Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiggle pricing

Options
  • 12-06-2017 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭

I know there was discussion on CRC about pricing in UK and Ireland being radically different. I notice Wiggle are hoors for it now. Bikesy.co.uk gives me bargain alerts, then I click through to the offer and if it's a wiggle product the price is way higher. For example backpacks today for about 40 pounds were 12 pounds dearer to buy from Ireland.

I complained with their live chat and got nowhere. Has anyone successfully managed to get them to stick to the cheaper price?

I know I can use parcel motel but they charge obviously.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Wiggle own CRC now so they are interchangeable in many ways. They stopped the price difference for a while after a lot of complaints but it snook back in. There was a lengthy thread on it here a while back. I believe Beasty has a lot of interaction with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It is illegal under EU law! It's a common market and you should not be discriminated against on price by being an Irish purchaser. The only difference should be VAT differences (20% in UK and 23% here, no VAT on helmets in UK, etc) and where applicable, currency conversion margins (eg ?GB/EUR)

You should email and complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

"Thank you for getting in touch regarding our prices. I have looked into this for you and confirm that the prices displayed are correct.

We take great pride in the prices we pass on to our loyal customers but to do so, we need to be as up to speed on the current market as much as a possible. This also means being fluid with our pricing to make sure that we pass on the best possible price, which is why you might find colours or sizes of the same item at differing prices. This is not a mistake nor solely a Wiggle practice, but does mean that you always get the best price we can offer.

This may not be the desired result and we?re sorry if this doesn?t suit, but you?ll be pleased to know that our prices are consistently lower and you can expect to continue to receive member discounts and sale prices on a regular basis.

I hope this helps."

Nothing like a bit of customer service clarity eh. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I sent a message around the time the sterling originally dropped last November and got pretty much the same reply. I pushed it a bit further saying my brother who lives in England could buy stuff cheaper than I could in Ireland when I have the platinum discount, was pretty much told that they price them competitively in each market, doesn't mean the same price in both (can't find the email but this was the jist of it). The eventually did adjust the prices to bring them in line with the currency changes but it took a few weeks and didn't last long either. I had my eye on a bike at the time so the difference was around 300 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

The industry I work in is moving massively to dynamic pricing, this will be the next big thing (and is in some places already) on the net.

What is the absolutely maximum someone can be charged without them walking away....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Well, its set fair for someone to set up an 'Irish Wiggle' after Brexit kicks in. Whatever about having as soft an exit as possible, expect to be paying a premium on CRC/Wiggle stock in a couple of years. It would be handy then for an Irish company to set up and match the German outlets.

Come to think of it, now that the CRC founders have sold off their lot, I wouldn't be surprised to see them using their experience up North and set up something down here, also trading with the rest of the EU.

Did the CRC owners sniff Brexit was going to happen when they sold in early 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Well, its set fair for someone to set up an 'Irish Wiggle' after Brexit kicks in. Whatever about having as soft an exit as possible, expect to be paying a premium on CRC/Wiggle stock in a couple of years. It would be handy then for an Irish company to set up and match the German outlets.

Come to think of it, now that the CRC founders have sold off their lot, I wouldn't be surprised to see them using their experience up North and set up something down here, also trading with the rest of the EU.

Did the CRC owners sniff Brexit was going to happen when they sold in early 2016?

Aqua Blue is looking to become big players in the market place although not as direct as Wiggle/CRC as they are a market place similar to Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

For more expensive items I find the German retailers can match if not better CRC and Wiggle on most items and including the shipping cost.

CRC and Wiggle sell all over the world and I'd imagine the irish market is fairly small so I can't see them giving in on this one.

It's always worthwhile to check out Evans, Merlin, PBK, Tredz and Total Cycling too as in a lot of instances theylll price match the UK displayed price and so the CRC/Wiggle price discrepancy between Ireland and UK is negated.

Typical waffle/PR response from Wiggle. There is no basis for them changing higher in Ireland (and it's not just Ireland where there are pricing variances) where they do not have a physical presence here.

They are just gouging on price and that is illegal under EU distance selling rules. The other stores listed by Cee Jay don't do it, only CRC/Wiggle. Better value on most lots of things and more transparent pricing from Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Quickest way around this is to pay in sterling, with delivery to U.K. (Parcel motel, Addresspal etc)

Pay using Revolut

Get the UK prices and not getting fleeced by the FX rates the banks charge

• Advertisement

What you say makes sense for small packages via localised uk address but not for large items, like bikes, trainers or wheels due to surcharge or volumetric pricing.
    People can use revolut if they wish or just their own c card, and pay in £GBP. The difference between cc margin and revolut margin is not that much for small sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Their FX rates are actually quite fair, rare for ecommerce sites that do you the favour.

PM is tempting for CRC but you just cant beat their fast dispatch direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If your looking for a back pack I recently got the dhb 30l splice and highly recommend it.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-slice-30l-rucksack/

Advertisement