Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Austria, World Cup Qualifier, kick-off 5pm, RTE 2 & Sky Sports 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

That's desperately disappointing. I've been a big supporter of MON but I would put that result down to him. That was 2 points dropped. MON deserves to be hammered for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Come on Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Really didn't think we'd get back into that so well chuffed. Robbed of the win imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

That save from Randolph just before the goal could be a huge moment in this qualifying campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Those kinds of incidents are a weird grey area. You get so much benefit by just getting your body in the way to be kicked. But technically Walters kicks him. Walters was lining up a shot and does not benefit at all from kicking the defender, so it's a tough call for me.

Not up to the person in possession to alter their shape for a defender. Defender got too close to him, should be a penalty.

Played terribly and were still robbed, madness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Cue Humpty Dunphy :p

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Good heart shown late on to get a draw out of it and panic Austria. Thought the disallowed goal was probably a free based on the barge and high arm. Decent point but should have expected more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

A draw tonight is a must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Am i pissed off or relived ???

cant see Serbia losing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Defender didn't touch the ball. Interfered with the Walters' shot. Penalty.
    If a player is clipped unintentionally while running full tilt it's still a foul.

Could have been a free out for our goal as well

Strong words from McLean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Didn't deserve the win in the end, started playing way too late and Walters getting man of the match sums it up really. That Austrian team was there for the taking today and tactically it was wrong from the start and was fixed much too late. A point in semi decent in the end, a few decisions at the end shouldn't mask a pretty poor performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

niallo27 wrote: »
    For me Duffy charged at the defender. He didn't get the ball just bundled the defender over.

Duffyesque one might say... :-)

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Could have been a free out for our goal as well

Strong words from McLean

Yes. We did nothing for 80 minutes so I don't think he can complain too much

Why have RTE stuck a microphone in front of McClean's face moments after a fairly fierce game? Like they are inviting trouble onto the squad and McClean's comment about the ref runs the risk of a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm more disappointed with McClean skying it from 8 yards out after it was cleared off the line than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

dfx- wrote: »
    no penalty and it was a foul for the disallowed goal....possibly a foul for the equaliser too but a great finish.

Awful scared first 55 minutes.

Nah, all of those decisions are marginal. Walters' goal in particular was never a foul in a million years, just solid physicality.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Am i pissed off or relived ???

cant see Serbia losing

Id say dramatic. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Mon wrong selection and tactics cost us 2 points there Austria are not a good team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Tight group, always is with us involved.
    We could be leading table over summer, that has to be great achievement.

Tight group, always is with us involved.
    We could be leading table over summer, that has to be great achievement.

Yep we could be. Id prefer a draw later then go again next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just me or were George and Jim were very pessimistic that whole game? Felt like they were beating the Irish up until Walters scored and then immediately they were sure that we could get the second. I didn't think we played badly when you compare to the likes of Mexico when we couldn't string three passes together which was incredibly frustrating to watch.

I must have been watching a different match from the pundits. Austria did not "play football" and were not "the better team". Both teams were pretty poor today and it's okay to say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

The poxy music they blare out after a goal is a bit naff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why have RTE stuck a microphone in front of McClean's face moments after a fairly fierce game? Like they are inviting trouble onto the squad and McClean's comment about the ref runs the risk of a ban.

All TV stations do that and it's not RTE's fault that McClean is thick.

Cue Humpty Dunphy :p
    He's not wrong tonight. MON picked the wrong team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Nah, all of those decisions are marginal. Walters' goal in particular was never a foul in a million years, just solid physicality.

It wasn't a foul but you often see defenders get soft frees when there is any contact.

Something very irritating about Brady calling for Hoolahan to start games but when he was in a position of power he backed Trapatonni to the hilt when leaving him out of starting 11's so often.

MON is going to say he got it right and he's happy with the point and the poor tactics will continue.

It wasn't a foul but you often see defenders get soft frees when there is any contact.

