Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are student's numbers truly autonomous?

• 11-06-2017 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭

I just checked with my daughter regarding her serial number and she said that her friends' in school student numbers start with the same code.
    She then checked with her friend's student number from another school, who said that his numbers start the same as student's in his school.

Essentially these numbers point at least to the general area of the school, if not the exact school, thus reducing the anonymity of the student's number.

I'm not worried or have any prejudice, just pointing out a flaw in the system.

thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You mean the exam numbers? They will be consecutive in each school.

Nobody outside SEC headquarters would know which exam numbers match which school or centre though.

Sometimes, when marking a paper you get hints as to what general area of the country it is (for example if they are to name a round tower, and don't say Glendalough, the one they name is probably close to their school), but I would have no idea which actual school it is, yet alone who the candidate is.

If you mean the general student numbers which begin with a year, they are for department reasons such as school completion, length of time in school, TY participation etc.. Again, the child can't really be identified by it outside official channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭huskerdu

The people administering the system have to know which number has been alloted to each pupil and which numbers were allocated to each school. Otherwise, no-one would get their results.

I am not a teacher, but the teachers who correct get a pile of papers with numbers on the top.

I cant work out why you think that consecutive numbers in a school will give the examiner any extra information that would bias them. Can you explain ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

It's a naming convention that's in place for the numbers - for example Year-School Code-Student No. However it would be difficult to work out what codes are allotted to what schools and thus identify the school let alone the pupil from that. As far as I'm aware as well, the papers aren't sent to any teachers from the local area for marking - i.e. unlikely a correcter in Cork would get Cork schools papers but might get Wicklow.

Advertisement