Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Austria, World Cup Qualifier, kick-off 5pm, RTE 2 & Sky Sports 1

• 11-06-2017 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

skysports-republic-of-ireland-jonathan-walters_3970594.jpg?20170604203114

Not long to go now before we face one of our biggest international games of the year.

There's a lot of speculation about what team Martin O'Neill will pick. The big calls would appear to be:

Randolph or Westwood in goal?
    Who to partner Duffy in defence?
    Does Arter start? Does Hoolahan?

We should know these answers in around 90 minutes or so.

What do we think the result will be? Optimism seems to be high in the Irish camp, although history has shown Ireland can tend to do things the hard way. Austria are missing big players such as Arnautovic, and there are whispers of unhappiness behind the scenes, but it's do-or-die time for them and they can't be underestimated.

I'm going to say we will win 2-1. I expect plenty of nervy moments along the way.

Update: The team news...
    Ireland XI: Randolph, Christie, K. Long, Duffy, Ward, Brady, Whelan, Hendrick, Arter, McClean, Walters.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

COYBIG - I'm optimistic that we'll do it. Want Holohan to start to show our intent. We should be going for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I think we will win. Won't be pretty but we'll take a big step to qualification

• Searsons is wedged
    Go on the boys in green yuuup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Feel as nervous today as I did V France last summer. I'd start Wes and try bring the game to them from the off. It's in our own hands for once. COYBIG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

This is the game where Ireland can grab a real chance at top spot by the throat. The game that we may well look back upon it and say it was the game that made/broke Ireland's campaign. A draw would not be the end of the world. In fact, a loss would still see Ireland in the top two, but at the same time, why make it hard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

briany wrote: »
    This is the game where Ireland can grab a real chance at top spot by the throat. The game that we may well look back upon it and say it was the game that made/broke Ireland's campaign. A draw would not be the end of the world. In fact, a loss would still see Ireland in the top two, but at the same time, why make it hard?

We could afford the welsh draw but we really need to be winning tonight, both teams are missing key players but we look like we can cope better than them. 3 points and then pray that Serbia drop points in the later game. Come on Ireland

how.gareth wrote: »
    We could afford the welsh draw but we really need to be winning tonight, both teams are missing key players but we look like we can cope better than them. 3 points and then pray that Serbia drop points in the later game. Come on Ireland

There's also the concern of the Georgia away game, which people seem to be forgetting. It's a worry that Ireland might finally have an unlucky day there. Today is especially important because of the cushion a win would provide for a stumble in the Autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Goalkeeper and defence is very worrying.

Westwood should be in in place of Randolph but O'Neill is still holding a grudge from 5 years ago.

Christie, Ward, Duffy and Long don't inspire any confidence.

It's a good chance this evening given the missing Austrian regulars but this one has draw written all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Kevin Long ?! 
    Big call there

• Advertisement

Didi, Liam and Eamonn. The A-Squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

No Weso No Party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I hope I'm proven wrong but I think MON has gotten the line-up wrong.

I wouldn't have picked Randolph, I wouldn't have picked Long, and I would have picked Hoolahan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭JamBur

Dunphy being negative to set up his "I told you so" routine if this goes badly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Ugh, can't listen to an hour of Dunphy moaning about Whelan and slobbering over Wes. Off to watch Mayo game until kickoff

No-one knows why Whelan is picked yet he's been a fixture in the team for 9 years. :pac:

Interplanetary space probes fulfill their missions in less time than football pundits, professional and amateur, have taken to solve, or at least agree on, the answer to the Whelan riddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Ugh, can't listen to an hour of Dunphy moaning about Whelan and slobbering over Wes. Off to watch Mayo game until kickoff

Yep i feel the same so iv stuck in the earphones until its time for kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

Normally we would have a competition to guess how many times dunphy mentions houlihan ... Would have been a high number this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No problems with the team selection at all. Looks like a side set up to attack.

