Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow gap..WARNING

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Frustration will do that to ya ;)

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

Hodge32 wrote: »
    Another smart arse! Must be the bad weather keeping them all indoors!!

nothing smartarse about it. you started it with your smarmy attitude.

look up the statute book as you seem to need to aquaint yourself with the law's of the road on this matter (see below);

SI No. 182 of 1997, s. 47 - (1)]

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

bladespin wrote: »
    Frustration will do that to ya ;)

Another childish / imbecilic observation which seems to make up the general trend on this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Hodge32

To those who don't have their head stuck up their arse... Here's a shot from the RSA website....
    Under Article 47 of the 1997 Regulations (as substituted by the 2012 Regulations), you must not cycle more than 2 abreast, except when overtaking and it does not endanger or obstruct other traffic. You can overtake a vehicle on the left where the vehicles to your right are stationary or are moving slower than you, except when the vehicle to be overtaken:

However, this is apparently under discussion due the huge advertising campaign to respect cyclists and 1.5M when passing. Now a new issue has arose. If cyclists are two abreast and motorists must give 1.5M space, how will motorists pass safely? The back road I live on is only 4.5M. There's a couple of real clever boys in this thread, so I'll let them do the calculations!!!

Granolite wrote: »
    Another childish / imbecilic observation which seems to make up the general trend on this thread...

No hold on a minute there joeblow before you turn another from a supporter into a hater, enough with the heavy arse attitude, it's smarmy attitudes like that that causes the divide.

• Advertisement

Then don't make such dissy comments that indirectly jeopardise people's safety on the roads by supporting dangerous presumption's that cyclist's are not entitled to road space / right to travel two abreast.

Granolite wrote: »
    Then don't make such dissy comments that indirectly jeopardise people's safety on the roads by supporting dangerous presumption's that cyclist's are not entitled to road space / right to travel two abreast.

Whoah there, what comment of mine indirectly jeopardized anyone's safety?

Everyone's entitled to their space, but your highandmightiness isn't really making me want to share the love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

the absolute state of the post you're siding with granolite. Calling people 'dopey knackers' then you're getting bent out of shape over something someone replied to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

However, this is apparently under discussion due the huge advertising campaign to respect cyclists and 1.5M when passing. Now a new issue has arose. If cyclists are two abreast and motorists must give 1.5M space, how will motorists pass safely? The back road I live on is only 4.5M. There's a couple of real clever boys in this thread, so I'll let them do the calculations!!!

Eh, you do the same as any other overtake. You wait for a safe place to pass when there is no oncoming and you cross to the other side of the road to overtake. Do you really need someone to spell out the basics of overtaking for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Probably from the Rules of the Road. Give it a read sometime.

It's actually law as well, been on the statute books for over 50 years now. Surprised how many road users don't understand this.

• Advertisement

Maths not your strong suit eh? - 2 bicycles take up appox 2 metres + 1.5M clearance. That leaves 1m or a little more... Not a lot of room in an average size car?
    Anyway, you cycle as many abreast as you want, our group will continue to go single file as on back roads it's safer for everyone.

Law, feck. I didn't realise that. thanks for pointing it out though.
    It's also law, to drive at 80kmph on most back roads... That doesn't mean you HAVE to do it....

fcuk that I love jumping the little hump back bridges on 80km/h roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

grahambo wrote: »
    Cyclists are without a doubt the biggest Hazard on the road.

They show absolutely no awareness to whats around them.

When there's a large bunch if them together holding up traffic people get fed up being behind them and take stupid chances to get past.

Just two of many "beautiful" incidents that I caught on the helmet cam today. (apologies for the language)

Cyclist just moves out into centre of road for no reason without looking:
    https://youtu.be/szZF-Yvrx4E

Moron runs another car off the road trying to get past a murder of cyclists
    https://youtu.be/snuj6dsRtxw

Generalize much? The "incidents" you caught on camera say more about your understanding of how to use the road more than anything else.

You blame cyclists automatically because they are cyclists, nothing else. You hate cyclists and this blinkered view is just silly.
    Yep,when they blatantly cycle through all those red lights that everyone else stops for.

What roads are you on? Are you purposely ignoring other road users breaking the rules or what?
    Cyclists have "a right to cycle two abreast" Where did you pull that one from as a matter of interest?

The law ;)
    Another smart arse! Must be the bad weather keeping them all indoors!!

What's with the hostility towards cyclists?

The generalizations in here are just idiotic. Especially coming from another group of road users who are also very vulnerable.

lock the thread the hive mind is coming to ignore positive posts like mine and try their hardest to find yet more people to dislike them

Maths not your strong suit eh? - 2 bicycles take up appox 2 metres + 1.5M clearance. That leaves 1m or a little more... Not a lot of room in an average size car?
    Anyway, you cycle as many abreast as you want, our group will continue to go single file as on back roads it's safer for everyone.

Your lack of knowledge on the subject is evidently lacking.

2 abreast is safer than single file. There is nothing to discuss on that topic at all. Google it if you need.
    Law, feck. I didn't realise that. thanks for pointing it out though.
    It's also law, to drive at 80kmph on most back roads... That doesn't mean you HAVE to do it....

