Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barna waste

Options
  • 11-06-2017 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭

Trying to get my head around their blue, black and brown bins.

Somethings go in one bins and some things are excluded from it.

Are there items which go into none of the above ?

Are all recyclable items excluded? What is the reasoning behind their exclusion/inclusion lists ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

I was looking at that . What will not go in any of the 3 bins?

What is the main difference between the black bin and the blue bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

amandstu wrote:
    What is the main difference between the black bin and the blue bin?

Black bin is landfill, the stuff that cant be recycled, blue bin is for dry recycleables like cardboard, paper, plastic, ect, and brown bin is food waste, grass cuttings ect,

gerard2210 wrote: »
    Black bin is landfill, the stuff that cant be recycled, blue bin is for dry recycleables like cardboard, paper, plastic, ect, and brown bin is food waste, grass cuttings ect,
    great,thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Dane29

Make sure you keep as much as possible out of the black bin anyway as they will charge you a fortune as I found out! Charge enough for the brown bin to.

• Advertisement

Dane29 wrote: »
    Make sure you keep as much as possible out of the black bin anyway as they will charge you a fortune as I found out! Charge enough for the brown bin to.
    Yes I can see it is huge. Up to 13eu a lift it seems (incl "standing charge")

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Is it not €17 a month?

Max weight per bin: 50kgs

If you go over the 50kg then charged at this rate?

Waste Bin: ?0.22 per kg
    Recycling Bin: ?0.00kg per kg
    Compost bin: ?0.12 per kg

Or did I read it wrong!

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Is it not €17 a month?

Max weight per bin: 50kgs

If you go over the 50kg then charged at this rate?

Waste Bin: ?0.22 per kg
    Recycling Bin: ?0.00kg per kg
    Compost bin: ?0.12 per kg

Or did I read it wrong!
    That is not what I understood. thought it was just that you could only put a max of 50kg in the bin. You won't be charged for any excess because they will just not accept it.

I think a lift with the maximum weight of 50kg should cost 11.10 eu according to your .22eu/kg rate.

If it weighs less then it will cost less.

amandstu wrote: »
    That is not what I understood. thought it was just that you could only put a max of 50kg in the bin. You won't be charged for any excess because they will just not accept it.

I think a lift with the maximum weight of 50kg should cost 11.10 eu according to your .22eu/kg rate.

If it weighs less then it will cost less.

So whats the ?17 a month for?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I enquired about getting the bins and was told it would be around 280 euro a year, that's crazy money for a guy living on his own.

I use the City Bin where you can drop off your black bag for 4 euro.

• Advertisement

I enquired about getting the bins and was told it would be around 280 euro a year, that's crazy money for a guy living on his own.

I use the City Bin where you can drop off your black bag for 4 euro.

There's a few options though isn't there. You can also pay by lift.

Also, WERS Waste have a pay by lift option which for someone living on their own I reckon you could do for for a lot less than that Barna quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Probably the dumb question but is it safe to assume that the weight is purely of the waste in the bin and doesn't include the weight of the bins themselves?

So whats the ?17 a month for?
    I only got the LITE account.

I see they have added VAT on the bill as well.

I think the 17€ per month account gives you the 3€ lift charge as prepaid but I find it all a bit confusing:confused:

I only got the LITE account.

I see they have added VAT on the bill as well.

I think the 17€ per month account gives you the 3€ lift charge as prepaid but I find it all a bit confusing:confused:

How does the LITE work out in terms of cost?

How does the LITE work out in terms of cost?

I have just started it . I think it is 8 eu a month and 3eu for each lift plus the weight charges (plus VAT)

I see there are new national regulations coming into place and I am not sure if that will affect the scheme at all.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/you-need-know-new-bin-10707320

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭filmifan

Which bin do I put my glass bottles in? Or does Barna not accept ANY glass in any of the three different bins (blue, black, brown)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

filmifan wrote: »
    Which bin do I put my glass bottles in? Or does Barna not accept ANY glass in any of the three different bins (blue, black, brown)?

Local bottle bank I believe. And probably easier/better value too as you don't want the weight of the bottles anywhere near a pay-by-weight scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

filmifan wrote: »

Bottle bank

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭filmifan

Thanks randomname2005 and km79. Makes sense, financially, to bring the glass to the bottle bank. I was just being a lazy ass, by wanting to quickly and conveniently put them in one of the three bins.

Are bottles/clothes the only things centres accept w/o a mandatory charge?

Some things are completely free but you have to pay to get in otherwise (electrical goods from memory)

Do policies perhaps vary from one centre to another?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Are bottles/clothes the only things centres accept w/o a mandatory charge?

Some things are completely free but you have to pay to get in otherwise (electrical goods from memory)

Do policies perhaps vary from one centre to another?

Electrics are free. Anything with a plug or a battery.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Electrics are free. Anything with a plug or a battery.

How do you interpret that ,though?

They are classed as free but there is also a "Standard Charge" (per car) of 3€ listed at the bottom of their Clifden page

https://www.barnarecycling.com/our-recycling-centres/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭tphase

How do you interpret that ,though?

They are classed as free but there is also a "Standard Charge" (per car) of 3€ listed at the bottom of their Clifden page

https://www.barnarecycling.com/our-recycling-centres/
    the standard charge only applies to non-free items. I dropped electrical waste there last summer, no charge

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bins not emptied today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I see that they want €50 initial payment, if you pay by credit card. Is this a deposit or does it go towards your first bills ? They only show Direct Debit & Credit card but the Post Office say that you can pay there. Has anyone done this ?

Advertisement