Dunphy meanwhile is banging the St Wes of Hoolahan drum again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

It's win win for dunphy. Now he says he should have started however O' Neil likes to bring Wes on later in games when the opposition is tiring but then when he does and has an impact Dunphy can say he should have been on the whole time doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Wes often doesn;t start, not really news.

but Kevin Long is a gamble, he has barely played for Burnley and has little international experience beyond last week.
    Might be ok, but surely O'shea or Keogh would have been a safer option. CB isn't a position to take chances on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

In fairness, the end product is there against Sweden, against Italy, against Austria so I don't think it's a glib comment.

Ideally you would want to test the Austrians early and I fear no Wes gives them a greater chance of gaining a foothold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

:D

OR

:(

Depends which Mayo turns up!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

blueser wrote: »
    Well; at least he's consistent! And, to be fair, Hoolahan should be in the starting XI. He's a far better player than Whelan.

They play a different position though to be fair. Im no fan of whelan but a midfield 3 of wes, arter and hendrick would be way too open. Whelan is playing instead of McCarthy not wes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I feel a bit nervous going into this game.

I hope our players don't feel over confident because of supposed discontent in the Austrian squad.

It is awful to listen to. He needs to be f*cked off that panel. Especially for Irish games. I seriously can't listen to him anymore repeating the same stuff over and over again.
    He is entitled to an opinion a lot of people agree with but his default "Whelan adds nothing" cr*p has become tedious and is not the informative stuff you would expect from a panel of "experts". Elaborate on your Whelan disdain maybe and it will become more credible but merely saying he adds nothing when he clearly does at the top level, owing to the fact that he has just short of 300 appearances now for a ever present premier league team.

Maybe break down what he does do and concentrate on the player he is, not just criticise him because he isn't the flashy player you want to see.

Ugh. Was hoping I wouldn't get sucked into a Wes/Whelan debate again!

Damn you Dunphy, you got what you want!! :D

The Whelan criticism is bizarre. He's done well this year and would have been one of the first names on the team sheet for me. Whelan isn't a concern for me today.

My big concern is defending set pieces. We were very dodgy against Uruguay in that department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

RTE Player dodgy for anyone else?

Paully D wrote: »
    RTE Player dodgy for anyone else?

I'm in the O/Hs in Belfast and wasn't aware I couldn't watch it live here :confused: Have to find another way now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

'MON Ireland

Duff wrote: »
    I'm in the O/Hs in Belfast and wasn't aware I couldn't watch it live here :confused: Have to find another way now.

It is on Sky Sports if you have access

It is on Sky Sports if you have access

Found Sky coverage "Online". Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why wear a leprechaun hat to a football match!

Whats up with all the dodgy camera work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bagpipes wtf. Horrible.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Anthem sounded rotten

Bagpipes wtf. Horrible.

They are an Irish instrument despite what Scots think, so pretty appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Can we get down to the serious stuff now lads. Has Glen whelan got some new ink on his left arm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

murpho999 wrote: »
    They are an Irish instrument despite what Scots think, so pretty appropriate.

Yes I know. They still sound horrible.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Can't understand Keogh not starting over Long.

Edit: or O'Shea.

Christ the nerves.

• Advertisement

There are far too many "minute's silence" and "moments of appreciation" at games nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Will we have the trumpets again?

Duff wrote: »
    Found Sky coverage "Online". Cheers.

naughty :D

I assume you will be posting Rupert Murdoch et al a gratuitous payment tomorrow to thank him for their service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Has the band been banned?

We look pretty devoid of ideas. Hoofing it forward and hoping we get fouled so that we can win a free kick and then hoof that forward.

Big gap in the middle......Austria can damage us from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

We look like the team playing away from home.

We need to settle fast, and get a grip as their confidence is increasing with every passing minute

Jaysis, we are awful to watch.

alta stare wrote: »
    Big gap in the middle......Austria can damage us from there.

If only Hoolahan was playing!

We're at home, right?

• Advertisement
Advertisement