Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway

Options
  • 11-06-2017 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I'm looking at taking a job offer at UCHG. Just wondering where would be the best area to live? We don't have school age kids so schools and sports clubs are not an issue. We don't know whether to live in the city or in a small town nearby. Barna and Spiddal have been mentioned. I think I'd prefer a stand alone house or a small estate as opposed to a large sprawling one. I have considered commuting from Tullamore but I think it would be a stretch too far!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Oranmore on the opposite side is also a good bet. Close to town, with plenty of restaurants, bars, a cinema, tesco/lidl/aldi/super valu, Renville Park nearby, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Live on the same side of the city as you work. Trying to cross it is a complete nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Knocknacarra is also a good bet. GUH very limited with parking, and it can always be handy to have 3 bus routes serving the hospital. Some nice, small estates around.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭raemie10

I moved to Spiddal (from Dublin via Moycullen for a few months) last December.
    I adore Spiddal, such a lovely village, people are so welcoming and friendly.
    My other half travels to the city to work Mon-Fri and generally never has an issue with traffic, though he starts at 8am so probably misses the bulk of the traffic.
    If you're looking at living a quieter life, with a beautiful beach nearby, I'd highly recommend Spiddal.
    Only negatives I've encountered so far are....

1. Buses. Grand (ish) during the day but non existent returning from Galway city to Spiddal after 6pm. Taxi is €30 which is grand if your heading out with a gang of people, but if you're travelling solo, can prove a v exp night :)
    Also, re the bus. I was a tad shocked at the cost of it, €12 or so return for an adult. I know I shouldn't compare to Dublin, but Spiddal is the same distance to Galway City as Monkstown is to Dublin City centre and a return bus fare I dublin is only around €3.50-€4.00

2. Coffee and healthy T/A cafe food. If you love good coffee, there isn't really anywhere selling really nice coffee unfortunately. Same for really good healthy food. In saying that, the nicest wood fired pizza that I've ever eaten, is from an authentic Italian guy in the village!

That's it really.
    I absolutely adore Spiddal :)
    Can't imagine ever wanting to move!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Live on the same side of the city as you work. Trying to cross it is a complete nightmare.

I totally agree with that. The biggest minus of Galway is trying to drive in and out of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Redchick

Oranmore on the opposite side is also a good bet. Close to town, with plenty of restaurants, bars, a cinema, tesco/lidl/aldi/super valu, Renville Park nearby, etc.

Yes I had considered Oranmore - it's a lovely village and close to the city. Thanks ðŸ˜

raemie10 wrote: »
    I moved to Spiddal (from Dublin via Moycullen for a few months) last December.
    I adore Spiddal, such a lovely village, people are so welcoming and friendly.
    My other half travels to the city to work Mon-Fri and generally never has an issue with traffic, though he starts at 8am so probably misses the bulk of the traffic.
    If you're looking at living a quieter life, with a beautiful beach nearby, I'd highly recommend Spiddal.
    Only negatives I've encountered so far are....

1. Buses. Grand (ish) during the day but non existent returning from Galway city to Spiddal after 6pm. Taxi is €30 which is grand if your heading out with a gang of people, but if you're travelling solo, can prove a v exp night :)
    Also, re the bus. I was a tad shocked at the cost of it, €12 or so return for an adult. I know I shouldn't compare to Dublin, but Spiddal is the same distance to Galway City as Monkstown is to Dublin City centre and a return bus fare I dublin is only around €3.50-€4.00

2. Coffee and healthy T/A cafe food. If you love good coffee, there isn't really anywhere selling really nice coffee unfortunately. Same for really good healthy food. In saying that, the nicest wood fired pizza that I've ever eaten, is from an authentic Italian guy in the village!

That's it really.
    I absolutely adore Spiddal :)
    Can't imagine ever wanting to move!

Thanks a million for such great feedback😠It sounds fabulous. I guess we should visit a few places and stay for a night or two. I'd probably rent for a while at first but that might be difficult as we have 2 cats and 2 dogs.

feargale wrote: »
    I totally agree with that. The biggest minus of Galway is trying to drive in and out of the city.

I had heard that alright!! There is a staff shuttle bus from Merlin Park though so I was hoping that would be an easier way to cross the city?

So I've heard. My main problem is I love where I live now and really dread the thoughts of leaving friends and part of my family and the East side of the city doesn't feel as far away!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Redchick wrote: »
    I had heard that alright!! There is a staff shuttle bus from Merlin Park though so I was hoping that would be an easier way to cross the city?

It is very effective indeed. UHG staff are one of the few groups for whom the live on the same side advice can be modified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

That is sound advice. If you do the opposite you will regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I'd second the advice to live on the west side of the city to avoid commuting nightmare. There is a free bus from merlin park to Uhg but why add that extra hassle if you don't need to? Knocknacarra and salthill have some nice areas to live and you have the big advantage of being near the salthill prom for walks etc. Newcastle is the closest area to the hospital (and has some lovely estates) but pricey due to location near Uhg and nuig. Barna and Spiddal would be too quiet for me but both are nice if you don't want to come into city a lot for nights out etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Try buy in Menlo, carrowbrowne, kiloughter.... close to the city. Still in the countryside.

Hidden gem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

You should look at areas like salthill, Kingston, Taylor's hill area as well all on the same side, also the cladagh would be worth a look as well

I'd second the advice to live on the west side of the city to avoid commuting nightmare. There is a free bus from merlin park to Uhg but why add that extra hassle if you don't need to? Knocknacarra and salthill have some nice areas to live and you have the big advantage of being near the salthill prom for walks etc. Newcastle is the closest area to the hospital (and has some lovely estates) but pricey due to location near Uhg and nuig. Barna and Spiddal would be too quiet for me but both are nice if you don't want to come into city a lot for nights out etc.

Thanks for that. We probably would prefer to be closer to the city alright. Hadn't thought of Newcastle. Salthill is pricey too but with limited choice.

Try buy in Menlo, carrowbrowne, kiloughter.... close to the city. Still in the countryside.

Hidden gem

Thanks a million....hadn't even considered these!

JillyQ wrote: »
    You should look at areas like salthill, Kingston, Taylor's hill area as well all on the same side, also the cladagh would be worth a look as well

Taylor's Hill seems very pricey. Will have a look at Kingston. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Redchick wrote:
    Taylor's Hill seems very pricey. Will have a look at Kingston. Thanks.

Kingston pricey too. How about Moycullen? About eight miles straight out the N59. Fifteen minutes on a good day. Much cheaper than T Hill and Kingston. Quite a nice place. New road completed recently to the entrance.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Kingston pricey too. How about Moycullen? About eight miles straight out the N59. Fifteen minutes on a good day. Much cheaper than T Hill and Kingston. Quite a nice place. New road completed recently to the entrance.

Great...I'll have a look at that area too. Property seems to be in short supply in Galway at the moment. We're spoiled where we are, large garden, detached house and not overlooked so that's making it even harder because I keep comparing houses to our current home. However Galway has much more to offer than Tullamore!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Great...I'll have a look at that area too. Property seems to be in short supply in Galway at the moment. We're spoiled where we are, large garden, detached house and not overlooked so that's making it even harder because I keep comparing houses to our current home. However Galway has much more to offer than Tullamore!!!

Is the new job permanent? If not have you investigated the possibility of commuting by train? It's not that long of a journey. Might be an option especially if you are well zettled in Tullamore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Look at Rahoon, Circular Road, Mincloon (the last one can be pricier) some estates in these areas very close to Hospital but also on the edge of countryside.

cocoman wrote: »
    Is the new job permanent? If not have you investigated the possibility of commuting by train? It's not that long of a journey. Might be an option especially if you are well zettled in Tullamore.

It would be permanent. Initially using the train was part of the plan....until I had a look at the timetable!! First one from here doesn't get to Galway til around 10am. I was shocked to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

So I've heard. My main problem is I love where I live now and really dread the thoughts of leaving friends and part of my family and the East side of the city doesn't feel as far away!!!

Don't base any decision on this. You go to work 5 time a week, you go home maybe 2 a month. 2 town crossings a month is better than 20!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Get onto daft, look at the map view and what your house purchase budget could buy in various locations.
    What are your priorities regarding day to day living, do you want to be in the country with space or city with convenience, have you kids of school going or creche age, so what are the nearby options, etc etc.

I agree with martinkop re closeness to N6 vs daily commute, it's the daily one that'll grind on you after a while.
    Also, if looking around now, beware that school traffic is much reduced until September, so you're not getting a full picture of a normal commute.

Get onto daft, look at the map view and what your house purchase budget could buy in various locations.
    What are your priorities regarding day to day living, do you want to be in the country with space or city with convenience, have you kids of school going or creche age, so what are the nearby options, etc etc.

I agree with martinkop re closeness to N6 vs daily commute, it's the daily one that'll grind on you after a while.
    Also, if looking around now, beware that school traffic is much reduced until September, so you're not getting a full picture of a normal commute.

I think we'd prefer a town close to the city with some space around us. We only have one son but he's in college so school etc not an issue at all.

I think we'd prefer a town close to the city with some space around us. We only have one son but he's in college so school etc not an issue at all.

Moycullen a potential option then, I'm house hunting at the moment, looking closer to the city myself, but if I was to head out that direction, I like the character of this place.
    In a different price bracket, but with a surprise under the covers is this house.

Barna is another option, but work commute would be a bit longer and prices higher.
    Anywhere the other side of the bridge, you're looking at dealing with more traffic problems on a weekday.

Moycullen a potential option then, I'm house hunting at the moment, looking closer to the city myself, but if I was to head out that direction, I like the character of this place.
    In a different price bracket, but with a surprise under the covers is this house.

Barna is another option, but work commute would be a bit longer and prices higher.
    Anywhere the other side of the bridge, you're looking at dealing with more traffic problems on a weekday.

What a fabulous house....maybe a bit out of our price range. Looking at a maximum of around 380k. I like the look of Moyculleb and plan to visit the area soon.

What a fabulous house....maybe a bit out of our price range. Looking at a maximum of around 380k. I like the look of Moyculleb and plan to visit the area soon.

It's been on the market a while now, don't let the "renewed" date of two days ago fool you, gotta watch those estate agents like hawks.
    Worth a call to see if there's any bids on it, also worth noting, things have started to quieten down a bit in Galway according to estate agent I spoke to, so could be a good time to be looking.

It's been on the market a while now, don't let the "renewed" date of two days ago fool you, gotta watch those estate agents like hawks.
    Worth a call to see if there's any bids on it, also worth noting, things have started to quieten down a bit in Galway according to estate agent I spoke to, so could be a good time to be looking.

I was wondering that alright....like how much movement is there at the moment. I rang an agent the other day and left my number as he was on a call -still no call back!! Thanks a million for taking the time to comment and message me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement