Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband between Portloaise and Stradbally

Options
  • 12-06-2017 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend the best broadband package around the Rock of Dunamaise area? Using Sky currently, and it's woeful - can't even get Netflix to load, much less play anything. A download of a 30 minute programme from Sky can take half a day. Eircom technicians have ruled out any issues with the connection, they say it's just a weak area.

Does anyone in the area have a better service? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I'm not far from you as the crow flies ... I think until the lines are upgraded to some sort of FTTH system (could be 2022) your only options are fixed wireless ones.

Particularly:

1. Imagine LTE - this is essentially a 4G SIM card connected to an aerial on your roof. You can get speeds of up to 75Mb and they allegedly won't install it unless you can get over 30Mb but there are significant downsides (many of which won't affect your average domestic user.) There's a big thread about Imagine LTE in the broadband forum. Well worth reading.

2. Premier Broadband - they use a wireless networking technology that depends on line of sight usually through an aerial on the roof too. Max speed available is 10Mb. They are a relatively small company. The technology isn't anywhere near as robust as ADSL so the speeds can be quite variable, particularly during the evenings and weekends when all their customers are online. I'm with them and although I'd switch to anything above VDSL in a heartbeat if it came (which it won't for a long time) I'm relatively happy and I have to say that I have found their customer service very good. It's only 9-5 for domestic customers but when you get them they seem to deal with the problems quickly and usually effectively and you almost always get through to a real person quickly - which is great. I work from home regularly (using VPNs, VOIP, etc.) and it's a good enough service to make that workable where 4Mb ADSL would struggle.

Hope that's of some help! Happy to go through my experiences more by PM if it's of any help.

Advertisement