Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Austria, World Cup Qualifier, kick-off 5pm, RTE 2 & Sky Sports 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

The second goal we got should have counted Duffy got up highest and got there fair and square. Walters had nothing to do with the defender not getting there very harsh from the referee.

Overall we were dreadful and didn't deserve three points and this against an Austria side who are clearly working against, not for their manager. No matter what the manager it's nearly always the same ol story, play conservative ****e with players not expressing themselves, then when squeaky bum time comes we actually start passing the ball and players start showing for the ball and hey presto we get a plucky point when we really should have won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

murpho999 wrote: »
    As professional players are not supposed comment about refs after games, I would deem him a bit thick for saying stuff that he shouldn't.

All right saying he should not keep stum but that's not what he's supposed to do.

:D Alot more players have said and done worse so im not sure James speaking out qualifies him as thick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Something very irritating about Brady calling for Hoolahan to start games but when he was in a position of power he backed Trapatonni to the hilt when leaving him out of starting 11's so often.

Yep. Nail on head. Hoolahan is in his mid-30s now. He should've been playing 10 yrs ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What gets me is all these people saying that Wes Hoolahan should start. The man is 35 years old and he should start on the bench and you should be hoping he isn't needed. At his age he is a plan b, albeit a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

pretty poor game - Jonathan Walters is a great servant - and Wes H should have started best we have -

PS Why does RTE have a stupid competition EVERY game they show ?? They have Adds and license fees already , Greed :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Might seem like 2 points dropped, but that will be a valuable point. We've 4 games left . Lot can happen still.

Austria have to play Wales and Serbia still.

What do we want from Serbia / Wales ?

Might seem like 2 points dropped, but that will be a valuable point. We've 4 games left . Lot can happen still.

Austria have to play Wales and Serbia still.

What do we want from Serbia / Wales ?

Draw seems to be the consensus. I'd go with that too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Draw would be best. Wales will have played us, Austria and Serbia away after tonight.

thelad95 wrote: »
    The second goal we got should have counted Duffy got up highest and got there fair and square. Walters had nothing to do with the defender not getting there very harsh from the referee.

Overall we were dreadful and didn't deserve three points and this against an Austria side who are clearly working against, not for their manager. No matter what the manager it's nearly always the same ol story, play conservative ****e with players not expressing themselves, then when squeaky bum time comes we actually start passing the ball and players start showing for the ball and hey presto we get a plucky point when we really should have won.

Nah, Duffy lead with his arm. Walters would have got a legitimat goal if Duffy had stayed away. But you could'nt really blame Duffy in the hurly-burly activity in the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

4 minutes added on at the end was a complete joke, shocking performance from the ref.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The penalty could've gone either way. Wouldn't blame the ref too much on that.

Duffy led with his arm, so the ref was right to disallow that goal. He didn't need to do it, so we should be annoyed at Duffy's brainlessness.

2nd half showed how brittle Austria actually were. Stone age tactics hamstrung us sonething fierce.

2 points dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    4 minutes added on at the end was a complete joke, shocking performance from the ref.

Shocking performance from Martin O Neill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

International management is not that difficult.

Put your best players on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Is the Wales game only on Sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

S4C too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Exactly I am sick of hearing the same records spun
    Just the names have changed hoolahan instead of reid

Bull**** tbh.

Some football was actually played in the deck in their third when Hoolahan came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Re S4C coverage. Sometimes they have English commentary along with the Welsh. Press the audio button on your remote to get option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

loobylou wrote: »
    S4C too

Gentleman and a scholar

• Set up negative expect a negative result
    **** sake MON

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

irishman86 wrote: »
    The penalty incident isnt a problem for me, its the non free kick awarded against the goal, joke

It went in off Duffy's upper arm. If he'd let Walters contest it we probably would have got a goal out of it. Walters was getting shoved in the back all day when the ball was in the air and getting nothing for it, very frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

noodler wrote: »
    Bull**** tbh.

Some football was actually played in the deck in their third when Hoolahan came on.

Yeah but he is 35 year old!

Who admitted himself he struggles to play a full 90

The cult of 'Wes' only gets bigger each passing year

If he was that good he would have moved to another club besides norwich

It is also an insult to the other players a 35 year old playing in the championship is 'our saviour'

Can the other players not string a triangle of passes together without him?

