Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing IBT and test before purchasing bike

• 12-06-2017 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

I'm twenty and have been driving a car three years. I'm wondering is it a difficult task to complete IBT training for the A2 licence (Modules 1, 3 and 5) and then take and pass the test without owning your own bike. Is this something people rarely do? My reasoning is that I'd rather become a safe competent rider before I invest in a bike and end up damaging it and/or hurting myself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Scirpt wrote: »
    I'm twenty and have been driving a car three years. I'm wondering is it a difficult task to complete IBT training for the A2 licence (Modules 1, 3 and 5) and then take and pass the test without owning your own bike. Is this something people rarely do? My reasoning is that I'd rather become a safe competent rider before I invest in a bike and end up damaging it and/or hurting myself.

Do the IBT but then you have to wait 6 months to do the test. I wouldn't recommend it, the 6 months is there to allow time to learn and become a safe and competent rider, you won't gain much doing the odd lesson. Putting down the miles is the best way to learn, the 1000s you'd spend on renting a bike and doing lessons would be best spent on a cheap bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

do the ibt first then buy a bike and use that to pass your test

Scirpt wrote: »

That's what I did but driving for 10 years, 1 year on moped years ago and ridden dirt bikes a bit growing up. Personally I wouldn't recommend it in your case because of the extra experience I had using moped on the road was very useful.

It can be done though.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

It'll either be very hard or expensive to pass the test without your own bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

zubair wrote: »
    Do the IBT but then you have to wait 6 months to do the test. I wouldn't recommend it, the 6 months is there to allow time to learn and become a safe and competent rider, you won't gain much doing the odd lesson. Putting down the miles is the best way to learn, the 1000s you'd spend on renting a bike and doing lessons would be best spent on a cheap bike.

I agree, besides half the fun is learning to ride, just take it easy and you'll be fine. Plus you'll need to ride a few bikes to get a feel for what you like. I am on my third now in 18 months.

And don't even think about falling or damaging a bike, if you think like that it will happen, think about avoiding damaging or falling off it in the first place!

Also with lessons on the bike, you'll find that you can be mentally tired after going out and loads of information going around. It's good to have your own bike to go out in a day or two and try out again, what was mentioned. Or even just to have your own bike, to start off at your own pace, I literally just drove around my housing estate getting a feel then out to local roads, you can't do that without your own.

• Advertisement
Advertisement