Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing cycling stuff in hand luggage ...

Options
  • 11-06-2017 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

As above, are there currently any issues bringing gels, pedals, allen keys or multi tool or any other bike related stuff in carry on bag, won't be bringing C02, off to spain soon and the boss says I'm allowed to rent a bike :D flying with ryan air btw
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

From previous threads on the subject, my understanding is that multitools are a no-go area. Gels I would imagine are subject to the same liquid requirements as everything else. Pedals may be ok, but you'd need to be sure some uppity/ill-informed security staffer doesn't take issue with it. Ultimately the airline does't come into it, as it's all the same security.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I've brought pedals in the past few months no issues. I would imagine gels and tools may be trickier.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

pedals no issue, multi-tool nearly was an issue for me recently. well... mine is a small set of 6 allen keys and they had a good think about it before letting me go through with them. anything that conceivably could be used to stab or club someone will be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You won't get away with a multi-tool.

Sometimes I find that if I place some things in a jacket/coat pocket, they get through compared to luggage. You could try that with the gels. No big loss if they're confiscated.

(Could you not buy gels whereever you're going?)

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I'll pack the gels but not bothered if they get taken was only gonna bring them as I've a full box but don't want my pedals confiscated so thanks for the reply guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I brought the head of a camera tripod in my hand luggage without issue. It was 1kg in weight.

Advertisement