Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary teachers - what gifts?

Options
  • 11-06-2017 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

I would like to get gifts for my children's primary teachers. (2nd and JI). One kids teacher in particular has helped my kid through a difficult year and some challenging behaviour.

What's an appropriate gift to give?

What do you prefer to not get? (I assume teachers don't want 30 yankee candles / dust gathering ornaments, etc)?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A nice thank you card.
    Honestly, people do not expect or want anything more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Agree with spurious, nothing more heart warming than a genuine thank you card with a personal message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Thank you card with message to say why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I'd avoid most foody things, like chocolate or biscuits, my mum always gets a ridiculous amount of those every year. If you do decide to go for food, maybe try something savoury and a bit different, like some nice cheese and crackers.

Bottles of wine etc aren't a bad present and they can easily be re-gifted if the person doesn't want them!

My mum actually loves getting any house-y stuff, as it's something she never spends money on herself, I guess it's a personal thing though. I wouldn't buy anything like that unless you've an idea of their style.

Depending on what's on in your local area, tickets for a show or concert over the summer might be a nice idea. Most primary teachers I know are actually bored to bits for the summer unless they're going away for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We usually give a card that the child has written / made. And I stick a generic voucher for 10 euro in it.

Wine - no go because every teacher they've had has been pregnant at the end of the year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Elenorrigby

A nice card with a message thanking the teacher would be well received. I usually enclose a voucher for Boots or Costa coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Candles, wine, vouchers. All these are greatly appreciated. Have seen in one school where a group of parents came together and got a decent sized one4all voucher for a teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm second level rather than primary, but honestly, a card with a meaningful message from the student is most appreciated and nothing more is needed. No matter what you give though it will be appreciated.

One thing I received a couple of years ago that stands out as something useful and practical is a pretty bag from Penneys. A cloth one that folds up - cost less than €5 but I use it all the time for carrying copies and always think of the girl that gave it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Most primary teachers I know are actually bored to bits for the summer

Not true! :) I love Yankee candles or any type of candles as I'm constantly burning them. Bottle of wine (white please!) always appreciated. Really, a card with a genuine message inside. I've kept practically all of my cards!

(I've never seen an unopened box of chocs in the staffroom either - no matter how many boxes there might be!!)

Advertisement