It's not law to drive at 80Kmph, it's law to drive NO MORE than 80Kmph. There is quite a difference. You're lack of understanding on how to use/share the road is very alarming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Big THANKS and respect to the Motor Cyclist who braked hard and swung into the hedge at Killoughter.

I was cycling in a small single file group when another group of cyclists decided to overtake us approaching the T junction when the motor cyclist turned left. Excellent reaction and control, patience and road manners. Gob****es will be Gob****es and its good to see responsible and skilled road users are still out there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Like I said, you wait for a safe place to overtake. If there isn't room to overtake safely, you wait - just like any other overtake. It happens all the time on urban and rural roads that drivers get stuck behind bikes, or bikes get stuck behind drivers. Unless you have your own private road, you need to get used to this sharing lark.

This instructional image might help you to understand;
    InstructionalImage
    Anne Doyle will explain to you why you're wrong. I mean, it's Anne Doyle FFS. Who argues with Anne Doyle?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cycling two abreast is not illegal - it's just a dick move to do it with absolutely no regard for holding up the traffic behind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...It's not law to drive at 80Kmph, it's law to drive NO MORE than 80Kmph. There is quite a difference. ..

Theres also this...
    A vehicle must not be driven at a speed exceeding that which will enable its driver to bring it to a halt within a distance the driver can see to be clear.

This section describes the rules for keeping pace in traffic and the speed limits that apply on different types of road and to different vehicles.

As a driver, you must always be aware of your speed and judge the appropriate speed for your vehicle, taking into account:
    • driving conditions;
    • other users of the road;
    • current weather conditions;
    • all possible hazards;
    • and speed limits.

Driving conditions relate to the volume of traffic around you and the quality of the road.

Other users of the road include motorcyclists, cyclists, pedestrians, school children, animals and all others you, as a driver, should expect to see on the road.

Possible hazards include anything you can see that could give rise to an emergency, such as oncoming traffic if you are turning onto a major road.

They also include anything you cannot yet see and anything you can reasonably expect to happen, such as a pedestrian walking onto the road in front of you, a child running onto the road between parked cars, or animals on the roadway.

It includes your own physical and mental state while driving (for example whether you are stressed or tired) and the condition of your vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Zascar wrote: »
    Cycling two abreast is not illegal - it's just a dick move to do it with absolutely no regard for holding up the traffic behind you.

If that's why they are doing it then yes. No time for that. Got very common.

But even a single cyclist might take center road position to hold up traffic behind them, say for turning right, or stop people turning left across them approaching a junction. Or the road is too narrow and its to block people squeezing them.

Nobody cycles two abreast to be a díck. It's a really odd statement to make, as you presumably understand how important road positioning is as a vulnerable road user. To criticize another road user for doing same, is quite ironic.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've no problem with them cycling properly to keep safe. But if there are just two cyclists on a small windy road with oncoming traffic - often its very hard to overtake in a car when two of them are taking up half the road. If they were in single file for a minute you could overtake - but too many times I've been stuck behind for 10 mins as there is no opportunity to pass. It annoys me. I cycle myself sometimes and I don't want to be a burden to anyone. Sometimes you see cyclists who just don't give a fuk - that's not how the roads should work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's not law to drive at 80Kmph, it's law to drive NO MORE than 80Kmph. There is quite a difference. You're lack of understanding on how to use/share the road is very alarming.

I wonder how many of the motorbikers that do the weekend Wicklow Gap Moto tt were sticking to the speed limit here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You fail spectacularly as to the understanding of basic road craft.
    I've no problem with them cycling properly to keep safe. But if there are just two cyclists on a small windy road with oncoming traffic - often its very hard to overtake in a car when two of them are taking up half the road.

Why would you want to overtake into oncoming traffic? They're preventing you from becoming a cropper to a head on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Hey Stewie..i'm making another batch of popcorn, you in..??.................:D

I've no problem with them cycling properly to keep safe. But if there are just two cyclists on a small windy road with oncoming traffic...

Why would you overtake in this situation?
    often its very hard to overtake in a car when two of them are taking up half the road. If they were in single file for a minute you could overtake

As per your opening sentence, you couldn't overtake safely if they were in single file.

but too many times I've been stuck behind for 10 mins as there is no opportunity to pass. It annoys me. I cycle myself sometimes and I don't want to be a burden to anyone. Sometimes you see cyclists who just don't give a fuk - that's not how the roads should work.

Getting annoyed doesn't fix anything, it's only making matters worse.

The roads are filled with people who just don't give a fuk, the mode of transport does not influence this behavior.

I'm going out for a spin now, will let you know after if there was any trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

The roads are filled with people who just don't give a fuk, the mode of transport does not influence this behavior.

One of these types of threads had a post that went on the lines:
    " Just don't be a Dick on the roads" and despite my many years driving and cycling I thought nail on the head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I was up Sally Gap yesterday. Four of us cycling two abreast towards Lough Bray to give ourselves safe space and try stop dangerous and speedy overtaking especially with it being so windy (often by rental cars that aren't familiar with the road).

Four motorcyclists approach from behind. The lead guy slowed as he approached us, giving us time to get into single file (often this is a problem), They overtook safely in single file. Friendly beep and some waving to say thanks from all. He was happy that we moved into single file, we were happy that he gave us time and room to do so. Happy story. No 'us' versus 'them'.

Best of luck with the b*tching lads. It's too early in the week for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement