Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ned Flanagan

Options
  • 11-06-2017 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

hope all the riders are ok after today's spill(s) with no serious injury. No info on what happened and it happened well before the deluge of rain but there seemed to be riders still down well over an hour after,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Apparently only 9 A4 riders finished, unsure how true this is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that was a windy day for a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Two of our lads were third and fourth, the others finished up on the ground, but at least they didn't have to join the 6 riders who are reported to be in Naas Hospital.

As to what happened there's loads of fingers being pointed but this isn't the place for it, if a rider acting the dick is proven to be responsible, then appropriate action should be taken.

nilhg wrote: »
    Two of our lads were third and fourth, the others finished up on the ground, but at least they didn't have to join the 6 riders who are reported to be in Naas Hospital.

As to what happened there's loads of fingers being pointed but this isn't the place for it, if a rider acting the dick is proven to be responsible, then appropriate action should be taken.

Jesus, that must have scary.

Was there a crash at same point last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Was at the back of the bunch and heard it happen before i saw it. Big pile up. Most of the bunch came down. Hopefully all are ok and will recover soon.

I did not have a good feeling about the bunch sprint today. I thought road was too narrow for a combo of how many riders in the bunch and some of the dangerous riding i saw on the right hand side of the road throughout. I kept well out of it ill be honest. It was my first race of the year (and first in over a decade) so i was happy to ride around in the bunch and get used to racing again.

I have no idea what happened in the crash by the way. I think about 20 A4s finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

dahat wrote: »
    Jesus, that must have scary.

Was there a crash at same point last year?

Check Sean Rowe's photos for a photo of the aftermath of the crash, it's in the comments.

Crash last year (or maybe the year before) was a little farther up towards the finish.

My own tuppence worth (for what it's worth) is that the road is safe enough for a small sized bunch but the course is flat and fast and the race is too short to spread things out, it's only 47km/1hr 11mins, we run league races longer than that.

nilhg wrote: »
    Check Sean Rowe's photos for a photo of the aftermath of the crash, it's in the comments.

Crash last year (or maybe the year before) was a little farther up towards the finish.

My own tuppence worth (for what it's worth) is that the road is safe enough for a small sized bunch but the course is flat and fast and the race is too short to spread things out, it's only 47km/1hr 11mins, we run league races longer than that.

Agreed,47km is savage short, at this time of year races should perhaps be 60-70km maybe. Might shake up the bunch a bit or maybe another 10km to 80km actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

6 to hospital, defo a good few broken collar bones. One guy on a spinal board as a precaution. Hope all are ok and recover.

Loads of broken bikes.

Only 5 were ahead of the crash, the rest of the finishers were the handful who got thru.

The A1 race was stopped on their last lap as it couldn't get past the ambulances.

I'm still trying to calm down after what happened because some people need to really start thinking about what they are at. That today was totally avoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 marathon50

Nine riders in Nass hospital I hear, my brother been one of them. Looks like a broken collarbone and a bad cut on eyebrow. Was down to do the Marmotte in 3 weeks time, bad luck.
    I just missed out coming down by the skin of my teeth. I did not see much
    point in finishing the it was total mayhem and too many riders needed help.
    What caused it I do not know. In my own opinion I thought the A4 far race was too
    big for the course I would give a guess not too far off 100. The distance was way too short under 50km with riders at peak
    fitness this time of year on a flat course like today it was bound to end with a huge bunch coming to the finish. Throw in the wind and rain and something had to happen. I wish all injured riders a speedy recovery.

dahat wrote: »
    Agreed,47km is savage short, at this time of year races should perhaps be 60-70km maybe. Might shake up the bunch a bit or maybe another 10km to 80km actually.

Totally agreee. They shortened the race from the advertised 4 lapse. . If I'd know it was 47k I wouldn't have wasted my Sunday travelling to it.

It seems trivial after what happened but by bringing it under 50k only the first 6 get points.

• Advertisement

Hypothetically speaking in another realm what happened at the front?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bikeguy123

Why was the race shortened to 3 laps in the beginning?

Plenty of guys travelled a decent distance for a race that should be longer than a club race.

No reason an A4 race can't be as long as an A3 race, trim the fat. The race was too short and too many had energy to burn towards the end.

There was a support car passing the bunch dangerously at one stage and had to pull into the bunch to avoid an oncoming car, ffs...

No rolling marshals, cars travelling at speed towards the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

happyhappy wrote: »
    bones. One guy on a spinal board as a precaution.
    Loads of broken bikes.

Two of our lads came down.
    I believe one of the spinal board but afaik got the all clear withjust a broken bone.
    The other lad broke his bike and now ,sadly, has to go shopping for a new frame/bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The aftermath

NCzt565.jpg

Totally agreee. They shortened the race from the advertised 4 lapse. . If I'd know it was 47k I wouldn't have wasted my Sunday travelling to it.

It seems trivial after what happened but by bringing it under 50k only the first 6 get points.

Last race I did was 52km and I felt another lap would have made it a good test.
    I won't be doing any races over short distances as a rule of thumb now, far too risky even though it would suit me.

bikeguy123 wrote: »
    Why was the race shortened to 3 laps in the beginning?

Plenty of guys travelled a decent distance for a race that should be longer than a club race.

No reason an A4 race can't be as long as an A3 race, trim the fat. The race was too short and too many had energy to burn towards the end.

There was a support car passing the bunch dangerously at one stage and had to pull into the bunch to avoid an oncoming car, ffs...

