Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st class honours or not??

• 12-06-2017 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi, wondering if anyone can help here. My OH has just completed a 4 year conversion degree. The last year being split over 2 years. He received his results today. So for the first half of this year (which was 3rd year), his overall result was 69.66%. The second half of this year (4th year) he got bang on 70%. So we think he's just made his first class honours. However, he's worried that as the 69.66 is not technically 70% they will penalise him and give him a 2.1 instead? I always though they had to round the percentage up in this instance??? Anyone have any insight into whether this would be a 1.1 or a 2.1 result??

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

It happened to me for a course before. I checked out the college policy and basically it was discretionary to round up. Depends on how many 1st classes there are too (to fit the bell shape and all that).
    If he winds up with 2.1 then maybe he could appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ReadySteadyGo

I have previously heard that the college I went to reviews borderline cases like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Do they do viva voces on his course for the borderline cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Thie grade is normally decided at the exam board meeting. A chat with the course coordinator is the best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Lizardlegz wrote: »
    Hi, wondering if anyone can help here. My OH has just completed a 4 year conversion degree. The last year being split over 2 years. He received his results today. So for the first half of this year (which was 3rd year), his overall result was 69.66%. The second half of this year (4th year) he got bang on 70%. So we think he's just made his first class honours. However, he's worried that as the 69.66 is not technically 70% they will penalise him and give him a 2.1 instead? I always though they had to round the percentage up in this instance??? Anyone have any insight into whether this would be a 1.1 or a 2.1 result??

Thanks!
              Any idea why they did not give an overall grade?  It seems odd to get a set of results and the overall outcome not to be clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Powerhouse wrote: »
              Any idea why they did not give an overall grade?  It seems odd to get a set of results and the overall outcome not to be clear.

This.

If they are results at the end of a programme it is very unusual the overall grade is not included.

Advertisement