Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awning recommendation for T5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

We got one of these last year for our T5 transporter
    http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/driveaway-awnings/1243-attar-440-std.html

Come with an additional sun awning that zips on, which is great for a bit of sun shade outside.
    Inflates really easily and quickly, but you do need 2 people to put it up. Takes about 20-30 mins
    Not the easiest to drive away from as you have to get the van back in exactly the same position on your return!
    Fits 4 people fine
    We've got loads of use out of our and I'd recommend it

Vango are selling them very cheap on their site at the moment as they're last years model

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭n1st

Looks great.

Why does it take so long, is it the air pump slow or is it complicated ?

Do you know what the connection system to the van needs to be?
        I have been told Fiamma Windout systems are heavy.

n1st wrote: »
    Looks great.

Why does it take so long, is it the air pump slow or is it complicated ?

Do you know what the connection system to the van needs to be?
        I have been told Fiamma Windout systems are heavy.

Pumping up is the easy bit, that takes a few mins. It's hammering in all the pegs that takes time. I'm extra careful and always peg down all the awning and guy-ropes. Would be quicker if you weren't that bothered about staking everything in.

Those vangos come with 3 different types of connections. Pole and Clamp, the figure of 8 strips. We use the easiest which is velcro straps to the roof bars and webbing straps that go over the van and are pegged down on the other side.

There's some good info here -
    http://www.funkyleisure.co.uk/blog/2016/02/27/how-to-connect-a-vango-airbeam-awning-to-a-vw-t2-bay-splitscreen-or-t25/

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭n1st

I'm finding it difficult to visualize the configurations in action. I guess I can see on an camper site.
    Here's something I came across which looks like a cheap hack
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_t_eNXayeI

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Can't remember the model, but the in laws have an air beam one. 10-15 minutes to put up, certainly no comparison to the pole one we used to have when we had a T2. They attach to wind out awning iirc (generally not fully open), so can adjust that way when driving away.

Ease of putting up had us considering a downsize for a while. The only other thing is make sure you have a spare/ alternative pump, as they did have an issue one time when the pump broke/ got damaged!

• Advertisement

Here's a good video that explains the different attachment methods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6XBq6linXU

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pongo69

i have a LWB high roof 1997 BOXER and i cant get a drive away awning .
    so i am going to fit a caravan awning track and use a drive away kit and a caraavan awning,
    cant be that hard to make some poles so i can drive away

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

We have an Andes Bayo driveaway awning for our VW T5 camper. It's pretty easy to put up, maybe a 20 minute job, and pretty much entirely self-standing, so you can definitely drive away with it up (although there are some guy ropes for the awning-to-camper-door connection that I usually pull over to the other side of the campervan, they'd need to be removed before driving off).

Pretty spacious, room for two to sit and eat at a table if you needed, we just use ours without the groundsheet for a place to stand and change (we don't have a pop-top so can get cramped in the van), also use it with a portable loo and a porta-shower too if the place we're staying hasn't got facilities (at a festival, for example).

We used it one weekend when we were in Clifden and there was some 40kph winds happening. It definitely would have stayed in place, no real issues there, but the noise of the ropes rattling on the van was pretty loud, and we had our toddler with us and didn't want to add extra noise that'd wake him up!

Oh, and I've managed to put it up a couple of times by myself in strong winds. Would definitely recommend someone assisting you, but it's possible solo.

Advertisement