But we need to be honest when we see a real outcome from that kind of situation. Physicality is a part of the game, that was a good battle between Walters and Dragovic all game.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »

For the national broadcaster though, know the situation, know the players, protect the players you are interviewing. There was no need at all for it to be McClean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Spot on. It wasn't a foul, but they're blown up 9 times out of 10. It was a deserved goal though, if only for the second half display

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I honestly can't understand why Whelan is in the team, Arter Hendrick in MF with Wes seems the obvious way to go when at home trying to win the game

MON is going to say he got it right and he's happy with the point and the poor tactics will continue.
    He can say what he likes but if we end up not qualifying he should and will be sacked. That was a poor performance from him especially and I say that as one of his defenders on here. He might get away with it as other results happen but that dropped two points was solely down to him.

I bet you were loving him last November.

He may not be the silkest player and he aint the most composed but f^ck me give him some credit for trying and having pride in wearing his countries jersey and why even bother calling him thick? I mean what do you even know about the mans intelligence? Straight after the game and he has a go at the ref and so what, he was clearly pissed off and fair play to him for not keeping stum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Thank f*ck Ireland got that goal. Disappointing, but it's one of those draws that now feels like a win because of the late goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Great point as we were really poor tonight. So many of the players are really limited football wise.

Big call to start Long in such a big game. For me Keogh is our best centre half. Unfortunately we have no centre back capable of playing the ball.

Impressed with Christie again. Composed and good on the ball.

What a player Jon Walters is. Started in the bottom division in England and worked his way up through every division. He is such a smart player. That little shove on the defender was typical of him. What a strike too.

Beglin is nearly as bad as Ronnie Whelan for being clueless as a commentator. Always derogatory towards the opposition players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

****....Thought game was on st 7.30 got beers in and all

blueser wrote: »
    Spot on. It wasn't a foul, but they're blown up 9 times out of 10. It was a deserved goal though, if only for the second half display

He used his arm fully extended to win the ball. It's was certainly a foul.

For the national broadcaster though, know the situation, know the players, protect the players you are interviewing. There was no need at all for it to be McClean.

"The National Broadcaster"

Come on you're expecting too much. Tony O'Donoghue has a job to do and is competing with other outlets.

Beglin is nearly as bad as Ronnie Whelan for being clueless as a commentator. Always derogatory towards the opposition players.

Agree with some of your post but scratching my head about this. I think Beglin is actually diplomatic to a fault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

On the way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

We were no more cohesive when the changes were made. Its too easy to criticise the manager.

I'll be an old man when this happens but i'm waiting for the day when the panellists actually criticise the players.

Courage isn't running around like a headless chicken, making tackles and working up a sweat. Courage is showing for the ball, taking responsibility and trying to make things happen. On those terms we've very few courageous players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

You can watch the highlights live on the RTE Player

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

MaClean's comments about the ref were nothing big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

So at half time dunphy says 'Walters cannot play up top and cannot run the channels'

Second half Walters scores a goal running the channels.

Full time no mention of Walters running the channels to score the goal.

Full time Dunphy says 'Walters is a great player lots of spirit'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Sit down relax crack open a beer it was a draw so the replay is on at 745.

Great interview with Walters. Wish the manager was as self-aware

alta stare wrote: »
    I bet you were loving him last November.

He may not be the silkest player and he aint the most composed but f^ck me give him some credit for trying and having pride in wearing his countries jersey and why even bother calling him thick? I mean what do you even know about the mans intelligence? Straight after the game and he has a go at the ref and so what, he was clearly pissed off and fair play to him for not keeping stum.

As professional players are not supposed comment about refs after games, I would deem him a bit thick for saying stuff that he shouldn't.

All right saying he should not keep stum but that's not what he's supposed to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

corny wrote: »
    We were no more cohesive when the changes were made. Its too easy to criticise the manager.

I'll be an old man when this happens but i'm waiting for the day when the panellists actually criticise the players.

Courage isn't running around like a headless chicken, making tackles and working up a sweat. Courage is showing for the ball, taking responsibility and trying to make things happen. On those terms we've very few courageous players.

Exactly I am sick of hearing the same records spun
    Just the names have changed hoolahan instead of reid

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Jesus enough about the officials

• Advertisement
Advertisement