Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firing range and stag do's, parties etc

Options
  • 12-06-2017 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

Can someone tell me whats the legality of stag-do, hen-do's etc using guns in firing ranges where they wouldn't be licenced to use a firearm in the way that we would? I mean I cant loan my gun to anybody as it would be a breach of my licence so how do firing ranges get around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Covered by section 2(4)(d). Raised it with the DoJ a while back, they consider it to be legal so long as a specific procedure is followed, namely this one:
    Sparks wrote: »
    After discussing this topic with the DoJ, we were able to outline the procedure for legally allowing people to shoot with unrestricted firearms (rifle, shotgun and pistol); but there is no legal way for that to happen with restricted firearms.

For the curious, the procedure is that it has to be on an authorised range, with club firearms, given to non-club members who have to either get instruction or be approved by a club instructor (and they have to use that firearm regularly or be re-certified). The club rules, the club insurance and the range licence conditions all have to allow for it as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

So can I use my buddies 22 or can it only be a club rifle once everything else is covered?

If you're a club member, you can use it; if you're not a club member, then no, it's not covered (unless it's designated as a club rifle).

Note; this is for a very specific use case - namely corporate shoots and the like, where people coming in are not club members and are using club firearms on the range. The normal use case, where a club member is using a firearm, is covered by section 2(4)(d) and always has been.

The only reason the club membership rule is now a factor was the introduction of the rules on clubs and ranges; there's a discussion on it a while back in here somewhere from when the 2004 bill was being introduced (and IIRC the problem wasn't the person using it - 2(4)(d) still covers them - but the club that allowed it, because it's a non-member).

Edit: Found the original discussion, it's actually from after the 2004 bill became the 2006 act and the ranges and clubs SIs were drafted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

I thought I could borrow my buddies rifle once he was with me on his range. Obviously I can't so.

I thought I could borrow my buddies rifle once he was with me on his range. Obviously I can't so.
    Not if you're not a member of the range, no.
    You can use a club rifle though.
    And if his rifle happens to also be a club rifle, you're covered (assuming that the range itself hasn't got a rule against this - some do because of insurance issues).

• Advertisement
Advertisement