Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trumatic boiler not staying alight

Options
  • 12-06-2017 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Can anyone offer advice?
    I recently got my campervan out of winter storage and was checking the boiler. It is a Trumatic C3400 (circa 1998 - 2000 possibly). When I turn it on to heat the water, it goes through it's lighting up sequence and the gas lights, then 5 seconds later it cuts out and the red LED on the small control panel comes on. I have it set just on water heating not space heating, and it makes no difference whether the temperature switch is set to 40C or 60C.

I have checked that there is water in the boiler, checked the flue for blockages, checked the gas supply - both the gas hob and fridge run ok, installed a new regulator on the gas bottle. The start sequence goes - fan on, gas solenoid clicks open, igniter sparks several times, and gas ignites with the usual quiet thumps. It then runs for 5 seconds and cuts out, the red LED comes on. I can feel it firing up with my hand over the flue outlet.

It always did take a couple of attempts to get it to stay on, but now it just fails. I am thinking that it might be a faulty flame failure sensor. Would anyone have had a similar experience or offer any advice.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Plaides

Thanks for details on the pcb contact.

In fact the pcb was ok, and the problem is the flame rectification electrode is not giving the pcb a signal that the flame is 'on'.

My problem now is how to get access to the electrode to clean it. Is it possible to get at it from dismantling the top of the C3400 or do I have to remove the boiler/heater from the camper. It all looks very tight in there with limited access.

Any advice would be great.
    Thanks.

afaik youd have to remove the boiler to get at it, i have an old one if you want to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Plaides

Thanks Karmaan.

I did remove the boiler and found the flame rectification electrode was badly corroded as were the ignition electrodes. I cleaned them up and re-installed the boiler which is functioning now. It's a very awkward job given the lack of access. Judging by the state of the various fixings etc., I don't think the boiler has ever been serviced and the camper is 17 years old.

Thanks again for the help.

good result,
    the green paint peels off the alu vessel and you can get a leak around the o ring on the manifold, it can be sandblasted and resprayed
    i sent mine to germany as it wouldnt fire after the refurb, your man replaced the 2 grey wires going from the pcb to the burner, pricey but a lot less than a replacement boiler.
    good luck with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement