Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best day for Traffic in Dublin?

Options
  • 12-06-2017 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭

I've started a new job in Dublin city centre and cycle most days.
    However, I need to drive on one day to bring suits in etc. - is there a day that is quieter than others in general?

Anyone with experience commuting have an answer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,168 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Friday or Monday tend to be the quieter days.
    Tuesday seems to the worst.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Friday or Monday tend to be the quieter days.
    Tuesday seems to the worst.

Really? I'm surprised. Day of the week does not have much, if any, effect in my experience. What is going on with the schools, whether there is a bank holiday in the vicinity and what month of the year it is seem like larger factors.

What makes the biggest difference though is weather. The roads tend to be jammed if it is raining which makes them bad for cycling but probably worse to drive. Unfortunately a nice sunny day is ideal for cycling but is probably the best day to drive your suits in.

One thing to think about is using a dry cleaners near your work if there is one. You can basically get away with never bringing your suits and shirts home if that's a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭bren2001

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Really? I'm surprised. Day of the week does not have much, if any, effect in my experience. What is going on with the schools, whether there is a bank holiday in the vicinity and what month of the year it is seem like larger factors.

What makes the biggest difference though is weather. The roads tend to be jammed if it is raining which makes them bad for cycling but probably worse to drive. Unfortunately a nice sunny day is ideal for cycling but is probably the best day to drive your suits in.

One thing to think about is using a dry cleaners near your work if there is one. You can basically get away with never bringing your suits and shirts home if that's a possibility.

Certainly not my experience. I've always found Monday and Friday (in particular) to have very light traffic. Tue-Thursday to be heavy enough with Tuesday being bumper to bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭GBX

There is not one day I could rely on as being any quieter than the others. But bear in mind school holidays are coming shortly so roads will be quieter for that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Id say friday people seem to take it off for long weekends its much quieter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,413 ✭✭✭✭Victor

More people will tend to take Mondays and Fridays off than midweek days.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

I rarely drive Mondays, but the odd time I have, its been much quieter. From the other days, Tuesday is by far the worst, with Friday being ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Anyone working a 4 day week is probably taking the Monday or Friday off as opposed to a Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday so that might explain the lower traffic numbers on those days.

I definitely agree that Mondays and Fridays have less traffic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭Glebee

I am usually in dublin one day a week. Fridays would be my prefered day of travel with traffic being quiter. Usually works out i travel on a tuesday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Agree that Tuesday is usually the worst, but I flew in this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,168 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

HivemindXX wrote: »

I think that pattern is there, certainly the weather and if the schools are off affect the the volumes of traffic in a week ... as in a July Tuesday could have lighter traffic than a November Monday.
    But I also see a pattern that within any given week, Monday and Friday have less volumes than middle of the week. It would be rare for a November Monday to have heavier traffic than a November Tuesday.

If you're not seeing that pattern maybe you're on a route that sees extra Monday and Friday traffic from people coming in and out of Dublin for the weekend?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭iHungry

Friday morning traffic is always light but Friday afternoon/evening is always heavy somehow 🤔🤔

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

bren2001 wrote: »
    Certainly not my experience. I've always found Monday and Friday (in particular) to have very light traffic. Tue-Thursday to be heavy enough with Tuesday being bumper to bumper.

+1. Tuesday AM into town, Thursday PM heading out are always worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Friday is ALWAYS quieter in my opinion. And looking at Google or AA, there is always less jam on a Friday morning than other mornings. Now the evening is worse on the way out of Dublin but the dynamic is different as a sizable chunk of people aren't going home, they're going home-home, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Friday morning is by far the quietest, but Friday evening is the worst! Monday pretty quiet too usually. That all goes out the window if it rains! But I'd pick either of those days to drive for sure. I usually get the bus but taking advantage of some of the partners here being on holidays and using their parking spaces at the moment. Obviously summertime traffic is always gonna be light, but I got from Drimnagh to Baggot Street this morning in less than 20 minutes. Midweek last week it was taking me just under 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Friday morning is by far the quietest, but Friday evening is the worst! Monday pretty quiet too usually. That all goes out the window if it rains! But I'd pick either of those days to drive for sure. I usually get the bus but taking advantage of some of the partners here being on holidays and using their parking spaces at the moment. Obviously summertime traffic is always gonna be light, but I got from Drimnagh to Baggot Street this morning in less than 20 minutes. Midweek last week it was taking me just under 30 mins.

Yep, drove in on Friday and flew in. Disaster getting home. Think I'll just use a dry cleaner close by and never drive - cant handle the stress of it

Advertisement