Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work issues in new job

Options
  • 12-06-2017 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭

I've recently started a new job and I have a few concerns about it. I feel that I was really missold the role during interview and I'm looking for advice on what to do and how to approach it. I'm still on probation at this stage and don't want to find myself turfed out and facing the dole.

Issues are the shifts: one is actually illegal, I've pointed this out to my line manager and offered alternatives but I'm being avoided now ( I don't work the same hours as him so I'm trying to call and email him )

I was told I was working in a team of three, now it turns out the other two are in another location in the same building but we hardly see each other so I'm basically working alone.

So far I have not been trained and there is no real procedure for breaks etc so I'm having days where I don't get a break.

I am basically a glorified security guard doing work that I don't have a PSA license for.

I feel at this stage, nearly 3 weeks in, I just want out. Its a stressful job as it is without the added stuff and mentally its getting to me.

Can anyone give me words of wisdom or advice on what I should do or how I should approach it....I've been so lucky to only ever work in well run places so this is all a bit new to me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

is start looking for a new job to obvious?
    some companies are bad. this one sounds like its bad, do your best and start looking for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

is start looking for a new job to obvious?
    some companies are bad. this one sounds like its bad, do your best and start looking for a new one.

Already have and that presents its own issues. I'm worried that at an interview it will look badly on me that I have not really given this one a chance but I'm really not prepared to stick it out anymore.

I think its okay to leave a job if its not for you but I don't know if that will go against me job hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

eviltwin wrote: »
    Already have and that presents its own issues. I'm worried that at an interview it will look badly on me that I have not really given this one a chance but I'm really not prepared to stick it out anymore.

I think its okay to leave a job if its not for you but I don't know if that will go against me job hunting

You can deal with those questions as they come up - if they even do. At worst you could even say you took an extended holiday break between the previous job and the one you are applying for. Dont over dwell on the fact that you are looking again. Its best to get out and find something that suits you more than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

GBX wrote: »
    You can deal with those questions as they come up - if they even do. At worst you could even say you took an extended holiday break between the previous job and the one you are applying for. Dont over dwell on the fact that you are looking again. Its best to get out and find something that suits you more than this.

Thanks for that, that is very reassuring. I know my previous boss will back me up and say I took personal time out or whatever if someone rings for a reference.

Advertisement