Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUB-CDG: what choices/options to reduce hassle, improve comfort?

Options
  • 12-06-2017 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭

Scenario: 70 year old solo pax, travelling DUB-CDG in August, has flown many times before, but not well up on aviation/options/extras

My query is as follows: I would like to know what extras/options/choices are available to reduce hassle, make the flight easier?

This is what I'm thinking so far:
    • pay for ST car park
    • pay for airport security fast track - should we buy this separate or from EI?
    • EI flight - would AF or Cityjet be worth considering?
    • pay for priority boarding
    • pay for seat allocation

Other info:
    person is not too price sensitive
    person is not familiar with smartphones/web

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Is there business class on any DUB-CDG flights?

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

AF and Cityjet are the same thing - AF flights are operated by Cityjet except on extremely rare and unexpected occasions. They are more likely to not operate due to the now quite aging and never that reliable Avros (still a very small chance) and the seats on them are rather uncomfortably small. You do get a drink and a sandwich or snack though which some older passengers may expect from the past.

They offer business class but it consists of the middle seat not being sold and better food/drinks.

Seat allocation on EI would require someone to check them in and print the boarding pass, its free closer to the flight date and can also be done free at the airport. As far as I remember its close to the same on AF - I only few the route on Thursday but can't remember exactly!

Buying fast track off the airline should ensure its on the boarding pass and not need another number/sheet of paper. EI don't have priority boarding, AF do for business class and flex ticket holders.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

This first thing I would do to reduce hassle is ensure you have check in luggage. This makes the airport experience and especially security and boarding the flight 10x times easier in my experience. Check in luggage can be added for a fee on Low fare option tickets with EI, there are other ticket options that include it however.
    I believe it's included on all fare types with AF/Cityjet.
    Checking in a bag in T2 with EI is very fast and easy to do, I'm not familiar with check in for AF.
    I love to travel through the airport as hands free as possible, it makes security a breeze and shopping/ eating in the terminal simple not to mention a stress free boarding where you have no worries about finding space for carry-on bags in the overhead lockers etc.

Check for AF/KL isn't great - they have even got rid of the self-checkin terminals (at least temporarily). Four desks, one for Sky Priority (business etc) and it should be 2 for checkin 1 for bag drop but was running all 3 for either last week

The overheads in the middle of the Cityjet planes are large enough for a laptop bag and nothing else - the wing spar reduces them to uselessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Does this person have to do CDG? Transavia to Orly might be nicest of all – I flew them a while back and they were great.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    Does this person have to do CDG? Transavia to Orly might be nicest of all – I flew them a while back and they were great.

Orly is great location but the schedule on this route is crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Locker10a wrote: »
    Orly is great location but the schedule on this route is crap

I'd prefer to use the word "limited". The one daily flight has been quite convenient for me in the past. Maybe in time the frequency will be increased?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

my vote would also go for Orly. I was there years ago, it seemed very nice and relaxed. CDG is a monster, very easy to get lost between all the terminals and what not. I once took the terminal connecting train in the wrong direction, nearly missed my flight

martinsvi wrote: »
    my vote would also go for Orly. I was there years ago, it seemed very nice and relaxed. CDG is a monster, very easy to get lost between all the terminals and what not. I once took the terminal connecting train in the wrong direction, nearly missed my flight

The last time I was in orly i have to say it wasn't great at all, there was a serious amount of building work going on, it seemed half the terminal was under construction and this did not simplify the transit. Due to the construction many gates were blocked off, this resulted in boarding via a bus, which ground staff packed like a sardine can, we were held on this bus for 40 MINUTES, I kid you not, before we were released to board. Not a pleasant experience, this was about 2 months ago, I've no idea how long this construction is going on for.
    The main thing Orly has going for it is its location to Paris. To be honest none of the Paris airports are great, I find CDG ok, Orly will be better I'm sure once building work is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I wish to thank everybody for their replies.

I will read them all soon, and may revert with questions.

I hadn't considered Orly, as during the previous visits to Paris, CDG has always been used.

I have never heard of Transavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Dublin airport platinum services. ?185

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Baybay

When we travelled with my mother, we used the OS ( I think I've got it right!) service in the airport. Mum was transported through the terminal on a little golf buggy type vehicle. We also booked a wheelchair for her between the terminal & the plane. She had poor eyesight but could walk well enough however all that walking & then the steps to the plane were too much for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

If not price sensitive I would book business with Air France - you get all the bells and whistles - fast track, priority boarding, use of the lounge, allocated seat up front, newspapers, food drinks, 2 bags.... if you were to fly Aer Lingus and add all those things on, the price may not be that much different and there's no extras on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thanks.

I sort of made the booking in a bit of a rush just there, it's now for Easter 2018.

DUB-CDG with EI, out on Good Friday 30-Mar at 9:40, back the following Fri 6-Apr.

I went for the "middle" EI fare, which includes advance seat selection, priority boarding and a 20kg bag.

255 return.

The top EI fare includes flex tickets, security fast track + lounge.

Maybe I will add security fast track later.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

My serious advice would be to avoid CDG completely. Orly or even Beauvais would be better.

Beauvais!! Good one lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

L1011 wrote: »
    AF and Cityjet are the same thing - AF flights are operated by Cityjet except on extremely rare and unexpected occasions. They are more likely to not operate due to the now quite aging and never that reliable Avros (still a very small chance) and the seats on them are rather uncomfortably small.

Can you please expand on the small seats? The seat pitch on the RJs is 31 inches and the seats are 18 inches wide. That is larger than Aer Lingus 320 seats which are 17. I've flown cityjet more than a few times and the seats & comfort is the last thing I'd complain about.

Anyway AF are taking over more control of the DUB route and conducting the trip more often, there are quite a few dates now when you go to book that you can see they have the A318 on some of the flights instead rather than constant last minute scrambles which was the case in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

AF and Cityjet are the same thing - AF flights are operated by Cityjet except on extremely rare and unexpected occasions. They are more likely to not operate due to the now quite aging and never that reliable Avros (still a very small chance) and the seats on them are rather uncomfortably small.
    The Aer Lingus fleet of A320's is now getting long in the tooth, with a significant number now been pre'2005 and with no definitive plans been announced in regard of their future replacement.

1123heavy wrote: »
    Can you please expand on the small seats? The seat pitch on the RJs is 31 inches and the seats are 18 inches wide. That is larger than Aer Lingus 320 seats which are 17. I've flown cityjet more than a few times and the seats & comfort is the last thing I'd complain about.

Anyway AF are taking over more control of the DUB route and conducting the trip more often, there are quite a few dates now when you go to book that you can see they have the A318 on some of the flights instead rather than constant last minute scrambles which was the case in the past.

The figures for seat size on seatguru are inaccurate. The seats are significantly narrower than an a320.

Most airlines use 5 across in 146/RJs due to the width

Most of the flights are now AF mainline or Hop rather than Cityjet when originally posted

Advertisement