No rolling marshals, cars travelling at speed towards the bunch.

What the support car did today was appalling and it only through pure luck that he didn't wipe out some of the bunch when he pulled into it when a car drove against him when he was on the wrong side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Totally agree there is nearly no point running an A4 race at that distance I guess it's a money thing really as for the crash we will probably never know what happened but the roaring and unnecessary shouting from some rider a few Km's from the finish was crazy caused nothing but panic might be easier if people stayed quiet and just rode there race!!!if your stuck down the inside and can't get out well hard luck suck it up and wait

I don't agree with posting photos of injured riders on fb either. Not cool..

Totally agree there is nearly no point running an A4 race at that distance I guess it's a money thing really as for the crash we will probably never know what happened but the roaring and unnecessary shouting from some rider a few Km's from the finish was crazy caused nothing but panic might be easier if people stayed quiet and just rode there race!!!if your stuck down the inside and can't get out well hard luck suck it up and wait

You hit the nail on the head .......The same guy that was shouting and roaring in bohermeen just before a crash there was at it again today. Sure everyone at the crash today was talking about it.

I don't agree with posting photos of injured riders on fb either. Not cool..

Even Stickybottle has done and continues to do so, see below link as an example:

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/dramatic-photos-by-brendan-culleton-of-boyne-gp-womens-race-huge-crash-and-aftermath/

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote:
    Even Stickybottle has done and continues to do so, see below link as an example:

That's from 3 years ago. Doesn't make it okay to post

That's from 3 years ago. Doesn't make it okay to post

I disagree, respectfully. We race bikes, we crash, people take photos regardless of whether we crash or not.

Inquitus wrote:
    I disagree, respectfully. We race bikes, we crash, people take photos regardless of whether we crash or not.

Were you involved today?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Why was it only just over 3 laps I seen on fb that the HQ was moved but only found out at start line and not the sign on about the laps it was pure madness out there today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

the majority of the blame seems to be aimed at the promoters for having a shorter distance. some say that another lap would have strung it out. I would put forward that riders make races, distance shouldn't be an issue. 3 separate breaks and a peloton in the A1/A2 race in the first 25 kilometres because it was eyeballs out from the start. yet there was still a bunch gallop for the minor honours til race was stopped. you'll always have a gallop. I dare say an extra lap or two in the A4 might have seen stronger lads go up the road but you'd still have a bunch sprinting it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Colm_D

Sounds like a rough day had my more than a few. It happens unfortunately, that's bike racing........
    But on the plus side;
    19145767_10213831105436365_1901581733819092082_n.jpg?oh=071f6c2b8ecee65f15445bbd9caf03ca&oe=59D25905

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i hope the guy on the motorbike was disqualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    the majority of the blame seems to be aimed at the promoters for having a shorter distance. some say that another lap would have strung it out. I would put forward that riders make races, distance shouldn't be an issue. 3 separate breaks and a peloton in the A1/A2 race in the first 25 kilometres because it was eyeballs out from the start. yet there was still a bunch gallop for the minor honours til race was stopped. you'll always have a gallop. I dare say an extra lap or two in the A4 might have seen stronger lads go up the road but you'd still have a bunch sprinting it out.

I agree to a point. There were a few factors in that crash yesterday. Were the organisers at fault 100%? Nope - the riders themselves have to accept some responsibility too (I was one).

1. Nobody strong enough to get out of the bunch in A4.
    2. The number of riders in the race (est. 80 - 100).
    3. The risk taking by a small number of riders in that bunch.
    4. The width of the roads.
    5. The length of the race, 3.5 laps, 47k.
    6. The stupid (official?) car in the middle of the race trying to pass out the bunch.
    7. No slowing down of oncoming traffic - not that i saw anyways.

Hopefully all the guys injured are recovering well this morning and are not too sore.

Apologies to the A1/A2 race which got called off due to the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

its very difficult to avoid crashes on circuits with finishes like this. often making the lower grade races longer results in the bunch riding conservatively for most of the race leading to a bunch gallop at the end anyway... at which point the weaker riders are absolutely swingin which can contribute to crashes.

in my opinion the finishing straight was too narrow for a flat race such as this. i saw the carnage from the a4 sprint and elected to drop back in the a3 bunch about 500 metres from home only to see the same thing happen ahead of me.. i didnt see any sketchy riding in the a3 bunch, everyone seemed to know what they were at. The crash was simply down to 30 competitive lads going for it on a road that couldnt support that type of sprint.. a reduced bunch sprint, yeah no problem, but it was never going to be a reduced bunch on a circuit like that.

apart from that a really well run and enjoyable event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Chumpski wrote: »
    I agree to a point. There were a few factors in that crash yesterday. Were the organisers at fault 100%? Nope - the riders themselves have to accept some responsibility too (I was one).

1. Nobody strong enough to get out of the bunch in A4.
    2. The number of riders in the race (est. 80 - 100).
    3. The risk taking by a small number of riders in that bunch.
    4. The width of the roads.
    5. The length of the race, 3.5 laps, 47k.
    6. The stupid (official?) car in the middle of the race trying to pass out the bunch.
    7. No slowing down of oncoming traffic - not that i saw anyways.

Hopefully all the guys injured are recovering well this morning and are not too sore.

Apologies to the A1/A2 race which got called off due to the incident.

I take it the A4s will send us the signing on entry which went to pay for all the ambulances?

Advertisement