Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holidays after resigning

Options
  • 12-06-2017 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I resigned (impulsively) last friday from my job - bully boss & I couldn't take any more. Contract requires 2 months notice. I have annual leave booked (and approved earlier in the year by the bully boss) in a couple of weeks. Am I entitled to take it or can they insist I forfeit it now to be available for all of my notice period?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hellywelly wrote: »
    I resigned (impulsively) last friday from my job - bully boss & I couldn't take any more. Contract requires 2 months notice. I have annual leave booked (and approved earlier in the year by the bully boss) in a couple of weeks. Am I entitled to take it or can they insist I forfeit it now to be available for all of my notice period?
    Thanks

Entitled pro rata on what you had left to take based on your leave entitlement from the start of your leave year.
    So for example, if you had 10 days leave accrued from the start of your companies leave year and hadn't taken any of it, you'd be entitled to be paid for that pro rata to the day you resigned. It's a statutory entitlement

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Hellywelly

Thanks! Am I allowed actually take the days off or is it up to the company if they want to pay me instead of letting me take the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hellywelly wrote: »
    Thanks! Am I allowed actually take the days off or is it up to the company if they want to pay me instead of letting me take the time?

Up to you or to company discretion I'd think. You can arrange to be paid for those days plus paid for the days you've worked. Or simply get paid for the leave days- sounds like it'll be this option as you've appeared to have left already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

If you have booked and had signed of the holidays they will have to let you take them , they could ask you extend your notice to take into account your holidays and cover your notice period , if you have no job to go to, this might suit you to have another two weeks pay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

You would need to check your company staff manual as it differs from company to company.  In any company I've worked in (finance), it is at management's discretion if pre approved annual leave can be taken during notice period. Only once have I seen a manager actually revoke an employee's leave but that was out of pettiness. The manager viewed everyone who handed in their notice as a personal affront against him and this was his petty way of getting his own back (not a coincidence that he usually was the main reason they left!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ongarboy wrote: »
    In any company I've worked in (finance), it is at management's discretion if pre approved annual leave can be taken during notice period.
    That really only applies to practice of people making their notice shorter, by using some of their annual leave.

Holidays which are booked and approved can only be revoked with a month's notice and with due regard given to the employee's situation (e.g. if they've paid for flights and such, the employer can't cancel the holiday).

This requirement still applies during the notice period.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

seamus wrote: »
    Holidays which are booked and approved can only be revoked with a month's notice and with due regard given to the employee's situation

Says who?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

seamus wrote: »

There is quite literally nothing on that page regarding revocation of leave.

The act only mentions 'must consult', again nothing about minimum notice to revoke, cessation of employment and holidays and nothing at all regarding the outcome of such consultations or restrictions on revocation.

Advertisement