Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Extension and renting the new room

Options
  • 12-06-2017 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Looking for some information. I have extended my house and got one new bedroom which is self-contained and could be rented.
    Does anyone know if I have to register in (P)RTB if I want to rent it? If yes, is it an easy process?
    Does it fall under 'Rent-a-Room' scheme?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

konline wrote: »
    Looking for some information. I have extended my house and got one new bedroom which is self-contained and could be rented.
    Does anyone know if I have to register in (P)RTB if I want to rent it? If yes, is it an easy process?
    Does it fall under 'Rent-a-Room' scheme?

Thank you in advance.

It falls under rent a room and no requirement to register with PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭konline

It falls under rent a room and no requirement to register with PRTB.

Thank you for your quick response.
    One of the potential tenant is asking me to register in RTB. Do you know it will be ok if I go and register in RTB?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Is the bedroom accessible from the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

konline wrote:
    Looking for some information. I have extended my house and got one new bedroom which is self-contained and could be rented. Does anyone know if I have to register in (P)RTB if I want to rent it? If yes, is it an easy process? Does it fall under 'Rent-a-Room' scheme?

Self contained implies it has a separate entrance and cannot be accessed from the main house so would also have a bathroom and kitchen?

If it's just a room you walk to from the main house then it's just a room and any tenant would be a licensee. No rtb registration required.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

If it is a self contained flat, it must be registered. there is provision to opt out of the notice provisions of the RTA but this must be done at the start of the tenancy. If it is under the same roof as the main house it may qualify for the Rent a room relief scheme.

• Advertisement

Lantus wrote:
    Self contained implies it has a separate entrance and cannot be accessed from the main house so would also have a bathroom and kitchen?

Thank you all for your responses.

Yes it has separate entrance, bed, kitchen and bathroom but it's under one roof.
    Will there be any tax for me or will it fall under rent-a-room scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Yes it has separate entrance, bed, kitchen and bathroom but it's under one roof.

If you have no direct access to the property from your main house it won't qualify for RARR and will be a normal tenancy and must be registered with RTB and included in your tax return

It definitely falls under the rent a room scheme once there is a door from your house to the room and the rent is under 14k per year. The person living there should also be a licensee once you maintain access to that part of the house. The separate entrance does not disqualify the room from rent a room or that the person should automatically get tenants right.

My advice would be steer well clear of the person asking for you to register with the RTB as they should like someone who could potentially be trouble. I would not be allowing a person living in my house to get any rights.

I would advertise it as a room for rent and the house has a second kitchen and a second living room which you "rarely use" but would still have the right to access and use at anytime.

Can it be accessed from the house? That's the main question you have to answer.

If it can then it comes under RARR, if it can't then it's a separate tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP. Potential tenants telling you to register avoid like the plague. The demands will not end there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

OP. Potential tenants telling you to register avoid like the plague. The demands will not end there

The potential tenants may be enlightening the landlord as to his legal obligations, I'm not convinced that's necessarily cause for avoidance.

It's probably sensible for the landlord to clarify his legal position with regards to RTB registration now, before seeking out a tenant that isn't (yet) aware of their rights under the RTA.

pilly wrote: »
    Can it be accessed from the house? That's the main question you have to answer.

If it can then it comes under RARR, if it can't then it's a separate tenancy.

Yes, it can be accessed from my house. I have to step in to my garden to enter in to the new room and kitchen. New room and kitchen is in the garden extension sharing the wall of my kitchen.
    Does it answer your question? Thank you very much.

Yes, it can be accessed from my house. I have to step in to my garden to enter in to the new room and kitchen. New room and kitchen is in the garden extension sharing the wall of my kitchen.

Can you step from your house to the extension without going outside?

Yes, it does answer the question. Unfortunately it's not a good answer for you. This is not simply a room in your house.

It's self contained and therefore has to be registered as a tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

konline wrote:
    Yes it has separate entrance, bed, kitchen and bathroom but it's under one roof. Will there be any tax for me or will it fall under rent-a-room scheme?

Is the entrance internal or external?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

konline wrote:
    Yes, it can be accessed from my house. I have to step in to my garden to enter in to the new room and kitchen. New room and kitchen is in the garden extension sharing the wall of my kitchen. Does it answer your question? Thank you very much.

Put a door from your kitchen into the flat. The door can stay locked. It's a small cost for the door but will save 1000s per per year in tax

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Put a door from your kitchen into the flat. The door can stay locked. It's a small cost for the door but will save 1000s per per year in tax

Not alone the hassle it will save. May not be possible if the adjoining wall is where all the kitchen units etc. are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭irishbigfoot

OP- have a look at Citizens Information for some details...especially:

Self-contained units
    If you rent out a self-contained unit in your home, such as a converted garage attached to your home or a basement flat, the rights and obligations under residential tenancies legislation apply to you. For example, you are obliged to register the tenancy with the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB), provide a rent book to the tenant and ensure that the accommodation provided meets minimum physical standards.

The residential tenancies legislation provides for security of tenure for tenants. These provisions are in Part 4 of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004. However, if the self-contained flat or apartment was originally part of the main house, you can choose to opt out of these provisions. This option is available under Section 25 of the Act. You must give the tenant notice in writing, before the start of the tenancy, if you wish to take this option.

