Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiddle bugs/leaf hopper larvae?

Options
  • 12-06-2017 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭

Any body else getting more than the usual amount of leaf hopper larvae in the garden at the moment? Just spent most of an hour earlier squashing them on some of the nicer plants in the garden and there still seems to be more around. Have been having little impact on the numbers here and was just interested if anybody thought there was more about this year than average.

I'm just getting my garden established so may be its just that the younger plants are more attractive for the bugs or I'm paying more attention to the plants getting established. Not sure if there is anything can be done to control them. I'd be afraid to use insecticide since there is a good number of bees and hover flies, etc. about that I would not want to kill. I read before about a contraption that could be used to catch the adults by trundling over the crop with fly paper facing down to catch the leaf hoppers as they jumped to escape. Any body know of a way of controlling the larvae?

Advertisement