Or even three passes in a row?

Are they that sh*te and lacking of confidence?

Also why does the media insist on calling him 'Wes' ?

Everyone else gets called by thier second name.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Yeah but he is 35 year old!

Who admitted himself he struggles to play a full 90

The cult of 'Wes' only gets bigger each passing year

If he was that good he would have moved to another club besides norwich

It is also an insult to the other players a 35 year old playing in the championship is 'our saviour'

Can the other players not string a triangle of passes together without him?

Or even three passes in a row?

Are they that sh*te and lacking of confidence?

Also why does the media insist on calling him 'Wes' ?

Everyone else gets called by thier second name.

Nonsense.

Cult and saviour are your bizarre words.

When played his contributions have been consistent and tangible.

Goal versus Sweden, assist versus Italy, assist versus Austria.

If you deny the difference between the team when he plays versus when he doesn't then I'm not too sure what anyone can say to you.

Edit: he was on the pitch about 90 seconds and he put our best cross of the day into the box for Long that had to be stopped on the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jez, we can be really hard to watch at times.

That was low grade stuff today. If you seen U13s playing hoofball like that, you'd be disappointed.

Serbia 0, Wales 1. Peno by Ramsey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Someone will have to explain why they think MON would setup an attacking team, when his whole career he never has done, ffs he setup a good Villa side as a counter attacking team at HOME

Wales 1 up v Serbia

noodler wrote: »
    Nonsense.

Cult and saviour are your bizarre words.

When played his contributions have been consistent and tangible.

Goal versus Sweden, assist versus Italy, assist versus Austria.

If you deny the difference between the team when he plays versus when he doesn't then I'm not too sure what anyone can say to you.

Edit: he was on the pitch about 90 seconds and he put our best cross of the day into the box for Long that had to be stopped on the line.

Again you missed my point why is he the only player that tries to do that?

Are the other 10 outfield players zombies?

To paraphrase Trapatoni.

You would think he was Messi the way people talk about him.

He is a 35 year old who plays for Norwich.

What in the name of jayus are the other fellas on the pitch doing?

I am surprised that the footballs do not have to be de-iced considering the amount of time the ball spends in the clouds.

Serbia 0, Wales 1. Peno by Ramsey.

Great peno it was too he waited for the keeper to move and chipped it the corner.

• Someone will have to explain why they think MON would setup an attacking team, when his whole career he never has done, ffs he setup a good Villa side as a counter attacking team at HOME

Austria B team with a 3rd choice goalkeeper

Yea, we should be approaching that game in a positive attitude no matter what manager

I hear the excuse that hoolahan wouldn't be able to last. He plays for Norwich full 90 no bother so anybody saying he can't last a full match, that's a loaf of bull****e

I tell you what even if he had gotten 50 minutes from the start of the game we could have put that game to bed

Instead the game was approached in the opposite manner and we allowed them to score

The fact is the minute hoolahan was eventually introduced he changed the game the minute he touched the ball, so evident.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Someone will have to explain why they think MON would setup an attacking team, when his whole career he never has done, ffs he setup a good Villa side as a counter attacking team at HOME

It's not a counter attacking set up to be afraid of doing anything at all. The scoreline dictates this side's ambition.

The Serbia away game encapsulated it neatly, take the lead and sit off, go deservedly 2-1 down and dominate the game to comeback

Same away to Moldova at 0-1 until they equalise.

All about ambition and mindset, not about counter attacks.

• Advertisement

Pity we didn't start Hoolahan *. At home, you want someone to just get their foot on the ball, look up, and pass it.

* I'd have said Wes only a poster seems very annoyed at the use of his first name, for some reason I can't really fathom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

We played one forward Walters at home, and he wasn't even an out and out forward.
    He was running out the wings.

Bringing on Murphy changed everything.

It's not even about Murphy , just having a striker. Hard for midfielders to do much when there's nobody ahead of them.

We played one forward Walters at home, and he wasn't even an out and out forward.
    He was running out the wings.

Bringing on Murphy changed everything.

It's not even about Murphy , just having a striker. Hard for midfielders to do much when there's nobody ahead of them.

We got the draw that O'Neill set up for. At home. 5 players across the middle, 1 up front, playmaker on the bench. 2nd striker and playmaker come on, we score and look threatening.

It's not rocket science. The manager wanted a draw, we got it. Personally, I think it's a game that we could have won, but a draw isn't bad. It's exactly what we played for.

Wales are gonna win here and make our result earlier our to be 2 points dropped and throw is group wide open again

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Arter was very disappointing. Would have expected him to be the playmaker, yet he only seemed to want to pass it sideways or backwards. There was one point in the 2nd when we were still losing when Whelan ran across to receive a throw-in short, and Arter was hiding on the far side of the pitch. :mad:

Whelan gets a lot of stick, but he did his job well IMO. He won the ball back and didn't waste many passes. The same as Baumgartlinger, except his midfield partners were willing/able to drive on with the ball.

Wes was never going to last the full 90 so it was either the first 60 or the last 30 minutes, I felt myself that he could have more success in the last 30 with a few tired bodies around so I wouldn't blame Martin for that. Didn't do much when he came on but he always has that ability to unlock something.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Wes was never going to last the full 90 so it was either the first 60 or the last 30 minutes, I felt myself that he could have more success in the last 30 with a few tired bodies around so I wouldn't blame Martin for that. Didn't do much when he came on but he always has that ability to unlock something.

I agree with that. I didn't expect Wes to start, but he was slow putting him on, didn't come on till around the 70th minute mark.. I expected Murphy to start though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Today was another eyesore. Football has changed, the most successful teams play football on the floor. I hate this rubbish saying we dont have the players to do it when I have seen less skillful and worse players do it. Playing on the floor is a mindset. Also, when a team plays on the floor it gives players a rest, increases confidence and your not on the back foot all game. I presume that the long ball stuff is an order from MON who has always played with this style.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Wales are gonna win here and make our result earlier our to be 2 points dropped and throw is group wide open again

i'm happy enough with that if they hang on - we're still in a good position to win the group. I'm 90% sure we'd lose a play off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I agree with that. I didn't expect Wes to start, but he was slow putting him on, didn't come on till around the 70th minute mark.. I expected Murphy to start though.

At home he should have went with two strikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

At home he should have went with two strikers.

No need for two strikers, just play Walters in a wide role, and Brady either full back or as number 10. Hendrick is not a number 10, don't play him there.

• Tyson Fury wrote: »

Nope
    The first ball he put in the box created one of our best chances

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Nope
    The first ball he put in the box created one of our best chances

Certainly made am impact off the bench which is what you want from your subs coming in.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

If anyone had home form in this group try would run away with it.

On the game there's no need for arter and whelan on the same pitch especially when we are playing an out of sorts Austria team at home. Same player only difference is arter gets about a bit more and quicker and a little more agressive closing down why I would of playing him ahead of whelan. If your not going to go with Wes surely go two up top

Ref was right to give a free out on Duffy he lead with his arm. He's about 3/4 inches bigger than the defender on the line no need to put him over the line just jump use your height put it in the net.

Wales had the same level of player on the pitch tonight and kept the ball way better than we do. I know they only got the same amount points we did there point is if we would look after it a little more we get more points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Yeah Ireland was robbed today but a 1 - 1 draw with Wales Serbia so mathematically things still the same.

• Advertisement

• Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Certainly made am impact off the bench which is what you want from your subs coming in.

This myth that he can't play for more than 30 minutes is false

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Just annoys me that Ireland leaves work to do in the Autumn when they could have gone in there with clear daylight. Not to be too pessimistic, because I'm sure Wales and Austria certainly envy Ireland's position, but frustrating for us Irish fans, nonetheless.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    This myth that he can't play for more than 30 minutes is false

Mick I'm sure you know more than Martin O'Neill.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Mick I'm sure you know more than Martin O'Neill.

Well, he was Norwich's player of the season according to Dunphy.

Probably has to play more than 30 minutes a game to get that accolade in fairness.

MON is hardly infallible, poor team selection and tactics put us on the back foot again today so note sure it's fair to just say "MON knows best" to stifle discussion.

Edit: and it seems he regularly plays full games for Norwich more often than not or at least 70.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Only saw second half.
    Christie looked really out of his depth for most... and the Austrians tried to go down their left wing each time because of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement