Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow gap..WARNING

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

mal1 wrote: »

Four motorcyclists approach from behind. The lead guy slowed as he approached us, giving us time to get into single file (often this is a problem), They overtook safely in single file. Friendly beep and some waving to say thanks from all. He was happy that we moved into single file, we were happy that he gave us time and room to do so. Happy story. No 'us' versus 'them'.

Best of luck with the b*tching lads. It's too early in the week for me.

This is the craic, live and let live, can't get my head around the us and them approach, especially considering we have a shared enemy - cagers ;)

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Zascar wrote: »
    Cycling two abreast is not illegal - it's just a dick move to do it with absolutely no regard for holding up the traffic behind you.

Awww. You didn't watch Anne Doyle :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the motorbikers that do the weekend Wicklow Gap Moto tt were sticking to the speed limit here?

With maneuvers like the one below, their luck will not last. Complete disregard to every other road user.

http://imgur.com/h2bbx4e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Head impact if that car either didn't have the sense to go over the white line on their side and into the verge, or there was simply nowhere for the car to go to prevent the accident. And that screen grab is from what, 40/50 seconds into the video?

Now of course we're not going to paint all motorcyclists as clowns like those in the video, like the OP, and many posters, have done with cyclists in this thread, are we?

h2bbx4e.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Awww. You didn't watch Anne Doyle :(
    It's Anne Doyle FFS.
    Zascar wrote: »
    I've no problem with them cycling properly to keep safe. But if there are just two cyclists on a small windy road with oncoming traffic - often its very hard to overtake in a car when two of them are taking up half the road. If they were in single file for a minute you could overtake - but too many times I've been stuck behind for 10 mins as there is no opportunity to pass. It annoys me. I cycle myself sometimes and I don't want to be a burden to anyone. Sometimes you see cyclists who just don't give a fuk - that's not how the roads should work.

Really? 10 minutes? In my experience, it is bad luck to be stuck behind somebody for 10 seconds. On rare occasions, it might just get to 30 or 60 seconds. But 10 minutes? Could there be a slight exaggeration here?

BTW, using the road does not make anyone a 'burden' to anyone. All the many cars that blocked me and held me up on my cycle to work this morning were not a 'burden'. They're just other people using the road, people with the same rights and entitlements as me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It's Anne Doyle FFS.

Really? 10 minutes? In my experience, it is bad luck to be stuck behind somebody for 10 seconds. On rare occasions, it might just get to 30 or 60 seconds. But 10 minutes? Could there be a slight exaggeration here?

BTW, using the road does not make anyone a 'burden' to anyone. All the many cars that blocked me and held me up on my cycle to work this morning were not a 'burden'. They're just other people using the road, people with the same rights and entitlements as me.

Could only be on a tiny road.

Be the same if they met a tractor etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Now of course we're not going to paint all motorcyclists as clowns like those in the video, like the OP, and many posters, have done in with cyclists in this thread, are we?

Never heard it said cyclists have a monopoly on stoopid :rolleyes:
    You'll find examples of good and bad in every method of transport, unfortunately those of us on 2 wheels are particularly photogenic :cool:

/also, that's a pretty old vid tbh, there's an RD350 in there.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Smoothrider

As I mentioned originally, we are talking about rights here. If I want to cycle up the road alongside another cyclist, probably talking ****e, then that is my (our) prerogative and right. If you have a problem with a fellow citizen and road user exercising this particular right then you have a problem with the world you're in, and are probably a huffy little brat who throws a looper fit for being briefly inconvenienced at any stage of your life's trajectory. (A very common and unfortunate disease of the modern age.)

I say this as a car driver, motorcyclist and cyclist. The lad who said that it just distilled down to not being a dick was right. Cool your clogs and chill the **** out. If you do not or cannot do this then you are, as I say, a dopey knacker, and simply don't realise it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

As I mentioned originally, we are talking about rights here. If I want to cycle up the road alongside another cyclist, probably talking ****e, then that is my (our) prerogative and right. If you have a problem with a fellow citizen and road user exercising this particular right then you have a problem with the world you're in, and are probably a huffy little brat who throws a looper fit for being briefly inconvenienced at any stage of your life's trajectory. (A very common and unfortunate disease of the modern age.)

I say this as a car driver, motorcyclist and cyclist. The lad who said that it just distilled down to not being a dick was right. Cool your clogs and chill the **** out. If you do not or cannot do this then you are, as I say, a dopey knacker, and simply don't realise it yet.
    Cyclists, as we are so often reminded, are classified as "vehicles" on the roads. They are entitled in law to cycle 2 abreast but as case law has shown, they are NOT entitled to act as slow moving vehicles causing traffic build up behind them. They have a duty to pull over and allow traffic to get by - but some "dopey knackers" simply don't realise that yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

beauf wrote: »
    Could only be on a tiny road.