Rooms that are not self-contained
    If the part of your home that you rent out is not self-contained, you are not covered by landlord and tenant legislation, so the rights and obligations under that legislation do not apply to you. For example, you are not obliged to register as a landlord with the RTB, provide a rent book to the tenant or ensure that the accommodation provided meets any minimum physical standards.

This also means that private tenants living in your home are living under a licensee agreement, not a tenancy agreement, and are really only entitled to reasonable notice if you choose to terminate the agreement. Tenants are, however, entitled to refer disputes to the Small Claims Court.

Common claims that are heard by the Small Claims Court include disputes about retention of a tenant's deposit for what they consider unfair reasons, or deductions from rent for damage to property that is over and above normal 'wear and tear'.

Your tenants can find out more about their rights in our document Sharing accommodation with your landlord and can also contact Threshold for advice– see 'Where to apply' below.

Graham wrote: »
    Can you step from your house to the extension without going outside?

Yes, I go to my garden and then open the door of the new room. I don't need to go out of my house.

Yes, I go to my garden and then open the door of the new room. I don't need to go out of my house.

You're not making sense or your deliberately trying to be obtuse. If you go to your garden then you've gone out of your house???

• Advertisement

You either have an indoor garden or you're stepping outside.

You either have an indoor garden or you're stepping outside.

Sorry, got it, this is new to me. Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The rent a room scheme is operated by the Revenue Commissioners. They have a policy with regard to what they will accept for the purpose of tax relief.
    The status of the occupants is entirely different matter. It does not matter whether you are availing of the rent a room tax relief are not, the occupants may well be tenants and registration may be required. It is not the case that if you are in one you are automatically out of the other. There is a specific section in the Residential Tenancies Act dealing with multiunit dwellings where the landlord occupies one unit.
    It simply allows the landlord to act out some of the notice provisions. Registration of the other hassles apply. If it has a separate kitchen et cetera you will not be deemed to be living in the unit and the occupants will not be licensees. The question of access doors is irrelevant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sounds like a granny flat without the internal connection.
    Have you got planning permission for this OP?

RTB required and full tax liability based on what you have said so far.

The rent a room scheme is operated by the Revenue Commissioners. They have a policy with regard to what they will accept for the purpose of tax relief.
    The status of the occupants is entirely different matter. It does not matter whether you are availing of the rent a room tax relief are not, the occupants may well be tenants and registration may be required. It is not the case that if you are in one you are automatically out of the other. There is a specific section in the Residential Tenancies Act dealing with multiunit dwellings where the landlord occupies one unit.
    It simply allows the landlord to act out some of the notice provisions. Registration of the other hassles apply. If it has a separate kitchen et cetera you will not be deemed to be living in the unit and the occupants will not be licensees. The question of access doors is irrelevant.

The person renting the unit will need to have exclusive use in order to make any attempt at claiming rights and I would personally not allow this to occur, you would be insane to let someone even think they could get rights of occupation of a part of your home. I really can't see how its justified giving tenancy rights to a person renting a granny flat, its no different to renting a room imo and there is no way they should be anything other than a licensee.

Essentially a person living in your home who can't be kicked out :confused:

I'd either be getting the person to opt out of it being a tenancy from the start (which in this type of scenario is possible) or else I'd be using the kitchen and/or living room in the granny flat every now and then in order to keep it as part of the main house and thus guaranteeing the person living there is a licensee (in other words the access door is very much relevant. Its also extremely relevant to enable the op claim rent a room relief.

I really can't see how its justified giving tenancy rights to a person renting a granny flat, its no different to renting a room imo and there is no way they should be anything other than a licensee.

I can see the other side of the argument too.

If you're hoping to charge a premium for a 'self contained apartment' over the usual rent for a single room. Simultaneously trying to claim the benefits of a room rental strikes me as a bit 'I'd like to have my cake and eat it'.

I can see the other side of the argument too.

If you're hoping to charge a premium for a 'self contained apartment' over the usual rent for a single room. Simultaneously trying to claim the benefits of a room rental strikes me as a bit 'I'd like to have my cake and eat it'.

You should be having your cake and eating it though in this scenario, I don't see why you shouldn't.

The person is still paying much less than in a one bed apartment and they are under the home owners roof, why should they get any rights. They also most likely share a gas, electricity and broadband connection which again is just not compatible with them attaining rights when they are sharing bills with the home owner.

You should be having your cake and eating it though in this scenario, I don't see why you shouldn't.

The person is still paying much less than in a one bed apartment and they are under the home owners roof, why should they get any rights. They also most likely share a gas, electricity and broadband connection which again is just not compatible with them attaining rights when they are sharing bills with the home owner.

Tax breaks for flouting planning restrictions, interesting thought.

Landlords charging 70% - 90% of the rent for what equates to 40% of an apartment.

NB: generalising here. Not accusing the OP of flouting any regulations.

I was only admiring a Daft Ad for a converted single garage self-contained studio this morning, €675 a month. Another for €850 with special mention that it's not a tenancy but will be a 1 year lease???

Tax breaks for flouting planning restrictions, interesting thought.

Flouting what planning laws (once there is a connecting door)?

• Advertisement

Flouting what planning laws (once there is a connecting door)?

It's not unusual for permission for 'granny-flats' to stipulate they cannot be rented as a separate dwelling.

Self-contained suggests a property is being let as a separate dwelling.

Advertisement