Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can someone help? [speed bump gear?]

Options
  • 12-06-2017 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hello sorry if it was asked before, but i was told my my instructor to go over bumps in 2nd gear in a test. and i told my dad about it and he done it to renew his licence and he failed because of the gears the instructor said at the test. anyone who has done the driving test, can you tell me what is correct? when going over a bump? thank you

mallow test center cork.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Gear doesn't matter, speed does. The two are related, but depends on car. Depends on the bump. 2nd is fine for most, maybe 3rd for real shallow ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

It depends on the speed your doing more than anything else not a specific gear, depending on the bump you may need to drop to first I'd assume most speed bumps you would have to, unless they are very small. It's about driving appropriately to what's ahead and around you. Slow down enough that you'll pass over the bump smoothly and be the correct gear that the car isn't cutting out

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sergiut11

it was 30km/hr around that 2nd gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sergiut11

i suppose its the car too.. it was a bmw 320d. felt heavy i suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

sergiut11 wrote: »
    it was 30km/hr around that 2nd gear.

30km in my view and for most speed bumps around my area would seem fast for going over bumps. My car would be very rough going over a speed hump at that speed but it all depends on the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

The road I live on is has loads of bumps on it because it is next to a park. I asked two different instructors how to drive down it, the first said 3rd is fine, the second said 2nd gear only. He said as a general rule of thumb I shouldn't be in 3rd until I hit 40km an hour, and I wouldn't be going over the bumps in 40. I must say it does feel smoother in 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would suggest 2nd is best.
    Slow down enough before the bump to make it necessary to slip into 2nd and drive over without discomfort to your passenger.

Experience will tell you how fast you can take various bumps, but until then slow down and use 2nd.

my2cents

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

It's going to depend on the speed ramp itself, Some you can go over in second at 20km or so, Others would put you in hospital if you hit them at 20km/h.

With speed ramps, it's a visual situation as there are many different types and sizes.

Advertisement