Be the same if they met a tractor etc.

I should add that only some tractors will pull over for you. Ditto cyclists. Ditto cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Cyclists, as we are so often reminded, are classified as "vehicles" on the roads. They are entitled in law to cycle 2 abreast but as case law has shown, they are NOT entitled to act as slow moving vehicles causing traffic build up behind them. They have a duty to pull over and allow traffic to get by - but some "dopey knackers" simply don't realise that yet!

Any examples of court cases or laws to back up your point? I know of an instance with a tractor but that involved a multi kilometre tail back. But never anything to specifically with cycling.

Its also quicker on most roads bar roads that are effectively single track to pass out cyclists that are 2 abreast than single file. It reduces the time spent on the opposite side of the road. Something that would have to be done regardless.

Also don't get this thread in this forum. Motorbikes are essential to the safe running of many cycling events and at least from that perspective the relationship is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

just home now very wet, only wore the waterproof top thought I'd get away with just my textile pants not the lower half of my rain suit, a bad call
    One cyclist out, a child out on his own who did a life saver and saw the car in front of me approaching before moving in to the left and the car made a better effort than most in moving into the other lane to overtake him, there was also a woman walking along the road and I slowed down, she walked out into the road and picked up a metal sign which had blown onto the road, and she then stepped in and then we both waved at each other as I went past, it was lovely.

the only issue I had was when a woman swerved out into my path while I was in the other lane waiting to overtake her when I got a good enough view up the road. To be fair it's very hard to notice a loud motorbike directly in your right wing mirror with it's indicator on while it's at 8k revs in second gear.. and she really did want to drive around rather than over the black silage wrap which must have blown off one of those death machines tractors with questionably tied down loads.

But anyway don't let stuff like that get in the way of the real issues on our roads - that now apparently motorbikes and bicycles don't get along with eachother. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Smoothrider

What 'caselaw'?

I've been driving cars, motor bikes and bicycles for over 30 years (all three) and the problem is one of attitude, or more precisely 'bad attitude'. If I am out cycling two abreast on a narrow road and I can hear that we are impeding the progress of a motor vehicle behind then I would always single out. However, if I am in the car, and the two cyclists in front of me don't single out then I simply wait until it's safe to overtake. I don't beep at them or curse at them or close pass and cut in on them. People just need to cool out and get a bit of perspective of things. We live in Ireland, not New York City ffs. We have herds of cows, sheep, donkeys and carts, tinkers in trailers and yes, we have herds of cyclists, all of whom share the road with motor vehicles. If you can't deal with it and act like a mature person then **** off to NYC and get shot in a road rage incident with a pedal bike courier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    It's the feckers who go around randomly in groups of 5 thinking they're in the fecking peloton in the tour de fecking Artane.
    How did you know what they were thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Red means Go

Here,you hit me with your car,you hit me so you did,you hit me on my little old bike and Im a defenseless person against your big car....you hit me so you did..:pac::rolleyes:

Its shockin Joe.................:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

grahambo wrote: »
    Cyclists are without a doubt the biggest Hazard on the road.
    Don't talk soft. :rolleyes:

cajonlardo wrote: »
    You did see that guy's youtube channel has the exact same videos featuring motor cyclists, cars, rollerskating pregnant grannies.....

The problem with alot of cyclists is that they they think the world owes them something.

Everyone breaks the law and everyone breaks the rules of the road.Cyclists too.Even professional drivers too.

And if you say you dont,then you are lieing through your teeth.

Wonder if all the motorbikers allowed to jump in on the cycling forum and blitz that out of it??

Rickshaws....the scurge of society in Dublin.

Dangerous as feck too.someone will die in one of them contraptions soon.

• Advertisement

Oh and with regards to the Wicklow Gap....I say this to motorbikers and cyclists too.

Watch out for that nutjob in the Grey Seat Leon.

Hes mentally unstable and goes out in his car to try and wipe people off the road.

Judge let him back out to create more havoc,instead of locking this dangerous person up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

The problem with alot of ROAD USERS is that they they think the world owes them something.

Everyone breaks the law and everyone breaks the rules of the road.Cyclists too.Even professional drivers too.

And if you say you dont,then you are lieing through your teeth.

Wonder if all the motorbikers allowed to jump in on the cycling forum and blitz that out of it??

Why wouldn't they? If you look at the first post and a lot of the follow ups, there's a lot of generalizations. A lot of the posters on the cycling forum are not fans of generalizations, mainly because it's idiotic. I mean the opening post is "The sweaty ball lycra brigade", talk about ignorance.

