Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Road closures

Options
  • 12-06-2017 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭

Following a recent discovery, the Military Road was closed today between the Sally Gap and Laragh. It seems more remains have been found by Loch Bray today so if you're thinking of hitting the hills tomorrow keep in mind that the road may be closed.

http://www.thejournal.ie/gardai-wicklow-remains-3439787-Jun2017/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

to be closed for a week, according to some news sources. Not belittling the seriousness of what's going on but it seems extreme to pretty much shut the whole of military road down?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

1bryan wrote: »
    to be closed for a week, according to some news sources. Not belittling the seriousness of what's going on but it seems extreme to pretty much shut the whole of military road down?

Maybe it'll show drivers how little they need to be there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Maybe it'll show drivers how little they need to be there

I don't think many people, drivers or cyclists, need to be there.

Sarz91 wrote: »
    I don't think many people, drivers or cyclists, need to be there.

there are businesses in the area that will be decimated by this. They always take a hit in the winter months when the road is impassible, but tend to make up for it this time of year with the amount of walkers, cyclists, sunday drivers, etc.

No one 'needs' to be there, but it's a national park. An amenity available to be enjoyed by anyone who wants.

Closing 20 miles of road just seems a bit OTT.

Ironically, there'll have been a lot less cyclists up that road since the botch job they made resurfacing from Lough Bre to Sally Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Was up there on the bike for the first time ever on Sunday. Given the amount of cars/vans etc. which would be required for search and forensic examination it would probably render the route impassable for cars anyway, so better to announce a closure than force people to turn back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

there are businesses in the area that will be decimated by this. They always take a hit in the winter months when the road is impassible, but tend to make up for it this time of year with the amount of walkers, cyclists, sunday drivers, etc.

No one 'needs' to be there, but it's a national park. An amenity available to be enjoyed by anyone who wants.

Closing 20 miles of road just seems a bit OTT.

Ironically, there'll have been a lot less cyclists up that road since the botch job they made resurfacing from Lough Bre to Sally Gap.

I don't disagree. My point was that it seems a bit ridiculous to say "Maybe it'll show drivers how little they need to be there". Very few people NEED to be there. The whole thing irritates me. Motorists saying cyclists shouldn't be on certain roads (motorways the obvious exception) and cyclists saying the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

RIP to the poor soul whatever the circumstance of this crime is. I think the road closures are perfectly justified and hopefully the extensive searchs being carried out by AGS and the Defence Forces will yield results in finding the full body and hopefully the perpetrators of this awful crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not really sure what they can do, given the circumstances? There's not really options to re-open sections once checked. Think I want whoever did this caught and suck up a weeks closure tbh.

Notwithstanding potential knock on effects of people not visiting the area (not sure too many just go to see glenmacnass/ the gap), there's not really that many businesses affected from Laragh to Sally Gap is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Not really sure what they can do, given the circumstances? There's not really options to re-open sections once checked. Think I want whoever did this caught and suck up a weeks closure tbh.

Notwithstanding potential knock on effects of people not visiting the area (not sure too many just go to see glenmacnass/ the gap), there's not really that many businesses affected from Laragh to Sally Gap is there?

I don't think so. Bar the waterfall that stretch of road is some glorious isolation.

I'm guessing the closures will run from the turnoffs for Glencree all the way down to Laragh meaning the Featherbeds will still be accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I think getting to the bottom of this crime and catching the people who killed and then chopped up a person is more important than been able to drive or cycle or run down a bloody road. I'm sure the business in the location will understand and if people want to get to laragh, they can go in other directions

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    I don't think so. Bar the waterfall that stretch of road is some glorious isolation.

I'm guessing the closures will run from the turnoffs for Glencree all the way down to Laragh meaning the Featherbeds will still be accessible.

the road is closed from featherbeds, all the way to Laragh. I'm sure it's possible to pass through sally gap from kilbride/roundwood sides, but you can't turn towards glencree or laragh.

The cafes around glencree and those around Laragh get most of their business from people visiting the mountains for recreational purposes. Will probably affect Roundwood also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The businesses will also probably get by with the increased number of gardai, reporters, defences forces etc looking for their feed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Sarz91 wrote: »
    I don't disagree. My point was that it seems a bit ridiculous to say "Maybe it'll show drivers how little they need to be there". Very few people NEED to be there. The whole thing irritates me. Motorists saying cyclists shouldn't be on certain roads (motorways the obvious exception) and cyclists saying the same.

Perhaps I was being facetious.

Drivers tend to act like they DO need to be there e.g. doing close passes immediately before pulling in to appreciate the view.

No one NEEDS to be there is exactly my point.

FWIW I believe that for non residents the area should be treated like a nature reserve for access purposes rather than like a very pretty dual carriageway.

That also means that I agree a murder investigation has to be given a lot of leeway when you consider the majority of access non essential.

I'm not sure what businesses would be affected by the closures?

Unless there are some non retail businesses up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

The ice-cream stand that I sometimes see in a semi-hallucinatory state between Glenmacnass and the Gap will be badly hit.

the road is closed from featherbeds, all the way to Laragh. I'm sure it's possible to pass through sally gap from kilbride/roundwood sides, but you can't turn towards glencree or laragh.

The cafes around glencree and those around Laragh get most of their business from people visiting the mountains for recreational purposes. Will probably affect Roundwood also.
    I think only Glencree would be significantly affected. Majority of Laragh and Roundwood motorised traffic comes from the N11/ Kilmac.

The Wicklow Gap is still open for Laragh, and the hills above Lough Tay are still accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Out of interest is it possible to cross the gap in the manor Kilbride/ Roundwood direction? Seems a kind of unspecific search in a very specific direction...

Out of interest is it possible to cross the gap in the manor Kilbride/ Roundwood direction? Seems a kind of unspecific search in a very specific direction...
    As far as I'm aware yes - you can cross the Sally Gap, but can't turn for Glencree or Glenmacnass. The Wicklow Tour busses can still dump a load of tourists in the middle of the road at the concrete bridge...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The police work take priority and will take as long as it takes.
    Sorry we won't have access to this for some time but that's some mothers son up there.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

RIP to the poor soul. Let the forensic search be conducted as needs be. He deserves no less than this.

If this was a chemical or oil spill, people would not be asking why the road was closed. There are plenty of other hills in Dublin and Wicklow and this is as good a time for people to explore this wonderful amenity ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    RIP to the poor soul. Let the forensic search be conducted as needs be. He deserves no less than this.

If this was a chemical or oil spill, people would not be asking why the road was closed. There are plenty of other hills in Dublin and Wicklow and this is as good a time for people to explore this wonderful amenity ....

TBF I don't think many folk here are questioning why it was closed. I only started the thread to warn folk if they were planning taking in the Military Road on any upcoming spins. I can't imagine it being too much fun climbing to the Featherbeds and then finding the road closed before you and doing a 180.

Goes without saying that I wish the victim's family a swift closure and applaud the Gards and DF personnel for the work they're doing in what can be pretty hairy conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

P_1 wrote: »
    I can't imagine it being too much fun climbing to the Featherbeds and then finding the road closed before you and doing a 180.
    Cunard road is a great descent

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I went the whole road from rathfanham to laragh early last monday and it was practically deserted, bar the odd van. From the latest press conference given by the garda today, they are looking for anyone with information, suspicions or camera footage on the route since june 2, and the manner in which they think the body parts were disposed off, i dearly hope someone saw something to help find out what happened to that poor woman. My own memory of that day is not great with regards to specifics i.e. vehicles, regs, faces, and i shudder to thimo what i unwittingly passed on the road

Body parts were found in 8 different locations and the Garda say they have never seen anything like this.

I think it now shows justification to close the whole road. Looks like it will be opened up before the weekend now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Body parts were found in 8 different locations and the Garda say they have never seen anything like this.

This forum has not seen anything like this either!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

anyone who has cycled the road recently with a helmet or bike cam, the guards may be interested in your footage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sounds a bit like the ned flanagan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Is there anywhere where the gardai post the route closure or when it opens back up or is it a case of relying on the media?

axer wrote: »
    Is there anywhere where the gardai post the route closure or when it opens back up or is it a case of relying on the media?

AA roadwatch would be your best bet

axer wrote: »

Was up stocking lane this morning and its closed from the viewing point so you cannot even get up to the feather beds. I'd be assuming that would be the case in the other directions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Parts of the poor girl have been found in ten separate locations now, and the Army is out searching.

I think the cafes and ice cream stands are going to get plenty of business; there are probably more people on the mountains than at any other time since the Civil War.

The Gardaí in Bray are asking for anyone who has helmetcam, dashcam or other footage in recent weeks to give them a copy, and for anyone who noticed anything unusual along the Military Road and on to Laragh to talk to them. Officers can be contacted at Bray garda station on 01-666 5300 or the Garda Confidential Line 1800-666-111.

Advertisement