Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Road closures

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Parts of the poor girl

I've read it was a man in his 20ies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Alek wrote: »
    I've read it was a man in his 20ies?

DNA testing since showed it was a female, since named locally asa grandmother from Dublin: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/wicklow-mountains-murder-victim-named-locally-and-remembered-as-loving-grandmother-35825348.html

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭dunleakelleher

1bryan wrote: »
    Closing 20 miles of road just seems a bit OTT.
    ya think?
    some poor sod has just been killed and chopped up. his body parts strewn along the road and you think closing 20 miles of national park road, that in your own post recognizes the road is only used for recreational porpuses is a bit OTT. :eek:
    well, thank god nothing serious happened there.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

ya think?
    some poor sod has just been killed and chopped up. his body parts strewn along the road and you think closing 20 miles of national park road, that in your own post recognizes the road is only used for recreational porpuses is a bit OTT. :eek:
    well, thank god nothing serious happened there.

what the hell is wrong with you? Read what I said, engage your brain to figure out what I meant, then come back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

cython wrote: »

Turned out to be a near neighbour of mine. You never know who you are living by.RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

to be closed for a week, according to some news sources. Not belittling the seriousness of what's going on but it seems extreme to pretty much shut the whole of military road down?

The Military Road from the Featherbeds to Laragh is, to all intents and purposes, a crime scene. Crime scenes have to be preserved until all evidence is collected.
    I don't think, it's, in any way, extreme to close the road to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

what the hell is wrong with you? Read what I said, engage your brain to figure out what I meant, then come back to me.

How can they preserve the scene and search for evidence along the roadway (where it seems the body parts were dust thrown out from a moving car) without closing the road?

You referred to it as OTT. What in your opinion should they do ?

By all accounts what they have done has resulted in finding multiple crime scenes along the closed roadway and at other sites.

A job well done if you ask me and not OTT in the slightest. The victim and her family deserve no less than a full search of the area (which now includes a grave in Wexford and a site at Hell Fire Club) and a thorough investigation for evidence and remains.

There are many more hills and roads in Dublin and Wicklow to drive or cycle on that are not crime scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    How can they preserve the scene and search for evidence along the roadway (where it seems the body parts were dust thrown out from a moving car) without closing the road?

You referred to it as OTT. What in your opinion should they do ?

By all accounts what they have done has resulted in finding multiple crime scenes along the closed roadway and at other sites.

A job well done if you ask me and not OTT in the slightest. The victim and her family deserve no less than a full search of the area (which now includes a grave in Wexford and a site at Hell Fire Club) and a thorough investigation for evidence and remains.

There are many more hills and roads in Dublin and Wicklow to drive or cycle on that are not crime scenes.

yep, all fair enough. Just, I never remember such a long stretch of road being closed for anything other than bad weather before.

And without meaning to be pedantic, from what I can gather from the media coverage, it seems all finds were made by members of the public and not the search teams, but that's somewhat moot.

Anyway, that's the last from me. I expressed a viewpoint, now I'm being attacked (not by you - your post was reasonable, hence my responding).

Obviously, thoughts are with those affected by this.

Cycling-only, from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

yep, all fair enough. Just, I never remember such a long stretch of road being closed for anything other than bad weather before.

How many crimes have such a wide scattering of finds and therefore crime scenes, with potential for more finds in between and further afield?
    And without meaning to be pedantic, from what I can gather from the media coverage, it seems all finds were made by members of the public and not the search teams, but that's somewhat moot.

Not true - the latest finds were by search teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

The Army is out searching. This is a scene of horror. All we should be saying is condolences to the lady's friends and family.

• Advertisement

yep, all fair enough. Just, I never remember such a long stretch of road being closed for anything other than bad weather before

In the words of Bray Garda, it is unprecedented as a crime/ crime scene!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

The fact they first thought the body was 25 year old man vs 60 woman indicates how gruesome it must have been, not a nice job.

the amount of rubbish dumped up there can't have helped with the search, I'd imagine some poor Garda/Soldier has to go through all of that just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Went for a drive just up to Viewpoint yesterday evening and saw 2 guys cycling down from Military Road through the "Road Closed" signs and then down towards Cruagh, also another come up from Hellfire direction and straight through the road closed sign...

Can some people not read?...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

LpPepper wrote: »
    Went for a drive just up to Viewpoint yesterday evening and saw 2 guys cycling down from Military Road through the "Road Closed" signs and then down towards Cruagh, also another come up from Hellfire direction and straight through the road closed sign...

Can some people not read?...

AFAIK "Road closed" signs only apply to Motorised traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

07Lapierre wrote: »

Really? I would have thought any access wouldn't be permitted. If I had cycled up and planned on going towards Featherbeds I would have turned around upon seeing the sign

Road closed is a closed road for all.

Link? The only reference i can find to road closures are in the 1961 Road Traffic act, which refers to "Mechanically Propelled vehicles".

LpPepper wrote: »
    Really? I would have thought any access wouldn't be permitted. If I had cycled up and planned on going towards Featherbeds I would have turned around upon seeing the sign

So would I, but mainly because the reason for the road closure has been very well publicised.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I would thought that was certainly the intention in this case, regardless of the rule of law. Given that a man has been charged and admitted to the killing I'd say we'll have the Military road back sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Has there been any indication if/when the road will be re-opened? Or is there somewhere you can get information?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

thejaguar wrote: »
    Has there been any indication if/when the road will be re-opened? Or is there somewhere you can get information?

From someone i follow on Strava, his ride last night brought him over the Sally Gap from the Manor Kilbride way and then onto Luggula and up Ballinastoe.

He said he had to go that way as the other ways were closed.

No times on this segment this week:
    https://www.strava.com/segments/13033138?filter=overall

Link? The only reference i can find to road closures are in the 1961 Road Traffic act, which refers to "Mechanically Propelled vehicles".

It's closed because it's a crime scene, something that the section from RTA you refer to does not have relevance /regulation on /of. Anyone who passes such a sign in this case is probably commiting an offence - hindering or interfering with a criminal investigation.

Given the circumstances, I can't even see how the relevance of these signs to motor traffic only is up for discussion/ debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

there are businesses in the area that will be decimated by this. They always take a hit in the winter months when the road is impassible, but tend to make up for it this time of year with the amount of walkers, cyclists, sunday drivers, etc.

No one 'needs' to be there, but it's a national park. An amenity available to be enjoyed by anyone who wants.
    Thank Gods

Closing 20 miles of road just seems a bit OTT.

Ironically, there'll have been a lot less cyclists up that road since the botch job they made resurfacing from Lough Bre to Sally Gap.

Thank Gods

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

According to AA Roadwatch Laragh to Glencree is now reopen. Glencree to the viewing point not yet. Hopefully it reopens before Saturday. I am doing a charity cycle across that road.

https://www.theaa.ie/roadwatch/newsroom/

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Razor Russ wrote: »
    According to AA Roadwatch Laragh to Glencree is now reopen. Glencree to the viewing point not yet. Hopefully it reopens before Saturday. I am doing a charity cycle across that road.

https://www.theaa.ie/roadwatch/newsroom/

I'm doing a charity cycle up there myself tomorrow - apparently the organisers have been in touch with the Gardai. I believe they'll get confirmation early in the morning and if the road remains closed they'll be using an alternative route.

I'm doing the Tallaght Hospital Summer 99 cycle.

thejaguar wrote: »
    I'm doing a charity cycle up there myself tomorrow - apparently the organisers have been in touch with the Gardai. I believe they'll get confirmation early in the morning and if the road remains closed they'll be using an alternative route.

I'm doing the Tallaght Hospital Summer 99 cycle.

if you could update us here when you hear it would be appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Anyone giving out about the 'inconvenience', get a fecking life.
    Loads of other roads you can take. If its only your cycling thats being impacted then you arent really impacted at all. Cant believe people are actually checking acts of legislation over this! Just cycling a different fecking road and wait til it reopens. Good Lord.

terrydel wrote: »
    Anyone giving out about the 'inconvenience', get a fecking life.
    Loads of other roads you can take. If its only your cycling thats being impacted then you arent really impacted at all. Cant believe people are actually checking acts of legislation over this! Just cycling a different fecking road and wait til it reopens. Good Lord.

It could not be put better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Anyone know which stretch is still closed? Is it this: https://goo.gl/maps/oQzTzL1WLrH2

Advertisement