People can't seem to function without labeling people, it's too difficult for some to understand that the cyclist, motorbike/car/truck driver, pedestrian are people, and people are idiots. It doesn't matter what form of transport those people use.

It's far easier to see cyclists going through a red light as it's simpler for them to do. As a pedestrian I notice far more cars/motorbikes/trucks breaking the rules of the road
    Rickshaws....the scurge of society in Dublin.

Dangerous as feck too.someone will die in one of them contraptions soon.

They are a law onto themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Red means Go
    Here,you hit me with your car,you hit me so you did,you hit me on my little old bike and Im a defenseless person against your big car....you hit me so you did..:pac::rolleyes:

With that video it's like you don't understand the difference between what you posted i.e. the equivalent of, a kid with a water pistol, to the video of motorbikers on a reckless drive race through Wicklow at high speed, basically Guided missiles! any contact between their bikes and a cyclist or pedestrian would be certain death for all parties involved... Not to mention if the motorbikers hit a car it would most likely mean death for the rider and serious injury from the massive impact of the bike....

The video I posted was just one example, as all the others have been removed or posted elsewhere, but from the roar of motorcycle engines I hear everytime I'm in the Wicklow area, it's quite a common activity.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If your bike doesn't have an engine then GTFO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Pugzilla wrote: »

But today is the 200th anniversary of the first bike. Without it there wouldn't be versions with engines. Everyone should be celebrating ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Oh and with regards to the Wicklow Gap....I say this to motorbikers and cyclists too.

Watch out for that nutjob in the Grey Seat Leon.

Hes mentally unstable and goes out in his car to try and wipe people off the road.

Judge let him back out to create more havoc,instead of locking this dangerous person up.

The problem is the Seat Leon.

Could we not crowdfund him a ropey old R1 and some finely powdered bravery to put up his nose?

Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

Red means Go

Its shockin Joe.................:pac:

The irony of that video is ridiculous. At around the 1 minute mark, he moans about cyclists breaking reds (and I'm in no way condoning them doing that, mind) while he goes into the bus lane, and I doubt he's driving a taxi or bus (youtube profile identifies him as a trucker). Plus, regardless of his vehicle, he looks to encroach on the advance stop line, with is a no-go anyway. Never mind that he hashtags it cyclists, while including as much bad behaviour from other drivers and pedestrians :rolleyes::confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

cython wrote: »
    The irony of that video is ridiculous. At around the 1 minute mark, he moans about cyclists breaking reds (and I'm in no way condoning them doing that, mind) while he goes into the bus lane, and I doubt he's driving a taxi or bus (youtube profile identifies him as a trucker). Plus, regardless of his vehicle, he looks to encroach on the advance stop line, with is a no-go anyway. Never mind that he hashtags it cyclists, while including as much bad behaviour from other drivers and pedestrians :rolleyes::confused:

You do that realise in the majority of countries that bus-lanes are legally open to motorcycles?

No surprise then that Ireland isn't one of them with its anti-motorcycling culture, which is evident in the posts of these f*g**t cyclists.

I never see a motorcycle run a red light, but I see cyclists do it every day of the week.

I'll glady use a buslane or filter through traffic if that means not getting rear ended and crushed to death by a dozy car driver. I value my safety above obeying the archaic road traffic laws of this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

You do that realise in the majority of countries that bus-lanes are legally open to motorcycles?
    Do you think that that video is from a motorcycle?? If so, then look again, carefully this time. So not really sure what your point is with this comment?
    No surprise then that Ireland isn't one of them with its anti-motorcycling culture, which is evident in the posts of these f*g**t cyclists.
    You do realise that Ireland is also one of the more regressive countries for cycling as well, epitomised by your own irrationally vitriolic post?
    I never see a motorcycle run a red light, but I see cyclists do it every day of the week.
    Perhaps improve your powers of observation, I see motorcycles, cars, vans, buses, trucks and cyclists do it every day of the week. The main difference is that while some cyclists will arrive at a red and proceed through it, the rest of them just gun their engines and go beyond even amber-gambling.

I'll glady use a buslane or filter through traffic if that means not getting rear ended and crushed to death by a dozy car driver. I value my safety above obeying the archaic road traffic laws of this country.
    That's your prerogative, but obviously you do it at the risk of prosecution (though I'd be surprised if even .01% of bikers who do it get even stopped), but the lack of consideration shown by some motorcyclists to traffic entitled to use bus lanes when infringing on them is frankly disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

twin high lift thighs, v6 heart revving at 188bpm, 1000 kms to a gallon of high 5.....

seriously, in over 4 decades of cycling and over 35 years driving I've no problem with motor cyclists even though I've never been one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement