Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buttermilk plant.

• 10-06-2017 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here who does a lot of baking use a Buttermilk plant?

Looking for one, but finding it hard to source.
    We had one when I was a child, but if you dont keep feeding it fresh milk it will die.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Anyone here who does a lot of baking use a Buttermilk plant?

Looking for one, but finding it hard to source.
    We had one when I was a child, but if you dont keep feeding it fresh milk it will die.

For a moment I wondered if that was related to the infamous spaghetti tree.
    But then I googled it - it's not too dissimilar to a sourdough, is it?
    I never had the patience, I admit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The one we had looked like a lump of cauliflower head. We were milking cows at the time so there was lots of fresh milk available.
    It would easily allow you have enough buttermilk to make a couple of soda or brown loaves every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Not a buttermilk plant, but I make my own yogurt and strain it to make really thick Greek yogurt. The remaining whey is brilliant for anything you'd use buttermilk for: bread, scones, pastry etc. It keeps in the fridge for weeks so I always have some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Instructions on how to make one are in Irish Traditional Cooking by Darina Allen, in https://www.amazon.co.uk/Irish-Traditional-Cooking-Irelands-Heritage/dp/0857830333

I had a go out of curiousity a couple of summers ago and it worked perfectly well over several weeks. I just don't need to make soda bread every day so I didn't keep it going once I had satisfied my curiousity. I started with regular pasteurised cultured buttermilk to get it going. I added some raw milk after about ten days and it took off! There was a marked improvement in its activity with the raw milk.

However (before you all go mad with the raw milk worries) I would like to add that I got the raw milk from my neighbour's dairy farm. I know him to be a really good farmer with healthy and well-minded cows and a spotless dairy so I was happy to use it for myself. I have enough animal and microbiology knowledge to be aware of the potential risks so it was a judgement call I was happy to make for myself, plus I grew up on a farm, drank raw milk as a child and still enjoy it.

The milk plant worked fine with the pasteurised starter anyway, it was just a lot more active with the live cow cultures in it.

Advertisement