likely to be homeless, far less likely to die in accidents in work(or outside) and far less likely to die by her own hand. These are statistical facts for the average. Individuals differ widely, but take from all that what you will.

Esgetgraph_042413.jpg

You want to sum up the differences between men and women in virtually all areas in a nice bit of mathsie autism?

Variance and the the fatness of tales. Women are the blue line and men are the red line.

Men live in the extremes. Women live in the center. Intelligence, money, number of wans ye bum, take your pick.

That's what feminists or who have you get wrong about men all the time. They see the CEO of a big company, not the homeless guy passed out on the street say.

So to answer your question OP, the worst man has it worse than the worst women and the best man has it better than the best woman. The way society is structured, as said by Wibbs, the average man has it in my opinion, worse than the average women.

Modern society is ****ing nuts though.

koumi wrote: »
    I'll just leave a little pool of vomit over here. No one step in it, thanks.

Sounds like you have a very, very strong opinion here. When you bothered to post in the thread you must have forgotten to state that opinion.

Sounds like you have a very, very strong opinion here. When you bothered to post in the thread you must have forgotten to state that opinion.

you do realise that there are no women on the internet

Esgetgraph_042413.jpg

You want to sum up the differences between men and women in virtually all areas in a nice bit of mathsie autism?

Variance and the the fatness of tales. Women are the blue line and men are the red line.

Men live in the extremes. Women live in the center. Intelligence, money, number of wans ye bum, take your pick.

That's what feminists or who have you get wrong about men all the time. They see the CEO of a big company, not the homeless guy passed out on the street say.

That's what I was getting at in the OP. Men have higher highs and lower lows....But what is better, safe middle, or potential to go higher waged against dropping lower?

you do realise that there are no women on the internet

?

Is that some kind of Vulcan mind trick? Or a jedi death grip youre pulling here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I also know of a woman who is an alcoholic and her abusive husband tried to take all her money, she lost her job etc and is in a miserable situation.....and yet, I cant ever see her taking her life. Just a gut feeling, cant explain it.
    Are women stronger than men when it comes to major life issues? Are they too scared to go through it? Who knows, its just another weird series of unanswered questions in our tough harsh world.

I would very delicately say that women talk to each other about their problems. The coven of emotional support. I am a woman so I know this. They will also go to the GP regularly if anything crops up. They are not afraid to do this.

Men do not seem to open up as much.

What do you men think of this. Am I totally wrong or partially right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Omackeral wrote: »
    Wouldn't be hard, my dad's dead.

Your Dad beat his dad to death so!

I would very delicately say that women talk to each other about their problems. The coven of emotional support. I am a woman so I know this. They will also go to the GP regularly if anything crops up. They are not afraid to do this.

Men do not seem to open up as much.

What do you men think of this. Am I totally wrong or partially right?

Absolutely agree. I know a few men and if half their face was hanging off it would be a case of "mmhmhm, nevermind."

Its that whole solitary versus pack thing I mentioned at the start.

That's what I was getting at in the OP. Men have higher highs and lower lows....But what is better, safe middle, or potential to go higher waged against dropping lower?

There's no right answer, though I think women are more risk averse and tend towards the middle (go along to get along) whereas men are bigger risk takers; which of course can lead you to the top of a field or to completely crash and burn.

Though if you want to get into Star Trek levels of autism here, you want to take risks which are distributed like the graph on the left, rather than the right:

antifragile.jpg

Though it be different for every lad I suppose.

There's no right answer, though I think women are more risk averse and tend towards the middle (go along to get along) whereas men are bigger risk takers; which of course can lead you to the top of a field or to completely crash and burn.

Though if you want to get into Star Trek levels of autism here, you want to take risks which are distributed like the graph on the left, rather than the right:

antifragile.jpg

The plot of life choices!

That's the thing with saying "different for every lad I suppose" or some such. Its not really a choice at all as laid out by society.

Again I'll use the gang attack thing, the bloke being set upon CANT make any choice in being attacked or not.

He CAN make personal decisions as to what to DO against the attack, but he cant stop it from occurring in the first place.

And that gets to the bones of my question, its nothing to do with individuality. You, as a man or woman, are going to be put into situations BECAUSE you are a man or a woman. Individualism comes after the fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Haven't a clue really and I won't find the answer here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

You have got to be kidding OP? This is even a question?? I sweat bricks day in and day out, she wanders around in a waft of Chanel and BT. Harder? Herself doesn't know what hard even looks like. Never mind harder. Jesus wept.

antifragile.jpg

Those two graph yokes side by side there, look like a fantastic arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Beyondgone wrote: »
    You have got to be kidding OP? This is even a question?? I sweat bricks day in and day out, she wanders around in a waft of Chanel and BT. Harder? Herself doesn't know what hard even looks like. Never mind harder. Jesus wept.

Hmm my mother has a comparatively easy in life in comparison to my father like this too and it always skews my opinion a bit of which gender have easier lives haha, but important to be objective. This isn't as common anymore, and women in the workforce is ever growing

Arghus wrote: »
    Haven't a clue really and I won't find the answer here.

You've literally never made an observation in your life? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

_Brian wrote: »
    It's a typical juvenile AH question expecting an A or B answer to a hugely complex topic.

+1

Any kind of battle of the sexes topic makes me bored and weary to the point of tears almost.

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    Hmm my mother has a comparatively easy in life in comparison to my father like this too and it always skews my opinion a bit of which gender have easier lives haha, but important to be objective. This isn't as common anymore, and women in the workforce is ever growing

Yeah, growing. But they never have to climb up onto the roof and weld the bloody eaves. Or run a sandblaster.. It's Office and IT work. Not out in the rain getting set on fire by a blazing gas torch. That's "mans work". :rolleyes: How come it's always "we want equality!" on the nice jobs, but never "we want equality!" when it comes to emptying the septic tank?

Denial couched with tears. Great avoidance there.

Murrisk wrote: »
    +1

Any kind of battle of the sexes topic makes me bored and weary to the point of tears almost.

And yet here you are, in floods of tears, still struggling to get the message posted.

I edited the first post, and you'll see that its nothing remotely close to a battle. Its simple observation.

Or maybe youre blind to the world around you and see no difference? Popular thing these days alright.

buried wrote: »
    Those two graph yokes side by side there, look like a fantastic arse
    giphy.gif

Yeah, growing. But they never have to climb up onto the roof and weld the bloody eaves. Or run a sandblaster.. It's Office and IT work. Not out in the rain getting set on fire by a blazing gas torch. That's "mans work". :rolleyes: How come it's always "we want equality!" on the nice jobs, but never "we want equality!" when it comes to emptying the septic tank?

I would say that women would be laughed at if they applied for such jobs.

Think about it. :eek:

Herself doesn't know what hard even looks like.
    :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

January wrote: »
    Women.

On periods and childbirth alone, let's not get into the inequalities in the workplace etc.

Women have it harder.

Certain birth control measures will prevent both if it's that bad. Next.

Lol @ inequality in the work place. Absolutely clueless. Head down to the sewers and put in a shift and then we'll talk about inequality in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I think women have an advantage in the dating game. Men are at there mercy.

Men have it much easier as they don't have to give birth etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I would say that women would be laughed at if they applied for such jobs.

Think about it. :eek:

I know a female welder. I worked in a completely male dominated industry and got paid less then men for the same work. Women are based on their looks, nobody ever says wow well done only nice tits or some crap like that. Men have better friends than women. I could go on but couldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

But that's the thing - all observations are going to be based on each individuals perception and perspective, and if something doesn't suit their argument in an Irish context, sure there's always Saudi Arabia...

Basically there can be all sorts of comparisons made using all sorts of criteria, but being either of both genders will have their advantages and disadvantages depending entirely upon context.

• Advertisement

Burial. wrote: »
    Certain birth control measures will prevent both if it's that bad. Next.

Lol @ inequality in the work place. Absolutely clueless. Head down to the sewers and put in a shift and then we'll talk about inequality in work.

Theres a reason the turtles were all blokes! Hanging around with a rat no less

:P

Oh she knows what it means when it comes to willys.. but that's about the height of it. Her idea of hard is the Hairdresser only having time for highlights on a Wednesday, and she wants them Tuesday.. My idea of hairdressers is squeezing in any old sort of cut in a lunchbreak that hasn't gone by the wayside. Most of my mates women are the same. Some poor deluded fool sang "It's a mans world!" He was an eejit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Oh sure, but I don't think any of us are unbiased enough to come to any sort of objective conclusion - so why add to the noise?

I'm a man. I think I know a bit about women, but do I know anything about actually being a woman and what that's like - well, no, not really. Do any of us know what it's really like to be the opposite gender? Are we in a position to answer this question? I sincerely doubt it.

And if there's one place you can be cast iron gauranteed to not find a conclusive answer, it's After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Yeah, growing. But they never have to climb up onto the roof and weld the bloody eaves. Or run a sandblaster.. It's Office and IT work.

Cleaning, being a care assistant, catering - all tough jobs mostly filled by women. There are many more, I'm sure.

I did a few cleaning jobs while studying for my postgrad dip. It was full-on tiring work. Doing it full-time for a living would not be easy.

Why is it only thought that only men do tough, thankless jobs?
    And yet here you are, in floods of tears, still struggling to get the message posted.

What a blindingly original response. You should bottle whatever it is you have going on there.

Oh she knows what it means when it comes to willys.. but that's about the height of it. Her idea of hard is the Hairdresser only having time for highlights on a Wednesday, and she wants them Tuesday.. My idea of hairdressers is squeezing in any old sort of cut in a lunchbreak that hasn't gone by the wayside. Most of my mates women are the same. Some poor deluded fool sang "It's a mans world!" He was an eejit.

Not all women are like that.

eejits for sure. would be better if they married plumbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Good point. Herself would never ever empty the bins as that's "my job". Imagine if I said the same about emptying the dish washer!!

I know a female welder. I worked in a completely male dominated industry and got paid less then men for the same work. Women are based on their looks, nobody ever says wow well done only nice tits or some crap like that. Men have better friends than women. I could go on but couldn't be bothered.

Simply not true, in the field of architecture at least..but from an outside view of other professions it doesn't seem true either. Maybe there is a small element of that, womens looks are considered more than mens int he workplace. but you completely overexaggerated it

Simply not true, in the field of architecture at least..but from an outside view of other professions it doesn't seem true either. Maybe there is a small element of that, womens looks are considered more than mens int he workplace. but you completely overexaggerated it

Not in my experience. I'd be in work creating menus and all the chefs would be oh what bra are you wearing, where will you stick that cucumber. Nobody ever said nice job or anything. So yeah.

• Advertisement

But that's the thing - all observations are going to be based on each individuals perception and perspective, and if something doesn't suit their argument in an Irish context, sure there's always Saudi Arabia...

Basically there can be all sorts of comparisons made using all sorts of criteria, but being either of both genders will have their advantages and disadvantages depending entirely upon context.

Well Yeah. And unless theres some divine blessing on the planet, that the odds of an average mans life versus an average womans life being absolutely balanced....

then on the balance of things, one is surely harder than the other. Yes, there are so many variables specific to each sex, and it is precisely that reason why they are unlikely to be equal.

One will be harder than the other. Its just asking for simple observation.

If I asked you "do you like THIS brand of coffee or THAT brand of coffee?", I don't want to hear the history of coffee plantations, the subtleties of soil difference, the effect of bat droppings on the growing season and that therefore you cant answer.

You can just state an opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I work in a male dominated industry. I'm better paid than most men with the same experience. I got a promotion quite quickly. I get praised regularly for my work (though I do have great tits). I have the best friends in the world.

I've also had it very fcuking tough, but I am simply an anecdote from which no conclusions could be drawn.

I work in a male dominated industry. I'm better paid than most men with the same experience. I got a promotion quite quickly. I get praised regularly for my work (though I do have great tits). I have the best friends in the world.

I've also had it very fcuking tough, but I am simply an anecdote from which no conclusions could be drawn.

Sounds like we just had different experiences and different industries. To be fair I think some of the time they could have been trying to tease me and I took it the wrong way but I definitely could have got paid more in one or two of those jobs which is why I moved to the restaurant business instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Education and contraception have improved female opportunity and living standards, but to even suggest women somehow have it easier in life than men is absurd, and frankly probably more a reaction to perceived political correctness targeting men in modern life, than a truthful and objective analysis of the actual question. Woman is the n;gger of the world.

Sounds like we just had different experiences and different industries. To be fair I think some of the time they could have been trying to tease me and I took it the wrong way but I definitely could have got paid more in one or two of those jobs which is why I moved to the restaurant business instead.

From experience, bad move. Restaurants = Hard. You don't know what hard is till you've been backstage in a restaurant. I dipped in, saw, and left, rapido. That's manly sh1t right there. Too manly for me. I prefer just averagely manly hard. Like welding.

Not in my experience. I'd be in work creating menus and all the chefs would be oh what bra are you wearing, where will you stick that cucumber. Nobody ever said nice job or anything. So yeah.

Well I'm sorry you had that experience, that must be very demotivating . I think it'd kill me a bit. But its just not the same in every profession, it definitely doesn't happen in architecture as I regularly see female colleagues being praised for work similarly as males and Ive never heard any complain about objectification of physical appearance. I dont know why it would occur more in culinary profession that for instance building trade

• Advertisement

This argument of gaining Money through a career means f**k all. You could have the greatest pay cheque known to humanity, be lauded as the greatest business man or woman known throughout the globe and then be tomorrow be told you've got 2 months to live where no amount of money, or career choice, or how great a business person you are can make a f**k all bit of difference. Life is hard for everything. There is no hierarchy of victimhood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭SGSM

Is that indicative of men having it harder? I don't know. It could just as easily show poorer coping skills...

Seriously? Cop on.

Arghus wrote: »
    Oh sure, but I don't think any of us are unbiased enough to come to any sort of objective conclusion - so why add to the noise?

I'm a man. I think I know a bit about women, but do I know anything about actually being a woman and what that's like - well, no, not really. Do any of us know what it's really like to be the opposite gender? Are we in a position to answer this question? I sincerely doubt it.

And if there's one place you can be cast iron gauranteed to not find a conclusive answer, it's After Hours.

Agree with the after hours. But its not difficult, surely, to at least IMAGINE situations that are completely different for men and women, even if you have no life experiences. And it cant be too difficult to run a bunch through your head and come to a conclusion that "yeah, those situations would be harder for a woman" or vice versa. I'll do it for you....

Hot situation, snap decision needed: You land in the capital of Yubombo, need to get a job because you have no money. Taking a shortcut through an alley, you run face to face with 46 of the toughest nuts outside of Millwall, all riled up because president Lap-a-lap just got ousted from government for stealing too many cigars.

Now! Are you gonna get out of that situation easier as a man or a woman?

See? Its not hard to come up with realistic situations.

Well I'm sorry you had that experience, that must be very demotivating . I think it'd kill me a bit. But its just not the same in every profession, it definitely doesn't happen in architecture as I regularly see female colleagues being praised for work similarly as males and Ive never heard any complain about objectification of physical appearance. I dont know why it would occur more in culinary profession that for instance building trade

They never commented on the other women's looks either. I think they were goading me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭SGSM

Tbh ridiculous thread and will only cause a fight between a lot of men and women.

• Advertisement
Advertisement