Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burying waste - legal or illegal?

• 12-06-2017 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

I hope this is the best place for this question. If anyone has a suggestion for a better forum let me know.

Is it legal for a farmer to dump a lot of mixed waste (plastic, metal, old kitchen cabinets, car parts etc) on his own land within feet of a river and bury it?

If not, can somebody tell me exactly which laws are being broken?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I hope this is the best place for this question. If anyone has a suggestion for a better forum let me know.

Is it legal for a farmer to dump a lot of mixed waste (plastic, metal, old kitchen cabinets, car parts etc) on his own land within feet of a river and bury it?

Thanks.

I would suggest you call the Environment section/Environmental Enforcement at your County Council and have a chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Thanks.

It's illegal.
    Several laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Thanks.

In breach of 1996 Waste Mgt Act.
    Possibly in breach of Water Pollution Act. Would require investigation.

If this happened go onto the EPA website and make an anonymous report giving all the details or else inform your local authority.
    Your anonymity will be protected just make sure you give all the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

It's legal.
    Several laws.

Can you be more specific about those laws?

Can you be more specific about those laws?
    Section 39 of the waste management act.

you've disposed of (buried) waste (its waste as you discarded it) in a hole in a field (certainly not a licensed facility (e.g. landfill or an incinerator)
    some serious penalties for offences.

is this you burying the waste, or someone you suspect of doing so.
    if the former, you might get away with it. if youre caught, you're in a heap of trouble. and you'd be a scumbag. just get a couple of skips.
    if the latter, complain to the local authority. use a made up name if you want.

you may also fall foul of Section 3 of the Water Pollution Act. But the crap has to actually go into the river. this is most likely how you might be caught though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Section 39 of the waste management act.

you've disposed of (buried) waste (its waste as you discarded it) in a hole in a field (certainly not a licensed facility (e.g. landfill or an incinerator)
    some serious penalties for offences.

is this you burying the waste, or someone you suspect of doing so.
    if the former, you might get away with it. if youre caught, you're in a heap of trouble. and you'd be a scumbag. just get a couple of skips.
    if the latter, complain to the local authority. use a made up name if you want.

you may also fall foul of Section 3 of the Water Pollution Act. But the crap has to actually go into the river. this is most likely how you might be caught though!

Right, I was fairly certain it was illegal. Fairly pivotal typo there, Roger!

Just to be 100% clear I am most emphatically NOT the person dumping rubbish. I have put in a lot of time dragging baling plastic and bits of bicycles out of the same river over the last year or two and I'm generally regarded as a bit of an eccentric tree-hugging, nature-loving, bleeding-heart type.

I have videos of the dumping taking place because I'm sneaky like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Just to be 100% clear I am most emphatically NOT the person dumping rubbish. I have put in a lot of time dragging baling plastic and bits of bicycles out of the same river over the last year or two and I'm generally regarded as a bit of an eccentric tree-hugging, nature-loving, bleeding-heart type.

Make sure that the video/pictures have nothing of you in them, sound etc, if you wish to remain anonymous . It's amazing what they give out to an foi request. Also following that be careful about proving your trespass, if any.

Ha! Fairly pivotal all right!
    Was thinking how this does this guy think this is still legal, then re read my post...
    morto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

Hi OP.
    If you want to report it use the EPAs See it Say it app. It allows you to report and upload pics with the location tagged.As far as I know the council then have to act on it..which I expect they will if the EPA are involved.

Advertisement