Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absurd infraction in Train and Rail Systems

Options
  • 10-06-2017 11:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

Hi. A mod calling himself "Monument" has given me an infraction for "discussing how to break the law". The thread was discussing anti-social behaviour on trains, and how there are no staff to deal with it. Here is what I wrote:

"We should organise a secret vigilante group. Just a random gang of us, minding our own business on whatever train is most troublesome, as if we didnt know each other. Wait for trouble to kick off, then hammer the living sh1te out of the scumbags. Send them a message that their sh1te wont be tolerated anymore.

Then just get off the train and disappear.........."

And here is what the mod wrote:

"Discussing how to break the law, including taking the law into your own hands, is not allowed."

Now, obviously...... (I'm struggling with the fact that I have to state this, but) obviously, I did not mean this in earnest. Anyone with a modicum of cop-on at all will realise this at first glance.

And just in case they don't, the social cues are the comedic use of the words "secret" and "random" in an otherwise dead-pan post, and the Franklin W. Dixon style trailing final sentence in a paragraph of its own. Note also the lack of "PM me" or any sort of proposed organisational activity.

Now, if I did overstep some imaginary line, the appropriate response would be something along the lines of *bold writing* "Now now me_right_one, we'd all love to, but ya cant be writing that sort of stuff on here haha" - and that would be that. Instead, my post was deleted, AND I got an infraction.

I PM'd the moderator. 6 hours ago now at this stage. And I have received no response whatsoever, so I take it that the decision is being upheld. Here is what I sent:

"Hi monument. I realise you are only doing your job, but I believe that you and I both know this was not a serious post. Please lift the infraction - MRO"

Now, I can give this guy the benefit of the doubt and accept he may have been having a bad day - it happens to us all, and the sense of humour is usually the first casualty. But for the sake of appropriate justice measures, for the sake of Boards's reputation, and for the sake of self-respect and human dignity, I am pleading with you to please lift that ludicrous, absurd infraction, which is a completely OTT reaction to my post. Ideally, I would like to see my post resurrected, I'll even add a smiley face for the humorously challenged to leave no doubt whatsoever that I wasn't serious, but I daren't hope. Please just lift the infraction - MRO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thank you for contacting the mod to discuss. I recommend giving the mod some time to react and respond. If that does not happen within a day or so, please return here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Hi Dudara. Thank you for your response.

I contacted the mod again to prompt him. Here is his reply:

Hi,

I don't see where the joke is, so, the infraction stands.

Regards,

monument

So. Here we are in the dispute res forum. I have expressed my views on the matter, and the mod in question has expressed his. What happens now?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We move onto the next step in the process whereby a CMod will review the decision. I'll inform them now that this DRP needs their attention.

Ok, thanks Dudura

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I'll have a look at this shortly.

• Advertisement

Ok. Thank you Tricky D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I've had a good look and think over this.

As the author of the joke it might be obvious to you but it might not be quite so obvious to others, as it is easy to miss the nuances you wrote and perceive it as some sort of vigilante call to arms. Is that alone worthy of a sanction? Probably not.

However, you have a fine history of trolling on boards and the post in question could easily provoke the kind of reaction which we don't need. So there is an element of trolling.

But the clincher is the note from 6 months ago stickied in the parent forum [ http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057694633 ] which requires a much higher standard of posting then was previously allowed. Your post falls short of that.

With the above in mind, I am upholding the sanction.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Poster is permanently sitebanned.

Closed.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement