Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Victory Centre, Firhouse Road

Options
  • 11-06-2017 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Anyone know what's happening with this building? Looks like there's a bit of movement, hoarding has recently gone up around it.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

New evangelical crowd taking over, or maybe the same crooked crowd got another chance and are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭fondue

Tabnabs wrote: »
    New evangelical crowd taking over, or maybe the same crooked crowd got another chance and are back.

That's disappointing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

How about giving the "new crowd" the benefit of the doubt for now or is it a case of guilty by use of a building!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »
    European Headquarters for Church of Scientology.

Please tell me ur joking!

:D

Would that be any worse than any other religious group?

Btw Im not joking, the secrecy surrounding who bought it (local councillers dont know) coupled with the fact that there has been no change in planning permission (its still to be used as a place of worship) plus the fact that the Church of Scientology would have the money to do it, and they need to be seen to be spending money on their religion in order to maintain their US charitable status, and they opened a new office in Dublin City Centre just a few months ago so they are not shy about investing in Ireland......

Interesting theory. I was just hoping that it's use would be changed to something useful (for me).

According to one of the local councillers it is definitely a religious group who bought it - its just who seems to be shrouded in secrecy.

So if youre up for a bit of a pray you might get the use of it?

I was up for a bit of Aldi! No chance!

• Advertisement

Oh Id love an ALDI there! Or anywhere in the area!

We could go in and pray for one?

Now there's an idea! Or maybe it's the church of Aldi going in. Extremely efficient streamlined praying. Mass would be over in 10 minutes!

The fact that the new ownership is not public would tend to lend support for it being the Scientologists. They have a very small support base in Ireland though so it would be a strange choice

Well we'll know if we see Tom Cruise knocking about in Super Valu.

A celebrity centre is just what Firhouse is missing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I never would never have described Scientology as a Christian church! Some of their teachings are not particularly Christian.

• Advertisement

Mmmm, I misread the actual post. Thanks for correction.

It also says speculation on a "new" headquarters (their quotes, not mine) is incorrect

So this could be Victory getting their mits back on the property from the receiver..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Tow

It is/was a Prosperity Gospel church: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosperity_theology
    Prosperity theology (sometimes referred to as the prosperity gospel, the health and wealth gospel, or the gospel of success) [A] is a religious belief among some Christians, who hold that financial blessing and physical well-being are always the will of God for them, and that faith, positive speech, and donations to religious causes will increase one's material wealth.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Just so we can all be reminded of the kind of people the Hade family are and why the Victory centre was so controversial.

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/no-escape-to-victory

http://clericalwhispers.blogspot.ie/2013/07/pastors-of-bust-church-who-owe-18.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Just so we can all be reminded of the kind of people the Hade family are and why the Victory centre was so controversial.

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/no-escape-to-victory

http://clericalwhispers.blogspot.ie/2013/07/pastors-of-bust-church-who-owe-18.html

I never know which amazes me more. That there are people this unscrupulous, or that there are people stupid enough to give them their money.

I had heard that this Victory church was something of a mushroom, that it grew very fast. I know someone who went there and she seemed to be quite happy for a while but one day said 'you get nothing for nothing there, everything costs'. Makes me appreciate the people who supply us with our church accounts, and who stand up annually in order to face questions by the parishioners. Did Victory not give their accounts to their church members every year then? Anyone with CoI church experience would have demanded a set of accounts at least, and probably any RC as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

It has been brought to my attention from a number of local businesses (and not via Chinese Whispers) that the CoS have in fact bought it and that previous reports are correct. It is believed that they'll be in by the end of August.

It does fit the profile and styling of a CoS Church. It will be interesting to see how they manage the large area of the entrance, particularly the two large spaces to the side (which was a restaurant, and the other a play area and cafe). The large venue would also be highly beneficial for their large scale talks and conferences, particularly if they are to use is on a European level.

I was thinking that it was a bad move taking over a building which was run by a questionable organisation, but then it made sense. Their reputation would easily handle such scrutiny, and they're not one to react to public opinion unless defamatory.

I, along with others, am investigating this further. What is more interesting is who the premises was purchased from. I wonder was it NAMA or the bank. If it was the former, it was a very interesting move on their part and would raise a number of questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Tow

I wonder was it NAMA or the bank.
    I assume it was the bank, as Bank of Scotland was their main lender and it is not a NAMA bank.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Advertisement