Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota Auris Hybrid ad "Forget plug in" Should it make me angry?

• 12-06-2017 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

The Toyota ad running every night, end shot showing a cobweb over a charge point with the strapline, "Forget plug in" Am I missing something, what's the point in EVs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thats Toyota clinging to Fuel Cell tech and not wanting to admit defeat. They want hybrid and hydrogen fuel cell to take over from BEV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

reboot wrote: »
    The Toyota ad running every night, end shot showing a cobweb over a charge point with the strapline, "Forget plug in" Am I missing something, what's the point in EVs?

How many BEV models do Toyota produce compared to HEVs? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ever since the days of EV1, big oil is always opposed to EV, they want hydrogen cars as they would be similar to ICE cars with dealer networks to repair the engine and easily taxable fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

This ad is targeted at nonEV drivers, which assume that this is downside of EV. Currently the biggest issue I have now after owing EV is refueling ICE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭oinkely

September1 wrote: »
    Currently the biggest issue I have now after owing EV is refueling ICE.

100% agree - i now detest filling up the van - it's dirty, smelly and expensive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

The Toyota ad running every night, end shot showing a cobweb over a charge point with the strapline, "Forget plug in"
    That's just Toyota having very good marketing and emphasising an area that they are good at - Hybrids - since they are behind the curve (Tesla/Nissan/Hyundai/Renault) on BEVs.

However, Toyota is finally pivoting to fully electric:
    After years of trash talking battery electric cars and promoting hydrogen fuel cells, Toyota is in the midst of a major strategy shift. The Japanese automaker is assembling a team to develop a mass-market electric car. Its choice of leader for that team indicates Toyota is taking the project very seriously.

CEO Akio Toyoda — who is also the grandson of company founder Kiichiro Toyoda — will personally lead the electric car team, a Toyota spokesperson told Reuters earlier this week.
    And when they've developed the full-electric car, they'll just change their marketing line from "Forget Plug-in" to "Forget Filling Up".

To me, it makes total sense from their point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

And this is the same month they're launching the Prius Plug-in in this country? Great job, Toyota Ireland :rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Couldn't it just simply be a retaliation from Toyota to the electric car manufacturer who has ads running slating their hybrid models (it goes something like thanks Toyota for starting the revolution now let us take over)

Seems like clever marketing from Toyota, they know rightly that the fully electric isn't quiet there yet so they are prolonging their highly successful hybrid models to those not willing to take on the downsides of the electric car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

I don't find plugging my EV in for the last 4 years to obtain thousands of pounds of free fuel as a "downside"?

I don't find plugging my EV in for the last 4 years to obtain thousands of pounds of free fuel as a "downside"?

You know very well what I meant.

Anyways the campaign is targeted at Irish buyers not UK people like yourself

• Advertisement

It's just pandering to the masses, i.e. most advertising.

In reality, Toyota are not making any new diesels which I think is a brave move. The hybrid versions of the Auris, C-HR, RAV4 and Yaris are selling well. I'd prefer if they targeted diesels in their advertising rather than plug-in vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭ei9go

Surely, it's false advertising to state in the ad that the hybrid runs for up to 50% of the time in EV mode.

This is obviously untrue

ei9go wrote: »
    Surely, it's false advertising to state in the ad that the hybrid runs for up to 50% of the time in EV mode.

This is obviously untrue

Not if you only drive double the real world EV range it isnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

This is obviously untrue

Technically they could've said up to 100% of the time, and they'd still be correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

A lot of EV users are forgetting plug in (public charging). I was at the Enfield eastbound services yesterday and the public charger had been used something like 350 times (based on the kWh on the meter). They have even taken one of the chargers away.

With such under-utilisation (even granted the small numbers of EV's on the road) how can a public network can be sustainable without access to it being extremely expensive.

A lot of EV users are forgetting plug in (public charging). I was at the Enfield eastbound services yesterday and the public charger had been used something like 350 times (based on the kWh on the meter). They have even taken one of the fast chargers away.

With such under-utilisation (even granted the small numbers of EV's on the road) how can a public network can be sustainable without access to it being extremely expensive.
    No they have not.
    What was removed was a SCP or "Standard Charge Point".
    It charges at max of 22kW AC but in reality most cars can take 3-7 kW.

ELM327 wrote: »
    No they have not.
    What was removed was a SCP or "Standard Charge Point".
    It charges at max of 22kW AC but in reality most cars can take 3-7 kW.

Corrected. The point still stands though

Corrected. The point still stands though
    They removed it as they changed a Chademo only unit for an Efacec triple header.
    There may be not enough electricity supply to allow Chademo/CCS taking 50kW, Fast AC taking 43kW and someone using the SCP taking 22kW so they removed it.

I've been in queues at dublin chargepoints which are often 2 cars deep excluding the person charging so your point is invalid.

Hang on, are you the poster with 2 diesels who believes in the NEDC ranges??
    -> checked post history
    => yes it is you, therefore I have no interest in continuing this discussion with you. Thanks and have a great day.

They removed it as they changed a Chademo only unit for an Efacec triple header.
    There may be not enough electricity supply to allow Chademo/CCS taking 50kW, Fast AC taking 43kW and someone using the SCP taking 22kW so they removed it.

I've been in queues at dublin chargepoints which are often 2 cars deep excluding the person charging so your point is invalid.

Hang on, are you the poster with 2 diesels who believes in the NEDC ranges??
    -> checked post history
    => yes it is you, therefore I have no interest in continuing this discussion with you. Thanks and have a great day.

Not enough electricity at a brand new MSA, that doesn't bode well for a roll out of more fast chargers on existing infrastructure.

That's not a great advertisement for EV if you are sometimes waiting an hour and a half to continue your journey

This is obviously untrue

In mixed driving, it sounds about right. I can reliably get around 40% in my previous generation Prius in normal hybrid mode (I have the plug-in, but in hybrid mode with low SOC it operates pretty much the same as the 3rd gen Prius). The new ones are more efficient again.

I drove from Limerick to Cork (about 95km recorded, 16km motorway, avg. speed 71 km/h) and 25% of the time was EV driving. At lower speeds (e.g. urban driving), 40-50% EV is much more likely - possibly more in heavy traffic.
    Not if you only drive double the real world EV range it isnt.

There's no real defined EV range when driving the car normally. I assume it's talking about how often the ICE is off when driving, i.e. the "EV" icon is illuminated, not actual "EV Mode" (operated by button) which isn't that practical to use (maybe for parking manoeuvres). The small traction battery is regularly charged from regen, and from the ICE either when the SOC reaches low threshold or is efficient to do so.

• Advertisement

Not enough electricity at a brand new MSA, that doesn't bode well for a roll out of more fast chargers on existing infrastructure.

That's not a great advertisement for EV if you are sometimes waiting an hour and a half to continue your journey
    yes it is you, therefore I have no interest in continuing this discussion with you. Thanks, enjoy your fossil cars and have a great day.

Im confused

@ 2.30pm
    therefore I have no interest in continuing this discussion with you. Thanks and have a great day.

@3pm
    yes it is you, therefore I have no interest in continuing this discussion with you. Thanks, enjoy your fossil cars and have a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

Im confused

@ 2.30pm

@3pm

oppenheimer1 is a troll basically, better off not engaging.

You know very well what I meant.

Anyways the campaign is targeted at Irish buyers not UK people like yourself
    Sorry, I don't really know what you mean. If I'm not Irish, maybe I should call the Passport office??

Just a footnote on hybrids.

BBC radio pointing out that hybrids wil be banned 5 years after ice vehicles in the UK.

Interesting that they mentioned a number of companies , having bought hybrids for fleet vehicles,only to find the staff can't be bothered switching over to electric,sure it's the company paying for the diesel.

Resulting in them driving around a very heavy battery,they're not using,and polluting as much as ice cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭creedp

Maybe the company should ask their pampered employees to contribute to cost of fuel. It would be amazing how quickly they would become interested in environmentally friendly EV propulsion. Just shows many people have feck all interest in the environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Did they mean PHEVs?

There was a wave of PHEVs bought in the UK because they didn't pay BIK on company cars for a while

You're correct that a lot of those cars never got charged. I think that there was some gap where employees didn't get the charger grant and companies weren't bothered paying for it

And since they got free petrol and nobody was enforcing a minimum amount of electric miles, they were just driven as petrol cars

They removed the BIK exemption a few years ago and suddenly there was a flood of PHEVs on the market

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Probably not worth getting angry about, like other EV drivers you know better than Toyota who are only making EVs because they're basically being forced to

The market knows where the future is. EV sales doubling year after year, diesel's on the way out and petrol and hybrids will be next

By 2030 most new car sales will be EV or PHEV (a proper PHEV with more than 30km electric range and fast charging)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Agreed,thanks for that,think you meant 300 km range..I've worked with lithium batteries for many decades and never been a fan of fast charging,but wouldn't want to cross threads,or swords.

• Advertisement

Well said, Your right to say some folk are almost anti EVs, as can be witness around these parts,where Ecar N.I deliberately only painted one of the two bays,not indicating to Ice drivers,that they were blocking a charge point bay..But if you pointed it out to some Ice blockers,they could get hostile very quickly..

Haven't seen roadside checks on diesel cars in decades,to see if its red.!

Advertisement